Illustrious Member
Topic starter

US Justice Dept. launches collusion probe into the pricing of download music

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 03/03/2006 5:00 pm
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

That was bound to happen.

Im off to go download ten songs and enjoy capitalism while it lasts...

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

Posted : 03/03/2006 5:42 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

this is a good thing :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 03/03/2006 5:53 pm
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Voodoo, I think you're confused.

Prices set by cartels eliminating the capability for their to be price competition in the market isn't capitalism.

I agree with Twisted .. this is a very good thing.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 03/03/2006 5:55 pm
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member

'tis a sad day...people think you need to pay for downloading. (argh, me mateys!) :lol:

i was imagining a inspirational quote along the lines of "from my cold dead fingers!", but nothing original came together lol

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

Posted : 03/03/2006 5:57 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I'm staying with originals.

I'll stick it to myself someday....maybe. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 03/03/2006 6:27 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

King and Twisted are right. I read an analysis a few years ago that said the free-market price of a downloaded song should probably be in the range of 60-80 cents. That would put industry profits back to the approximate level of the vinyl era, on a percentage basis.

Instead we've heard record labels talking about the price being too low, and I've heard amounts as high as $2.50 per song suggested as 'fair'.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 03/03/2006 6:34 pm
(@alangreen)

Cartel pricing has destroyed comptetition since trade began. Why should we be surprised that we're being ripped off for our paid downloads

A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 03/03/2006 6:42 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i came across this site called MusicNotes. What they do is let you get sheet music, that you print out yourself, for $4.95 an song. Is it me, or is that too much for online sheet music? I don't know what sheet music goes for in a store and with this you have the convenience of printing it out yourself. any ideas?

Posted : 05/03/2006 10:56 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

$4,95 is far too much. A large portion of the cost of sheet music is the management of hard-copy - setting, printing, binding, transport, storage, handling and delivery. Online softcopy eliminates ALL of those costs, except file creation ("setting").

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 05/03/2006 11:45 am