Clear all

Daylight Savings Time

35 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Y'all probably already know that, in the US at least, (I'm not sure about other countries!! :oops: ), daylight savings time is starting three weeks early and ending a week later this year, so, of course, our computers have to be told that things have changed.

Here is a link for the Microsoft fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst

EDIT: Daylight Savings Time begins on March 11th.

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 05/03/2007 8:45 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I wish they'd just work it back around to staying on it all the time, like we did in 1973-4. They aren't likely to go back to standard time. I hate changing.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/03/2007 9:26 pm
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

In Australia some states have it others don't

Queensland where I live , don't have it

New South Wales do have it

Both are are on tthe East coast of OZ , when daylight saving is in we have I think from memory 6 different time zones ...

Very confusing this little bloke

I'm in favour for it myself , one of the reasons why Queenslanders don't have daylight saving was ...and this will bring a smile

The extra sun light will fade the curtains ....

What the ???

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

Posted : 05/03/2007 9:52 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I always miss it when it happens, so I'm always an hour late or early twice a year. Stupid system.

Posted : 05/03/2007 10:21 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Thanks Elecktrablue, we will change the clock on March 25th according to the directives of the European Parliament.

I think the daylight savings time is very important, we are saving a lot of energy with this simple idea. In a couple of days the body is adapted.

Posted : 05/03/2007 10:34 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I doubt we save a lot of energy. I saw an estimate in the newspaper this morning that in the U.S. the time change accounts for perhaps a 1-2% energy saving overall. However, if someone came up with a new light bulb or electric motor design that resulted in a 1% overall saving, it would be hailed as a great event. Depends on how you look at it. Anyway, I despise the change. I'd rather stay on one or the other. I'd pick the daylight saving, personally.

Posted : 05/03/2007 11:12 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

The idea of DST dates back to the 18th century, I doubt energy conservation is the core issue. If energy conservation was of any importance to anyone then the world would look a whole lot different anyway.

I simply oppose the idea: you don't save daylight one way or the other, there's just as much light in each day. If people want to get out of bed an hour later then that's cool with me but why force me to do the same? You don't see me trying to force my Nightlight savings time on anyone...

Posted : 06/03/2007 12:05 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Daylight eh? I must give it a try sometime.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 06/03/2007 12:14 am
(@tjk0225)
Eminent Member

In Australia some states have it others don't

The extra sun light will fade the curtains ....

Lived in Indiana until last year, the first year that state adopted daylight savings. We always used to joke that Indiana would never go on daylight saving time because it confused the cows.

Tom

Posted : 06/03/2007 12:26 am
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

I also think that they should just leave it the same, one way or another. Either is fine, just quit changing back and forth.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

Posted : 06/03/2007 3:00 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I doubt we save a lot of energy. I saw an estimate in the newspaper this morning that in the U.S. the time change accounts for perhaps a 1-2% energy saving overall.
I don't have real data, however, I guess the 1-2% energy saving of the USA is a very important number.

For example, my country is a very small one compared to USA and here some people speak about 5-8% taking into acount the energy for light and also the air conditioned, at home and at commerce: 60 million euros per year. (Source: the Spanish Institute of Energy, Reference.)

I also think the problem is not only the daylight saving time...
However, if someone came up with a new light bulb or electric motor design that resulted in a 1% overall saving, it would be hailed as a great event.
Last week I heard in the news the Australian government is promoting the use of low energy light bulbs. In some years (I think three or so) they will use the new ones only.

One small step for man...

Posted : 06/03/2007 8:10 am
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why is that so imortant Nuno? And what's the big deal about 60 million euros? I doubt suddenly money appears so it means someone gets it and someone else loses it. Who loses it? Who gets it? Or is it divided upon each citizen, so after a full year of changing times we all get a whole dollar for it? Will it bring or take money from the streets? What will they, whomever earns it, do with that money? What will the effect be on the Spanish economy? How will that effect the European Union?

Posted : 06/03/2007 10:41 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Uff! So many questions... I'll try to summarize...

This money is saved by the users of that energy: citizens, stores, small and big enterprises, city councils and other official buildings. We can search a lot of examples for each stage: the citizens can use the money for buying guitar strings or even for paying a mortgage; enterprises reduce the costs and can earn more money or reduce the prices for the products and services. Et cetera.

On the other hand, it is well-known that the energy can not be stored. The first time I was in Belgium I was very surprised because all the highways are completely lighted. They used the energy excess in this way, the alternative was to lose it. If a country reduces the energy consumption, it can also reduce the expenses related to energy producing. Maybe such nuclear generator or such aero-generator collection can be avoided. And that money can be employed for other purposes: healthcare, schools... or jails. An old Spanish tale says politicians prefer invest in jails because they will never return to the school...

A new argument which we can also use is also the reduction of CO2 emitted to the atmosphere. The same report includes numbers such as 27,000 tons of CO2 per year.

Sorry for my bad English. I hope the basic idea was transmitted.

Posted : 06/03/2007 1:25 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Energy savings from compact fluorescent bulbs are BIG. A 15-18W one puts out as much light as a 60W incandescent bulb, or more. I'm gradually switching over as incandescent bulbs burn out, and I really like the new bulbs. BUT, they also contain mercury vapor and the phosphors contain toxic substances such as beryllium. Big waste disposal problem. True of older fluorescent tubes as well. And you can't use compact fluorescents with a dimmer. They don't like starting up in the cold, either.

Posted : 06/03/2007 2:55 pm
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

And I thought Daylight Savings Time was all about Baseball!

I posted a rant that got alot of people going on another board about the envrionment, energy savings through grocery store and convienience store refridgerated displays. I'll save you all from the anguish. As usual, it turned into a Liberal vs. Conservative bash out. I was just explaining some "fussy math." :D

Just in case anyone is interested:
http://www.hypnos.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=638

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

Posted : 06/03/2007 4:12 pm
Page 1 / 3