Clear all

Closed Mic Night

16 Posts
12 Users
0 Reactions
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

So, with my wife out of town, I went to a local open mic here, bass in hand. I figured I'd play on songs I knew, or learn some others, or fake it as best I can. I was fully prepared to crash and burn. I wasn't prepared to be ignored.

This open mic is held every Sunday at a local bar that is fairly popular the rest of the week, but quiet on Sundays. I arrived at 9:30, and introduced myself to the host. I made it very clear that I was willing to play just about anything with anyone. There was one young man playing acoustic, and he had brought a handful of supporters. They left together around 10p, leaving about 10 people, half musicians. There was a 15 minute break, and then an "old hand" got up and played a well-structured set for 20+ minutes. Another 15 minute break, and no one acted like they were ready to play. I asked around if anyone played Van Morrison or Rolling Stones, songs I know fairly well, but found no takers. At 11p, with no one on stage, I departed.

Now I realize that since I don't sing, I can't really lead songs, but it was still more awkward than I expected.

I plan to go back with my wife, who sings, because I think it was a good set-up, and perhaps we can encourage more openness. There is also another acoustic open mic nearby that I will look into, as well as an electric open-band night.

One thing that this experience did reinforce - the "Riverside Jam" concept is the best, whenever and wherever we host one(Black Friday, 4th of July, in Scrybe's living room, etc). We remember that we were all beginners once (some of us still are), and that simple songs are still good songs. We always make sure that things are open and inclusive, and I am glad that I have learned to play well with others, even when I don't play that well. (That's a nod to David, Greg, Nick etc).

I know that this sounds preachy or whiny, but I figured it still adds to the community.

Posted : 08/12/2008 7:18 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well that's not very welcoming to just ignore you like that. :x I've never been to an open mic, but if that happened to me, I don't think I'd go back! :evil:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/12/2008 9:32 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I agree. Not sure I'd go back as well. Although, it may have just been a slow night. And I guess it beats getting booed off of he stage!! :lol:

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 08/12/2008 9:37 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Heck, I'd go back. I'd go a few times just to get a feel for what is or isn't going on and when the time is right make it happen. Maybe take another guitarist so you can support yourself, if needed.

I think you have the right idea and right intentions but just need to get up there and take over. 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 08/12/2008 10:41 pm
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Laz
it's a shame that you didn't get to play. I know from the experiences I've had with regard to music club nights and open mikes, is that the ones that work well are the ones where someone takes charge, and makes sure everyone gets a go. I think I would go back with a guitarist and see how things progressed. Maybe later you might be able to introduce some structure.

Cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 08/12/2008 11:35 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Maybe take another guitarist so you can support yourself, if needed.
Heck, take two guys with you . . .
in case anybody gives you trouble . . . these two . . .

We're on a mission . . .

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 09/12/2008 1:36 am
(@davidhodge)

It may just be me and it may just be semantics, but there is a distinct difference between an open mic and an open jam. So much so that there are clubs that do both.

An open jam (and usually they tend to be "blues jams") is usually just that. And all instruments and players are usually given their due. People running open jams are actively aware of working everyone in and keeping the playlist simple and inclusive.

But an open mic has always inferred a performance aspect to it. People often come to have their moment in the spotlight, more often than not playing their own songs. Sometimes a place will have a "house band" to back up solo performers, but that is usally at the request of the performer. Sometimes a performer will ask someone from the audience to play with, but again this is at the request of the performer. Usually the people running open mics are, essentially, emcees, and don't worry about anything except for getting people on and off and making sure the sound is working. Inclusivity is not usually on their list of priorities.

Of course, it's all different wherever you go, but I suspect that most places that say "open mic" do not think "open jam." There are certainly places where the lines are blurred and there are times when open mics become open jams and vice versa. The best course of action, whenever possible, is to talk with the folks running the show ahead of time or, better still, go a week in advance and scout it out.

