First real gig - report!!

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Well - happy to announce that I have my first real gig under the belt!

We played at this pub just outside oslo tonight. Trio, two guitars and bass. Not too large a crowd listening and they were not ecstatic, but they didn't leave and we finshed with no major disasters - in other words a great experience!

We got there about 1800 to set up the equipment - 4 guitars, bass, guitar and bass amp, and a 4 channel mixer with amp and speakers for vocals. Tuned guitars, and did a very rudimentary soundcheck. 4 hours wait. A pizza, some rounds of pool, and suddenly it was 10pm and we were on.

We had four nice guitars. An Ibanez jazzbox, a Takmine accoustic, a Yamaha accoustic and a fender Tele.

I started out with the Ibanez for the first two songs; Things we said today and Bring it on home. Our very experienced bandleader sang lead and did some smalltalk in between. It was a good start. I managed a solo on Bring it on home, some mistakes but decent I think. In fact I wasn't really that nervous, and I felt I played up against my best. The vocal harmonies in Things we said today worked well too. The bass was slightly out of tune, but somehow we didn't stop to tune it.

We traded guitars and I played the takanmine, sang lead and played harmonica on She Belongs to Me. Think we played it well, but it was not really a crowd pleaser, they were pretty slow - except one girl dancing in front of us . Back on the Ibanez for Under the boardwalk and In my Life. Simple Twist of Fate on the Yamaha in open E, again I sang and played harmonica. Forgot a verse, and mixed up the lyrics in another one, but nobody would notice that. Waterloo Sunset went well. Sang again on Between the devil and the deep blue sea - very nice guitarwork on this one from my uncle We did Crazy a bit faster than usual and I stumbled somewhat on the solo but nothing disastrous. Finished the first set with I shall be Released. I sang with the two others doing harmonies in the chorus - singing was great!! OK solo again...

And that was the first set. First reaction: WOW that went fast!! Almost 45 minutes had passed just like that. WE were pretty happy, tuned a bit, had a few cigarettes outside, and back on.

I played the Tele for the second set. A good start with Brown Eyed Girl. Honey Pie, A Change is Gonna Come, What a Wonderful World and Sunny Afternoon went OK. Looking out my Backdoor was very well received I managed to do the solo pretty well, sounded real good on the Tele. Did some Harmonica on Mr. Bojangles. I don't think anyone had heard it before, but we played it well I'd say. Lodi sounded real good too! In the second verse I got the riff straight too (and the "Everytime I had to play while the people sat there drunk" was more than appropriate). Then DOn't think Twice and the biggest disaster for my part. I played the Yamaha again, and after the first verse the strap fell off... I managed to somehow balance it with my leg, remembered all the lyrics and played harmonica in between Phew. Rounded off with Hymn to Freedom

As I said, the crowd was slow, but many said afterwards that they'd appreciated it. But then, they didn't come first and foremost to hear us, they'd come to drink too many beers like they do every saturday (and thursday, and monday for that sake) Most of all, it was a great experience for both my brother and me, since it was our debut in the (real) public. We survived, and we found out that as long as just one of us messes up at the same time it'll work ok ... I also noticed that I relaxed more and more and as a result the playing improved (somewhat).

Free beer afterwards and home by 0030. I wanna do it again!!!

Sorry for the long report, but it has some therapeutic effect as I'm pretty excited at the moment

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

Posted : 16/12/2006 11:37 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sounds great man!!! Nice report. Sounds like a success AND good learning experience all in one. Way to go.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 16/12/2006 11:50 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Way to go Lars! 8) :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 17/12/2006 7:02 am
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Congrats on the first gig, Lars.

Great report too.

Thanks for sharing.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

Posted : 17/12/2006 10:48 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Thats an awsome report Lars. Great job.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 17/12/2006 11:16 am
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Awesome, Lars congratulations.
An excellent report, not too long IMO, just a great read.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

Posted : 17/12/2006 4:13 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Great report, Lars!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/12/2006 4:25 pm
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Congratulations on a good first gig! Great report, too.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 17/12/2006 8:10 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks for reading everyone!

Posted : 17/12/2006 8:17 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Excellent, Lars! Wasn't that one of the best feelings you've ever had? I guarantee you'll be remembering that night and still smiling about it when you're 90!

Congratulations, Lars!!! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 17/12/2006 8:38 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Congrats! :D

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 18/12/2006 9:13 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

That wasn't too long, we want the details.

Sounds like you did alright. Now you know why people buy straplocks. :D

If the crowd stayed all night, you did good. Yeah, they come to drink, but if there is no band, or the band is lousy, they will leave and go somewhere else. Club owners don't pay bands because they love to give their money away, they pay bands because it makes the customers happy. They stay all night and drink. :wink:

Always remember that.

Keep going back, you'll just get better and better.

Thanks again for the fun report.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 18/12/2006 9:56 pm
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member
Topic starter

huh? "pay bands" ? wait a second,

oh you mean I shouldn't have to pay anything to do just about the best thing possible with clothes on. :-)

Seriously, we were allowed to play there as an experiment. The owner has two of these ... joints, so if he is happy I guess we can get something more or less regular going on. :-)

Strap lock, yes, noted.

lars

Posted : 18/12/2006 10:12 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Lars

Well, you got free beer, so that is pretty good for your first gig. :D

What I meant is, don't let these owners convince you that he is doing you a favor. OK, this first gig, yes. But remember, you are making him money. And one hand washes another. :wink:

Maybe play there again for free beer, but after that tell him you want CASH.

You gotta watch some of these club owners. Our band has gotten calls from clubs that have offered to let us play with other bands on a Friday or Saturday night. They tell you if you do well it will lead to paying gigs. But it is just a scam. They get you and several other bands to bring all your friends in. They have a big night and make lots of money.

But they never call you for that paid gig.

Happens all the time.

Like Frank Black of the Pixies said when he was asked what advice he would give a band starting out. He said 3 things...

#1 Always get your money.

#2 ALWAYS get your money.

#3 ALWAYS GET YOUR MONEY! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 19/12/2006 12:44 am
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Great report Lars! 8)

Sounds like a blast. It makes me nervous just reading these posts sometimes. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

Posted : 19/12/2006 1:14 pm
Page 1 / 2