Excited about Jam

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Went to my guitar lesson last night and first thing that my teacher told me was that he was holding a jam this coming Sat. Apparently, he used to do this quite a bit. He would hold a jam session for all his students to come and participate in for free :D . I am so excited.

He said the last time it ended up where only one person, other than him, would show. I said "Ahh so basically it ended up just being a free lesson" :D

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 23/09/2005 9:53 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)
That's a great idea. Enjoy the jam!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 23/09/2005 9:56 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Turned out to be alot of fun but man if I didnt feel out of place. Everyone else was pretty darn good. I felt kind of lost and I probably would have let my shyness get in the way but my teacher kind of threw me "under the bus"

They started a rythem and then went around in the circle with each person doing a little lead. Well when it got to me I wasnt even holding my guitar. So my teacher says "C'mon man, your turn" and I kind of motioned that I'd just pass this time around. Well he pressured on and "naa man, pick it up and lets go" so feeling a little guilty and alot of pressure I picked it up and just played. It sounded half decent and I felt good about myself.

I really like this guy. He fun, he easy to relate to, knows what buttons to push. I am so lucky to have met him and kept him as my instructor all this time.

We're doing it again next Sat. I cant wait.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 24/09/2005 8:02 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Jams are awesome! Pay attention to what other people are doing and you can learn a LOT!

Don't worry about feeling out of place, everyone was in your shoes at one point. I'm glad to hear you had fun, cause thats what it's all about.

Good luck and have fun at the next one!

Mike

Posted : 24/09/2005 8:09 pm
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Geoo, that sounds awesome! I'd have felt a little out of place as well. Heck, I feel that way still when my buddy comes by to jam. I've known this guy for over 20 years too! I think we think too much about it, rather than just playing. I've apologized to my friend before because I didn't feel I contributed much to the jam session. His response is always "I didn't notice. You did fine.". Maybe he's being nice, or maybe I was just thinking too much. The later is probably more likely.

Anyway, enjoy and have fun!!!

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 30/09/2005 2:45 pm
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Jim,

Did you guys have another jam? If so, how did it go?

Mike

Posted : 05/10/2005 2:17 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Geoo, that is awesome.

Sounds like a great teacher too. Smart!

My teacher did something similar, he said that he does a recital every year, with around 200 or so people at them and "you're playing in it". I was like "uhhh...ok" SCARED OUT OF MY MIND RIGHT FROM THAT SECOND. He didn't say "can you come" it was "YOU'RE COMING, THATS IT" Let me know what it felt like to play infront of a large crowd. Or, a crowd in general.

Anyways, glad it went well, hope you learned! :)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 05/10/2005 2:28 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Jim,

Did you guys have another jam? If so, how did it go?

Mike

I wasnt able to make it to the one last Sat. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off and next thing I know... I am late. I THINK there is one this coming Sat though and I will be at that one. I have been playing regular with a buddy from work that that helps ALOT. Also, writing music in The Sunday Songwriters group is helping my playing and confidence a ton.
he said that he does a recital every year

I shouldnt read this early in the morning. I could have sworn that you wrote "rectal" and not "Recital". We do recitals too. Seems like they do 3 or 4 of them a year. The next one is in December for Christmas and I think I am either going to do "Silent Night" from David Hodge's lesson or "In The Bleak Midwinter" from Doug Sparlings lesson.

I would prefer the song from Doug's lesson because its lesser known and I am sure the crowd will get alot of "Silent Night" type songs. But I am not altogether sure I can play "In The Bleak Midwinter" by then. Also, not quite sure how I am going to play that flute and my guitar at the same time. LOL :lol: :lol: 8)

Opps more than you guys wanted to know. Somedays I feel like those little old ladies that trap you into conversation just so they have someone to talk to. :D

Geoo

Posted : 05/10/2005 8:40 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

haha.

We love hearing it bud.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 05/10/2005 1:50 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

good to hear you joined in, there's nothing better for learning than playing with more experienced players....

Keep jamming, you'll keep growing and learning as a guitarist....

Good luck and happy picking!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 05/10/2005 3:31 pm