8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

By Associated Press
Published May 1, 2006, 7:52 PM CDT

LOS ANGELES -- Napster Inc. launched a revamped music Web site Monday that allows limited free, on-demand access to more than two million songs.

Visitors to the site can listen to many songs five times before having to buy a copy for 99 cents or subscribe to Napster's premium service.

The free service is supported by advertising on the Napster player. Songs purchased individually or as part of a subscription can be downloaded and transferred to portable devices.

As part of the move, Napster will add two new services.

NapsterLinks will allow users to attach song links to e-mails, instant messages, blogs and Web sites.

The other service is Narchive, a partly user-generated feature that includes personal stories, photos and other items contributed by listeners. Also offered are music history and material from music writers.

Analysts viewed the offering favorably but said the key will be how many new members the service can add.

Shares of Napster fell 2 cents to close at $4.61 on the Nasdaq Stock Market but gained 4 cents in after-hours trading.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 02/05/2006 12:38 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Just to clarify - you can listen to the songs online (5 times), but you can't download them or make them portable unless you are a paid subscriber.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 02/05/2006 1:14 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Free songs, like a free dinner, huh? :)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 02/05/2006 1:42 pm
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Pretty cool, I think I'm going to enjoy free riding on some stuff I want to try out.

Tip: the web player they have doesn't work if you have the wonderful AdBlock extension enabled in Firefox. I disabled it and it's working like a charm now. I'm going to have to setup a rule to exclude Napster :D

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

Posted : 02/05/2006 1:54 pm
(@alangreen)

Hmmm.

I recorded large amounts of Live8 in the summer by selecting the AOL web page audio feed as the sound source for Audacity. I presume it'll work again.

Now, listen - this is me thinking out loud, ok? You must not be naughty people and try to get your favourite songs from Napster without paying for them.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 02/05/2006 4:28 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

This is the coolest thing since, well um, the first Napster. Of course, I could of always subscribed, but if I subscribed to everything I wanted, I would be paying 500 dollars a month.
You know - XM, TIVO, Guitar Port, Sirius etc...

Posted : 02/05/2006 11:37 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I just a bought an album from itunes after listening to the whole thing a few times on Napster. HEY, I have an ipod! :lol: :lol: :lol: SARCASM Yeah, this service is gonna last a long time. :roll:

Posted : 03/05/2006 7:10 am
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Many people do/did do just that. I did myself until recently. The statistics say that the system works a lot better than the industry would have you believe.

There's a good rant about the current situation here: http://shortlink.co.uk/89m , every word is true.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 03/05/2006 8:20 am