Clear all

end of an era

28 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Laz very true, but was the level of musicianship equal in both groups..not that it matters, but being good friends doesn't necessarily mean the best music but for me it does equal the most fun. I'd rather make music that wasn't as "good" vs "better" music with people I have no other connection to other than the music we are playing.

Like everything else in life different strokes for different folks.

When I'm with my what I'll call "real" friends I am much looser and able to do things (not just playing)I wouldn't do in front of musical aquantinces.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/03/2011 4:07 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

All I can add is that I've played music with a lot of strangers, and after a session or two, they became friends, and a few have become good friends.

That nails one of the best aspects of music - its capacity to be a catalyst for friendship and shared enjoyment. Music has certainly been the start of many good times for me, even at my fairly basic playing level.

Chris

To Almann1979

All the best with finding the next direction for your playing. The end of one era always also marks the beginning of a new era, so something will come along. It sounds like you've got a good foundation to build the next stage on so, whichever way it goes, you've now got experience that you can't buy. Good luck with it all.

Chris

Posted : 29/03/2011 11:19 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Sorry to hear about that, I hope it works out for you, and the singer does have plenty of time to change his mind..

Posted : 31/03/2011 6:10 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hello everybody - just thought i would say a big hello and give an update on this situation.

The second band i am in (with the drummer from the one which looks to be comming to an end), seems to be making great gains, and i sort of resigned myself to the fact that this would become my one and only gig (despite me not being a fan of the type of music we play).

However, the singer this thread was about, has since decided going solo might not be a great idea, and he wants to go out as an acoustic duo - i was also very surprised that he has asked me to join him as the guitar player (i never really thought he rated me too much).

Im not sure what to make of this as
1) I still want our band to remain together - i just love the guys in it, and
2) I only "play" acoustic stuff for fun, every now and then while I "practice" lead guitar every day and it is fast becoming my strongest area by a long way. I really have no idea how much work it would take to get my acoustic playing upto the level it would need to be to be confident I can gig in the busy pubs in manchester city centre (where he lives).

Still, it is nice to know there are options out there.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 18/06/2011 4:09 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Hi,
It nice that you've got a few options, as one door closes and all that, hopefully something else might turn up too that is more what you want, good luck with what ever you decide :D

Posted : 18/06/2011 5:34 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Just an update on this situation.

Our lead singer/keys player has now moved, cannot travel up for practice, and can only play gigs that are well paid to cover travel costs. So, in essence, he has now left the band, without severing all ties.

In return, we found a female singer, and a heavy metal guitar player who was an old neighbor of mine.

We did our second gig with this line up last night, and I have to say, this is a change for the better. Even the boring songs (at least ones that I am now bored of playing), like mustang Sally and I'm a believer are performed as if they were rock songs, to much surprise to anybody watching.

This extra edge to all our songs, really makes us stand out from what we were before. Also, all the sound issues we had, have suddenly vanished - there is no huge sustained keyboard drowning out everything else.

Things for a while got a bit depressing, but we are now all much happier and the response from the crowds so far has been nothing but complimentary.

At least we know we can keep going now. It definitely is the end of an era, and we would all like to thank our singer for what he did for us, who was a lot. However, I really think we are better than ever now.

I'll stick some recordings from last nights gig up soon.

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 09/04/2012 5:10 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Way to go Al glad it's all working out.

Posted : 09/04/2012 5:22 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Didn't realise you were also logged on, I was just reading through your thread about thursday.
Sounds like it went well!!!

How long before you get enough material to go back do you think? Also, what did your daughter think about the gig, family members are always the most brutally honest, so any compliment from them can be doubled!

Posted : 09/04/2012 5:27 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

This is really good news. Not surprising at all, either. I remember some of the previous battles. Glad to hear it's working out. 8) 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 09/04/2012 5:38 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

She said it was good that night and again yesterday when I saw her, but I asked her if she thought we sounded better than she expected, worse or about the same.

She said we sounded a little better than she expected.

Even though this was a fairly short gig there are a bunch of things I made mental notes about including my screwups that I want to discuss with the band (kind of a review as it is) but I don't want to come off the wrong way and get everyone pissed at me.

I just think we should talk about what was good and what was bad. The bad wasn't really bad just wasn't as good as the rest.

Posted : 09/04/2012 5:41 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks Roy, I can't tell you how relieved we are things have worked out.

Cnev, It's a shame we don't live close, putting on a band night would be great fun if the both our bands played :D
I get what your saying about reviewing parts. We routinely record all our gigs, and listening back it is amazing sometimes that things you think sound good don't and vice versa.

Posted : 09/04/2012 5:45 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

well, here is the link to my soundclick page with recordings of the new line up.

ignore most of the songs on their - they are old, very old and are with the old line up :-)

"sweet child of mine", "johnny b goode" and "will you" where recorded at the second gig with the new line up.

the microphone was placed right in front of the rhythm guitarists amp, so the sound mix, doesnt sound quite right, but it gives a half good idea of what we sound like now :D

here is the link

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=835776

Posted : 11/04/2012 9:54 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I have to catch up on this thread. my bad.
any way.
I listened to your soundclick songs.
hey, sounds good. I have to say it takes the Brits to play a Classic American early rock song right.
I like the guitar on all the songs. nice licks. I can't do that.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 11/04/2012 11:06 pm
Page 2 / 2