Skip to content
ChordsAndScales rev...

Notifications
Clear all

ChordsAndScales revamp imminent - Any suggestions?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I've been planning on revamping ChordsAndScales.co.uk for a long time now (since before I launched it actually, what's there is more of a beta version than a full site), and I'm finally making some time to do it - so now's the perfect time for any suggestions you may have... I'd love to hear them.

Basically, what's currently planned is to "AJAX it up a bit", which for the uninitiated means that when you change a note or an option, the screen changes with the new information without reloading the page. It'll much more intuitive, and I think you'll get a better idea of the theory behind the chord you're looking at when you see it built up note by note. I'll, of course, make sure it still works for those without javascript. I'll add a user account system so you can store favourites chords/scales, tunings, etc. too, and I'll also finally get around to unhiding the flash tools, and even adding some more eventually (the tools are here if you not seen a link to them previously - they're open to suggestions too). I'll also be abandoning my crutch of notating every sharp/flat note as sharp :roll: :wink:

One suggestion that crops up now and then that I'm deliberately avoiding is adding sounds. It'd be great to hear the chord or scale on the screen arpegiated, but it'd kill my bandwidth. I'm looking into ways around it (maybe host the sound clips on a seperate bare-bones server that's cheaper for bandwidth) but it's not imminent.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 12/03/2008 12:38 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I guess I don't have any suggestions for improving.

I like the way it works and am used to your chord and scale program the way it is.

Maybe add more content or other useful information but I like the applet.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 12/03/2008 1:27 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Cheers Bish, that's just as valuable ;)

On paper it's shaping up to be remarkably similar layout-wise, but as long as you promise to give the new one a go I don't see any reason why I can't keep the current version going in parallel ;)

Posted : 13/03/2008 12:07 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

The fretboard on which the chords and scales are displayed can be made more wider. A good utlity will be to provide left handed chords (just mirror the right ones).

If possible, you may also provide guidance about where a particular chord is most likely played. In your site, it shows a chord on the entire fretboard, which can confuse a user (especially in case of non-standard major and minor chords).

And the option of reloading a chord without the page refeshing itself is a great one.

Keep up the good work.

P.S. - Why not have the dancing cat as the site's logo ? :P

Posted : 13/03/2008 10:09 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

From the home page you can not navigate to different tunings. That, in and of itself, could be an entire section.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 13/03/2008 4:00 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I like "as is" too, I use it a lot when I study new scales or when I try to find new chord voices.

Perhaps I'd sort the list of chords/scales in a different way. Usually I don't find the minor chord (for example).

I also used the pentatonic scale tool.

Anyway, it is a great tool!

Posted : 13/03/2008 8:12 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Posted : 18/03/2008 11:59 pm