Notifications
Clear all

how much to charge?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@b3ans)
Topic starter

I've just started gigging with a 3 piece acoustic band playing pubs, mostly week nights, and some weekends and can't work out what we should be charging for a gig, or indeed what an average pub might expect to pay.

We're definitely doing it for the love, but there is an element of wanting to make some extra cash for our selves to supplement the day job. We don't want to sell our selves short if you know what I mean!

There are 3 male adult member covering 2 guitars, 1 bass & 1 vocal. We do a 20 tune set of covers in two halves, both taking around and hour. For each gig we hire in a PA head at a cost of around £25. Speakers etc we have.

So that I can give this some relevance, I should state that I live in England near Gatwick Airport about 30 mile south of London. If you know where this is then you could be able to help.

Anybody got some suggestions or experiences to share?

Thanks

b3ans

Posted : 16/02/2005 2:09 pm
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Setting your rate is kind of complicated. There's going to be a range that clubs/pubs/etc. expect to pay, and that will vary by your location. It's also going to change with other factors - New Year's Eve typically pays more, because everybody wants to tie up the best acts.

Even more important than the standard is what you bring to the club owner. If he's paying bands $150, and they bring 30 people in on average, and your following is 50 people - you're worth $250 to him. He's not hiring your band because he likes the music, it's because it's a business investment; the more folks you bring in to drink his liquor, the more money he makes and the more he can afford to spend.

Factor into your asking price how much you want the gig, and how much hassle it is. I remember being asked in the late 70s to play at a hotel nightclub... it was not very convenient in a lot of ways (long drive, expensive parking, long distance to carry gear to load in, etc.). When the manager asked me what we charged, I figured I'd price us out of the market as a polite way of turning it down. I said "well, we usually get x", mentioning triple our going rate.

When he agreed to the price, I was kind of shocked. I also learned a good lesson - it's a guessing game, but if you guess too low you'll never know it. If you're getting steady work, price high once in a while, or you'll never figure out what your fair price really is.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 16/02/2005 5:24 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Even more important than the standard is what you bring to the club owner. If he's paying bands $150, and they bring 30 people in on average, and your following is 50 people - you're worth $250 to him. He's not hiring your band because he likes the music, it's because it's a business investment; the more folks you bring in to drink his liquor, the more money he makes and the more he can afford to spend.

To follow up on NoteBoat's excellent words...

When you're starting out, you're trying to build your reputation, more than make big money right away. Some people, but not all, recommend that you charge a door fee, and keep all of it. This reduces the risk to the bar, and encourages you to assist with the advertising of your own act. Maybe $2 on weeknights, and $5 on the weekends. But be sure that it's one of your guys who's taking the money, don't trust the bouncer...

Later, when you're well known, you can set a fixed price, as it is the club's best interest to hire you, as you always attract a big crowd.

Read some of the articles by Lesa McCabe, like this one: The Importance of a Contract

Good Luck!

Laz

Posted : 17/02/2005 4:36 pm
(@b3ans)
Topic starter

Thank you both for your replies. I'll have a look at the article.

Basically it sounds as though it's a guessing game, that everyonce in a while you should push your luck with so that you keep an idea of what the water is like?

Start out low. work towards a few you'd like to earn, then take it from there depeneding on your popularity and sucess as a band?

Cheers

b3ans

Posted : 18/02/2005 8:10 am