Notifications
Clear all

first mini gig

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@freestringer)
Topic starter

hello everybody. First i will say this is my second post i think to a great site. I am taking the david hodge lessons and they are really well laid out, but sticking closely to them is the hard part.

I have been messing around on my guitar lately and trying to learn songs. I am in a little city in thailand and i am becoming friends with everybody in my area and at the local guesthouses. One landlady said i could play my guitar for people one night, but i don't really have any good repitior or mastery of songs. Also i am trying to get the appropriate kind of music down. I think it would be like kind of tropical jazz music, or something roughly appropriate. I am thinking claptonesque music would be perfect. I don't want to do (too many) pop songs. I am thinking of starting small, very small. Maybe i will do a half hour set, or a 5 song set. I want all the songs to kind of blend in to one, and i am not going to be singing. I am nervous, but i am used to doing things that scare me. I am not afraid of screwing up but i would be ashamed if i did too bad a performance, and i don't want to turn people away either. It is a very small place, hardly worthy of being called a venue, but i think it would be fun. Any advice for someone starting on their first "coming out". I don't want to be a let down, even though they would probably not even care so much, but i want to be a welcome presence. Anyway thanks a lot.

jerry

carpe diem baby

Posted : 27/02/2005 3:51 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hi Jerry, Welcome to GuitarNoise.

I really like your attitude. It's kinda fun to do scary things isn't it?

I would say learn a bunch of really easy songs. Songs with maybe 3 or 4 chords max. Since you are not afraid to try things, why don't you try singing as well? The biggest secret to singing is to sing songs that fall in the natural range of your voice. I bet there are songs that you have sang to on the radio before that you felt you did well. Well, those are the songs to pick.

You will probably need 20 or 30 songs, so start a notebook now, and practice everyday.

Once you are there, try to relax and just have fun. Don't rush. Take your time. Many times starting out people rush. You will play all your songs in half and hour and then what do you do? Don't be afraid to stretch a song out a little.

If you really will not sing, try to find someone who will. Instrumentals are great, but people really like to hear singing.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 01/03/2005 12:13 am
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll do fine. Once you feel a little more established you won't even think twice when asked to play. Smoothing out the rough edges and gaining confidence in front of an audience only comes with experience, which seems difficult when you are just starting out. As you progress your performances will gradually become more consistent and you will gain more confidence. Getting together with other musicians is always a great way to learn songs.

Most of all have fun and it will be a great learning experience.

Joe

Posted : 02/03/2005 2:53 am