Clear all

funny phonecall

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Months ago we phoned a local working mens club and asked if they would book us for a gig - they said no.
anyway, we pestered and they said "we dont book bands, but we'll take a chance on you if you can play on a bank holiday sunday for cheap".

so we said yes. at this point we were called "Time out"

anyway, last week we got a phone call from this place saying they had to cancel us because
"all of our members have asked us to book another new band in the area who people have seen elsewhere and i cant afford to loose any custom so im going to try and book them instead - sorry"

our drummer took the call, and being the gent he was he said "i understand, but who is this band?"

the guy said "they are called about time - have you heard of them"

Our drummer had - that is us under our new name!!!!!

Now im the first to admit im a rubbish guitarist, but this was a great vote of confidence as a band - we all had a great laugh and cant wait for the gig!!

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 10/03/2009 8:23 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Did your drummer also tell him that your "new band" charges 50% more to play since you're so popular? :twisted:

Congrats on your fame & fortune! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 10/03/2009 8:26 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Ha ha - 50% more of cheap still = cheap :lol:

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."

Posted : 10/03/2009 8:35 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

That is pretty funny but what is a working men's club?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 10/03/2009 8:52 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

ah- right. you dont have them over there??

i'll spare you the history, but basically, it is a big pub that you have to be a member to go in, but membership is dead cheap - only about £5 a year.

the people who go in there are "working men" historically labourers, builders, etc and occasionally their women. not posh places - just places people go to enjoy a few drinks (and then a few more) with like minded people. they can be quite clique - and rowdy, but always a cracking atmosphere.

Posted : 10/03/2009 9:06 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's a hoot, beating yourselves out of a gig! It speaks volumes about the (lack of) business ethics of the venue manager, though. Don't trust him a bit.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 10/03/2009 9:13 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Did your drummer also tell him that your "new band" charges 50% more to play since you're so popular? :twisted:

LOL!

Very funny Almann, and good luck! :D

Posted : 10/03/2009 9:19 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Now that's a good one - doing yourselves out of a gig!

Hey, Almann, you're not too far away from me - maybe you can PM me with a list of your upcoming gigs, I'll come watch you one of these weekends?

Ah, never mind, I just spotted the link to your website......

Accrington looks good in May - I've got cousins in Accrington and Burnley, so I should be able to stop over and catch two gigs....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 10/03/2009 9:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Funny story. Good luck with the gig!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/03/2009 1:16 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats a great story. Guess it shows you guys are improving too, stealing business from your old selves and all. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 11/03/2009 4:37 am
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Hey Vic, if you ever are in the area do let me know. we are trying to book places out of this area as well, so we may end up playing even nearer to you.

Posted : 11/03/2009 6:46 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Hey TR, how's you and TF's efforts in the playing out coming along?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/03/2009 10:27 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Cool story 8) Do "Working mens clubs" involve chicken wire :?: Sounds fun!

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 14/03/2009 1:37 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic'll remember this. In the 70s there was a TV programme that parodied WMCs, called the Wheeltapper's and Shunter's Social Club - here's a clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGR3SSfRfFk . The man at the beginning is typical of many WMCs, where the ConSec (Concert Secretary) ruled the roost.
In Yorkshire, at least, the ConSec also had the privilege of announcing the arrival of the "Dish of the Day" :D , which was, more often than not, pork pie and mushy peas (with loads of mint sauce), with the call "Pies are up!". Them were't days.....

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 14/03/2009 8:58 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats on your fame & fortune! 8)

Dan
Hahahah, good one, Dan!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/03/2009 4:45 pm