Clear all

end of an era

28 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I have had a great few years with the band i am in, all great lads and good friends - two of them work colleagues as well. We started when two of us were just learning to play our instruments (far too soon), and ended up with a great local reputation as one of the most sought after pub party bands in our area. The last 12 months especially has been outstandingly good fun and incredibly busy :D

We are booked up until christmas, but our singer asked us this week not to accept any more bookings than those we have, and not to extend our bookings into next year - he has booked in some solo gigs as a singer/keyboard player to backing tracks and wants to branch out on his own (more money that way for him).

That is fair enough, and i wish him well and will definitely be there supporting him when he plays, but it seems the other lads do not want to go on without us all being together, and this December we will play our last gig.

Im a bit bummed out by this, as i have never had as much fun as i have with these fine fellows over the last 3 years.

After we split i will use the following 12 months to hammer my technique without the distraction of a band, and then i will try to start again - but friday and saturday nights will not be the same again :D

anybody else had a band disband prematurely?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 25/03/2011 8:29 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats too bad. I think your singer will find it is not as much fun going solo. Does he need the money that bad? Our band got stopped short before we could get going. Not going to quit though. The drummer situation is clear. We have none. :lol: I think we are now more motivated to find one though because we really had fun. On the bright side, if you wanted to go on you have nearly a year to attract a replacement and convince the others to change their minds. Too bad you don't live in a resort town. Your vocalist could do both. There is a guy in St. Augustine Florida that plays solo and is in two groups. He plays day and night literally, doing the solo gigs in the afternoons. By the way I am impressed you are honoring your remaining bookings. That is very professional.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 26/03/2011 4:52 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

have hope. december is far far away. things could change for the better.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 26/03/2011 1:00 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes, December gives you 9 more months, and perhaps it can continue. Maybe it will lead to a new, expansive fun venture?

Expansive, not expensive, and you might expand :shock: , not expend? :lol: Yeah, keep your chops up and stay in shape.

I have never been in a real band for more than a gig or two, and a fill-in. Jeez, they should call me the "temp".

So, hold the crying towels, maybe you'll form a duo, or else you'll be alone, like me. :roll: Good luck, eh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5rVmXyZP5s

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 26/03/2011 1:13 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sorry to hear that, but, December is a way off like everyone says. (I looked it up....it's true) You never now what's in store for you.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/03/2011 3:46 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

cheers for the replies guys -

Blue jay - solitary man, nice touch :D

Whatever happens will be good - if he changes his mind and doesnt like the solo gigs (he starts them next month), then that is all good. If he decides he still wants to leave, then it can only open other opportunities for other things which will be exiting!

i have to admit i am looking forward to seeing him play live on his own, it will be very strange but i will at least not be the designated driver and ill be able to have a beer!! :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 26/03/2011 5:48 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I'm thinking one of you need to start stepping up to the mic off and on this year and see if you can polish you singing voices and start singing

Paul B

Posted : 26/03/2011 6:46 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I'm thinking one of you need to start stepping up to the mic off and on this year and see if you can polish you singing voices and start singing
yeah, I agree. I have always found this true.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 26/03/2011 7:54 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well Al I can understand what you are feeling, your right it won't be the same and only time will tell if you what's in store for you.

I won't begin to suggest what might happen because you never know. Just go with the flow and see where it takes you.

My gut feeling is that he probably won't come back but you never know, guess you have to decide if you want to replace him or not. You do still have the rest of the band right?

If you have a bit of a following already then I'd say it probably shouldn't be to hard to replace him although the chemistry is the most important thing at least to me it is. That may be hard to replace.

Personally I'm more into the band as friends that jam rather than a bunch of strangers that make music but that's me. I think you are more into playing than I am and I would think you could find another band to play in if you wanted to pursue that angle.

Good luck either way.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 28/03/2011 2:04 pm
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I've seen a band break up prematurely. I was the reason why. Long story.

Since you have a bit of a following, I urge you to look around for another singer & encourage your rhythm section to hang on. That kind of momentum is invaluable. (Singers are a dime a dozen. Drummers are hard to find, as are bassists. If you rhythm section is solid, you're golden.)

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

Posted : 28/03/2011 2:44 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Cheers guys :D

Your right about keeping momentum, that did take a long time up, but like you cnev, i really am into this band because we are all mates, and it makes the weekend great fun. If we did disband i think I would only be interested in joining an already established band, as having done the leg work to get up and running once, i don't want to go through that again :D

I'm going to enjoy this year and see what turns up. Replacing him won't be easy as he also plays keyboards for us and he is really good, so we would realistically need to get two people in his place :)

Posted : 28/03/2011 5:41 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Al I know all about the leg work and you're right it's a lot of work and since we lost a memeber we could never get that same mojo back and we weren't as far along as you guys were so I can't blame you for not wanting to deal with that.

I see what our ex-drummer is going through and I really don't have a big desire to jump into the band drama. He's been with his new band since a few weeks after our guitar player passed away sometime in Sept., since then they are on their second bass player and now they just got a new singer after having all of one gig. I've been to a couple of their practices (they want me to do their sound) and they are pretty good but I don't get a great vibe. It's just 4 strangers thrown together to play music. maybe in time there will be some chemistry there but right now I'm not seeing it, and all the guys are good musicians it's not that there is anything wrong with the playing.

You wouldn't have a problem finding another band if that's what you decide to do.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 28/03/2011 5:55 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Cheers guys :D

Your right about keeping momentum, that did take a long time up, but like you cnev, i really am into this band because we are all mates, and it makes the weekend great fun. If we did disband i think I would only be interested in joining an already established band, as having done the leg work to get up and running once, i don't want to go through that again :D

I'm going to enjoy this year and see what turns up. Replacing him won't be easy as he also plays keyboards for us and he is really good, so we would realistically need to get two people in his place :)
As was said.... if you have a solid Bass, drum and guitar.... work with that. Lots of three peice bands out there. May have to refocis, and maybe alter your style a little.... but that might be good anyways.... Might just be the spark to keep you guys together.

Paul B

Posted : 28/03/2011 6:43 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm all for the mates thing as well so I don't blame you for that Al. We sort of have that built in with it being my son and myself. We are buddies and do a lot of things together. That is what makes finding the drummer a little harder. It needs to be a new friend as well as a new drummer. That is why a better singer than me would be nice, but not at the expense of it being a "buisness" relationship. With all his problems, we really liked Tommy and considered him a friend. He was my wifes best friends son to boot. She said he looked up to me as he never really had much of a father. Oh well, I'm rambling. Yes, making music with friends is topps!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 28/03/2011 7:14 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

All I can add is that I've played music with a lot of strangers, and after a session or two, they became friends, and a few have become good friends. And I've tried playing music with some other friends, and it didn't sound too good. It works either way.

Posted : 29/03/2011 3:11 pm
Page 1 / 2