Clear all

Gig on Saturday

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Well we got us another gig to play. We are going to play at a private party this Saturday. It will be really good for us because there is not a whole lot of pressure on this one and it will get us ready for the civic center the following Saturday. I am going to meet with the fire department today to try and get us a gig playing for a street dance. Every year we have this big festival in town with 2 nights of rodeo. The fire department puts on a street dance one night. I know a few people on the board so I might have a good shot. We shall see.....

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

Posted : 12/06/2007 4:17 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Fire Department doing a street dance ? I would surely like to see that. :shock:

Good luck on your upcoming gig. Hope everything works out well and you rock your audience.

Rahul

Posted : 12/06/2007 4:49 pm
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

What it is, is the Volunteer Fire department and this is one of their big money makers for the year.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace (Jimi Hendrix)

Posted : 12/06/2007 4:52 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Good luck with your upcoming gigs!! :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 12/06/2007 7:25 pm
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

So I went down to talk to the fire department today. The fire marshal told me that they had voted to hire a DJ, but it was up to the whole department and they would discuss it. Well I gave them a package with our card and a set list of songs and left it at that. However, we were having practice later and two of the men from the fire department showed up to listen to us. We played on song and one of the guys left. When he came back he came back with half of the fire department and we had to play about 8 songs on the spot. It went pretty good. The fire chief said that they were going to meet next Tuesday and they would let us know. One of the guys came back later and told me that we had sold them, but the other half may come down and listen to us on our Thursday practice. We shall see what happens now.

Posted : 13/06/2007 5:05 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Hmm, seems like Fire Department are testing you pretty well. Those guys are tough, arent' they ?

Hope you get the final call. Don't forget to take some pics or sound clips, if you perform.

Good Luck.

Posted : 13/06/2007 7:45 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Wow, what a test. Sounds like you guys did great though. Either way you guys are actively persuing gigs and they'll come. Keep at it and good luck on the FD gig.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 13/06/2007 10:47 am
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Well it just would not quit raining, so guess what... Ya we got rained out

Posted : 17/06/2007 2:18 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Did you get paid for your time? One of the riders in the contract for an outdoor gig like this should be an agreement on how much you get paid in the event of a "rain out".

We'll generally base it on the amount of time we're there before the decision to cancel is made. I.E. If we're scheduled for 4 hours, and charging $500 for the complete gig, then we prorate the time at $125/hr, with a one hour minimum charge.

That way the band gets at least $25 each (there's 5 of us) to compensate for gas, and load in / load out time. It also specifies the venue won't get stuck for the whole price if they have to cancel due to circumstances beyond their control.

Speaking of contracts, they don't have to be complex things full of legalese. We boiler plated ours in plain language, and it allows us to fill in:

Date of engagement
Start time / Stop time
Break times and lengths
Price being charged, and compensation due for cancellations after we arrive (for "acts of Nature" (prorated, minimum charge 1 hour), equipment failure (prorated, no minimum charge))
Compensation due for failure to notify a week in advance of the venue canceling us out (full price - we could have scheduled another gig!)

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 17/06/2007 3:47 pm
(@douglasa)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Speaking of contracts, they don't have to be complex things full of legalese. We boiler plated ours in plain language, and it allows us to fill in:

Date of engagement
Start time / Stop time
Break times and lengths
Price being charged, and compensation due for cancellations after we arrive (for "acts of Nature" (prorated, minimum charge 1 hour), equipment failure (prorated, no minimum charge))
Compensation due for failure to notify a week in advance of the venue canceling us out (full price - we could have scheduled another gig!)

That a great idea that way there is no suprises.

They called us in the morning to cancel so we never made it down there. So no pay :x

Posted : 17/06/2007 6:30 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

If you didn't incur any "gear move" time, consider it a good deal.

As I've come to find out in my ancient wisdom and some have heard this before, I get paid to move the gear. I play for free. :x :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 17/06/2007 6:37 pm