Skip to content
Charitable Opportun...

Notifications
Clear all

Charitable Opportunity to get your music out there.........

22 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I have a friend in CA, Hunter Payne, http://hunterpayne.com who used to play with Bonnie Raitt and worked with Leonard Bernstein.......... anyway, he has just started putting together a thing for the long-term Tsunami relief (it'll take 10 years before that part of the world is truly livable again. What he's doing is putting together some compilation CD's to be sold with the proceeds going toward the long-term help. So far he's got people like Christopher Guest and/or Spinal Tap to participate, one friend is setting him up with Aaron Neville, I just put him in contact with Garth Brooks, and he's got a whole list of big name actor types who also play like Russell Crowe, Kevin Bacon, Steve Martin, Tom Hanks, Jamie Foxx, Christina Applegate, Billy Bob Thornton, Stephen King, Viggo Mortenson, David Lynch, John McEnroe, Jeff Bridges, etc., and we're told that Mr. Former President Bill Clinton is going to contribute a track of his sax playing.

But, he doesn't only want "Brand Names". He wants GOOD/GREAT indie artists (like some of y'all (DHodge :wink: ) or people y'all might know) to participate as well. He's thinking of releasing different CD's of different genres to market to different parts of the country, i.e., a country CD, a blues CD, a rock CD, an indie CD (and possibly a mix of "known" artists and indie artists on one CD.) Like, I am friends with Amos Staggs (who I just happened to design the cover for his "Scattered" CD). http://reloadrecordcompany.com/amosstaggs/ who wrote "The Cowboy Song" that was recorded by Garth Brooks and is on Garth's "In Pieces" CD. How cool would it be to have both the author's version and the version of the person who made it famous on one CD for charity? What he's looking for is NOT slick production, he wants things like studio tapes, an acoustic version of an electric song, unique and, to use his own words, "quirky" things. All submissions MUST be original compositions and the submitter MUST own the rights to the song. He doesn't want covers at all, and demo tapes/CD's are fine. Hunter will take care of the mastering and I will probably do the artwork for the covers.

What's going to happen is this: If you're interested, send me your tape/CD (preferably CD), I will then go through all of those submissions and pick the very best ones to forward to Hunter, who will make the final decision as to which songs/artists will appear on a CD. You will receive NO profits, only the satisfaction of knowing that you got your music and your name out there (possibly even internationally) to a MAJOR audience, and ALL of the proceeds will go to the long-term help for the Tsunami victims. (That ought to help you raise up your karmic points, too!!) :D

If this is something that you think you would like to participate in, either email me or PM me or catch me on MSN or AIM or YIM and I'll give you the address to send your submission. Or, if you have further questions, again, feel free to contact me any way mentioned above.

I really hope a BUNCH of you will send in a track or two.... this is a really worthwhile charity. Hope to hear from a lot of you soon!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/02/2005 12:39 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Woopsie! Double post for some reason!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 15/02/2005 10:55 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just found out that Rami from the Wallflowers is going to participate and so might the rest of the Wallflowers. Rami has also said that he will try to get Sheryl Crow, some of the Black Crows and possibly Minnie Driver and Liz Phair! This is getting bigger every day! Come on y'all! We've already got 2 GNer's ready to participate......... !!!!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 15/02/2005 11:09 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I'll send you one

Posted : 15/02/2005 11:12 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Great! Make that 4 GNer's now! And, thank you, Nick. I PM'd you my address.

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 15/02/2005 11:21 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Elecktra-

What's the timeframe on this? And are you looking for mixdowns ready for mastering or separate tracks for remixing and beyond?

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 17/02/2005 4:05 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Greg, would you like to collaborate?

I have a track in DADGAD that is pretty raw.

If you already have something else in mind, no problem.

Posted : 17/02/2005 4:09 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Awesome idea. If I could play better I'd definitely would have participated. Good luck!

Posted : 17/02/2005 4:10 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Greg, would you like to collaborate?

I have a track in DADGAD that is pretty raw.

If you already have something else in mind, no problem.

Be happy to, Nick.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 17/02/2005 5:10 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Elecktra-

What's the timeframe on this? And are you looking for mixdowns ready for mastering or separate tracks for remixing and beyond?

-Greg

Hunter will do the mastering himself, so mixdowns ready for mastering, or separate tracks for remixing (or both) would be cool! As far as a timeframe...... as long as it takes to get it all together, and since it's for the long-term relief, it doesn't have to be immediate......... you've got plenty of time to work up new stuff..... re-do older stuff.......etc..........

And, I'll PM you my address to send the tracks to. And, thanks for wanting to participate! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 20/02/2005 7:33 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Awesome idea. If I could play better I'd definitely would have participated. Good luck!

Thanks, Arjen! Good thoughts are a good thing!

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 20/02/2005 7:35 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Okay Greg, I sent it off to you and to David.

Check your aol account.

Posted : 01/03/2005 1:17 am
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

gotcha, Nick -- gimme some time to process ...

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 01/03/2005 2:14 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

No rush on my part.

Magic takes time :D

Posted : 01/03/2005 2:16 am
 R3d
(@r3d)
Trusted Member

This sounds like an awesome project! Good luck :)

Posted : 01/03/2005 6:10 am
Page 1 / 2