As always, just my two cents and certainly not the definitive word. And certainly not the way I'd run things :wink:

Peace

Posted : 09/12/2008 3:13 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

It may just be me and it may just be semantics, but there is a distinct difference between an open mic and an open jam. So much so that there are clubs that do both.

Ah, there is wisdom in what you say. Terminology is everything. I'll report back after my/our next visit.

Posted : 09/12/2008 3:52 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Laz, I'm guessing you just took a bass guitar and weren't about to sing? I'd guess most people who go to open mics go with an acoustic, or an electric and amp, and either play instrumentals or do the singer/songwriter thing. They're not going to want to have to explain their songs / chord structure / rhythm patterns to a total stranger. Like David said, an open jam's different - everybody gets to play.

Still, those few hours at Scrybe's (where the hell has she disapeared to!) were great fun - you and Laura being old hands at these jams guided us through it fairly painlessly. Heck, I didn't even know a lot of the songs....but there was nothing too difficult to pick up. You're right when you say simple songs - 3/4 chorders - can be a lot of fun. Thanks again for that!

Next time you go there, take Laura and her guitar - at least that way, you'll know you get a chance to play. Shame you had a bad night, but hey, you'll know next time.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 09/12/2008 4:08 am
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Disappointing for sure, but I never expect things to work out to my own script when I turn up to anywhere for the first time. Sometimes I get to join in whatever the activity is, and sometimes I just get to watch and chat. But that's OK, and it all helps me prepare better for the next time.

The points that have been made about having plenty of flexibility are good ones too. I tended to play one instrument in one way (rough and simple campfire strummer style rhythm guitar) but have started trying to add more strings to my bow. Things like more styles, other instruments, and most of all learning how to sing. That way I figure I'm maximising my chances to join in - even if I have to do it all myself. :wink:

Hope it goes better for you next time.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted : 09/12/2008 11:47 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Laz, I'm guessing you just took a bass guitar and weren't about to sing?

That would not make a good first impression.
Next time you go there, take Laura and her guitar - at least that way, you'll know you get a chance to play.

That's why I keep her around. 8)

Posted : 10/12/2008 12:36 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I agree with what David said all of the Open Mic's I've been to DID NOT include random people coming up and joining in. As a matter of fact most have a time limit on your set and you usually have to sign in ahed of time and the host like David said is just an emcee getting people on and off stage efficiently.

Laz I wouldn't feel bad I've never been to an Open Mic where you could just join in.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 10/12/2008 5:06 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Our Open Mic Nights at The Royal Oak, Gretton, Gloucestershire, every Wednesday night are a cross between an Open Mic and an Open Jam.

If you turn up before 9:00pm the start time "Mike" (no pun intended) the guy who runs it will fit you in even if you get time for only one song. He has no problem wth the person who is on asking anybody up to help them out vocally or instrumentally. It's all helps the evening go well and sometimes people unxepctedly click and create real musical gems.

Sometimes the evening goes so well we overun past closing time and Mike just shuts off the PA and lets anybody who wants to, carry on completely un-plugged. Usually then there is a lot of audence participation as the person still playing is probably sat at a table amongst them.

Even though the bar is shut the landlord is having so much fun it doesn't push people to leave the pub. Makes for some very late nights in the middle of the working week but I love it.

Talking of which I haven't been for a month now, I ought to get down there more often in the new year. I feel a resolution coming on.

Guess I'm luucky to have such an "open" open mic to go to Laz !

Good luck with further attempts at getting on Laz.

All the best,

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 18/12/2008 12:09 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Talking of which I haven't been for a month now, I ought to get down there more often in the new year. I feel a resolution coming on.

So do I - I'm going to have to take a trip down to your part of the world, Chris. Maybe towards the end of January/early February? I'll lock meself away over the "festivities" and get some serious practise time in!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 18/12/2008 2:57 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I had heard of, and expected to find, a situation similar to what Chris describes. I know of a couple of places that do it that way.

As an aside, here is a site that lists many open mics:

http://openmikes.org/

Posted : 18/12/2008 4:23 pm
Page 1 / 2