Notifications
Clear all

First jam session

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@blackout187)
Topic starter

I've been playing guitar for almost a year and taking lessons for about three months. I just scheduled to jam with someone I found on a local music/band website....TOMORROW. I was just wondering, cuz I'm pretty nervous :( (and excited :D ), how skilled should one be? He plays drums and has been playing for 3 years. I know it can't hurt to try but I don't want it to discourage me. Any suggestions or comments is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Posted : 20/09/2004 9:11 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Blackout

Don't be nervous. Have fun.

My advice would be to have as many songs as possible prepared. Even if it's just the lyrics with the chord changes written over them. It would be especially great if either of you can sing the songs. If you could figure out just 3 or 4 songs from beginning to end and sing them, I would consider that a highly successful 1st jam.

Then take some time to just let go and improvise. Rock out!

If you have a music stand I would take that. Do either of you have a microphone? If so, bring that and a stand as well. Even if you have to sing through your guitar amp that will give you a fuller sound. I've done that many times.

Just have fun. Who knows, you may really click. Then all you need is a bass player! 8)

Let us know how it turns out.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 20/09/2004 9:55 pm
(@blackout187)
Topic starter

Thanks for your support Wes. I have some basic songs that I know which involved generally only 3 chords(sometimes more). A couple of the songs that I know are Freebird, Down on the Corner, and Wonderwall. I'm working on When I Come Around by Green Day as my teacher is using that to help me learn barre chords. I don't know yet what kind of music he is into, but I like just about any kind of music and am willing to try different types. I've also been working on Master of Puppets but that has always been quite a challenge for me. I guess I'm just overly nervous...just have to go there and see. Oh and I don't have any equipment other than my cheap practice amp and cheap guitar. Thanks

Posted : 20/09/2004 10:27 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Blackout

There is nothing wrong with simple songs. One of the best ways for a band to get going quick is learn many 2, 3, or 4 chords songs. Listeners do not count or care how many chords are in a song. If it sounds good, they'll like it.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 21/09/2004 12:47 am
(@blackout187)
Topic starter

I jammed last night and it went pretty well. I began playing with the drummer and played a few songs while he played along with me. Then, when I ran out of songs, he suggested I just play some three chord combos, so I made a few up, created a stumming pattern and just jammed to that for awhile. It was fun :P He was a decent drummer and I kinda suprised myself in that I was able to keep up with the beat pretty well.

Then one of his roommates, who has a bass, came down and began playing along with us. He's only had his bass less than a year and hardly plays so he was kinda just hitting notes at random.

All in all, I think it was a really positive experience and while it kinda puts me in my place as far as ability, it gives me even more motivation to practice and put the time in. Thanks for your advice Wes. I'm looking forward to jamming again. Any musicians in the Omaha Nebraska area willing to jam?

Posted : 22/09/2004 2:41 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 22/09/2004 2:46 pm