Clear all

First band and first gig

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Just thought it would be nice to hear about peoples first gig and how they formed their first band. I am looking to do both these things and would like to learn from other peoples mistakes and ideas as would alot of other newbies who probably have these goals too.

Thanx

Posted : 10/10/2005 5:33 pm
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I formed my first band just two weeks ago. I've only been playing for a little of a year and the band is just me and my two friends (one friend plays bass, another plays drums. Might be getting another friend who plays guitar involved soon.) So, I'm obviously no expert, but I've picked up a few things so far. Having fun should always be a goal of the band even if you plan to make it big and want to be serious. Playing other peoples music is cool, but you should definetly write some of your own songs as soon as you can. Be courteous to other members, play with a metronome when you practice so you can stay in time with the rest of the band and generally have a sense of tempo. Don't worry about comming up with a name, the bands experiences will come up with one soon enough. If you want to gig, marketing yourself is the most important thing; the most skilled band doesn't always get the gigs so make sure you make connections. Don't be afraid to show the band a riff or chord progression you cam up with. And, again, have fun.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

Posted : 10/10/2005 5:48 pm
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

Alright well in my first band i was the drummer but I can give some advice:

- Try to be democratic on any big and small decisions
- You really can never practice TOO much
- If you play guitar and use distortion, know the difference between a good distorted sound and just LOUD NOISE

- Everyone in the band doesn't need to be the best player in the world, being friends and having passion for the music is really alot more important

As for gigs, expect the worst. I remember playing a gig when all of a sudden part of the bass drum broke. Not being a very knowledgable drummer, we didn't know what to do! :shock:

Steve-0

Posted : 10/10/2005 5:49 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Hey, I'm going to move you down to "Gigs & Jams". And you might want to look through the thread "First Gigs" there. It's got some great stories. (Sticky thread at the top of the page)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 10/10/2005 7:49 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

deanobeano

My first band was many years ago with my younger brother and two school buddies. We lasted about 8 months and played two parties I think.

I think it is important to be organized. For instance, have a copy of each song for every member with all the lyrics and chord changes. Even if you don't sing, knowing the lyrics helps everyone know precisely when to make chord changes, and makes the songs more meaningful to everyone as well.

If you have a blackboard, set it up and write down the songs you know. Practice your songs in order each week just like you would play them at a gig.

Don't play so loud. Go for a good tight sound. And what good are lyrics if nobody can hear the singer because all the instruments are too loud? So try to get a professional sound just like you hear on recordings.

As Steve-O said, you can never practice too much. Have at least one good 4 or 5 hour practice each week on a set day at a set time. Hopefully you know some good guys who love to practice. If you can practice twice, or even three times a week you will get good quick. Practice makes perfect.

If you practice at your home, or a buddy's home, have respect. Don't trash the place. If the parents ask you to bring the volume down, do so. Otherwise you are going to get kicked out. And don't mess around with drinking and other bad things, especially at someone else's home. So have respect.

Try to have fun. All bands experience stress, it is natural. But try not to fight, and learn to compromise. If one member wants to play a song that you hate, go along. You may discover you actually love it. Let everybody have say in the band.

Don't be afraid to change covers. You don't have to sound just like the original artist. Usually, that is impossible anyway. So play a song YOUR WAY. Every band has it's own groove and sound. Discover yours.

Have lots of fun and much success.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 11/10/2005 1:08 am