Gig report

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Well, it's been a while, but I just experienced a real fun gig tonight. Finally got my PA up and running, got to turn my guitar amp all the way up, and people finally got to hear my band at a great venue.
The event was a local charity concert, with some "jam band" opening for us. THey were ok, but they basically played the same thing for 2 hours. I also had a stroke when my old QSC power amp(which was used by Noel Redding) started to pop when we were taping wires. Turns out the binding posts were dirty. Phew!
The venue was nice, too. It was good-sized. It was carpeted, had wood paneling walls, and a drop ceiling.(yay, no hard surfaces) The "Stage" was only big enough for the drums and amps. But it was only a foot and a half high, so it worked well.
We did our soundcheck, and it was LOUD. Our PA was a 2-part system. We had my Peavey colums speakers with 2x10's, 2x12's and 3 piezos each running through the QSC(330W), and 2 peavey 12"BW speakers and a horn cabs running through a Hafler 125W amp. For the guitar, I had 60 tube watts running through 8 10" oxford speakers in 2 gibson cabs, spread out on stage. The bass was running through an ampeg 310W head with a 15" and 2x10" cab, which were also separated onstage. The drums were miked through the PA, and the bass drum was heavy sounding. For monitors, I had 2 Kustom 10" PA cabs through an 80W amp, tilted back.
The other band used our PA, so I got to experiment with the monitor volume a bit. They finished, and then we set up, and did a final soundcheck. People were also starting to show up, which was good.
Here's our setlist:
Spade 7-8-06
Set 1:
1. Fortunate Son
2. Good Times, Bad Times*
3. Born to be Wild*
4. Nicotine Stick
5. You Really Got Me+
6. Pinball Wizard*
7. Locomotive Breath*^
8. Up Around the Bend
9. Politician Jam+
10. No Sugar Tonight Θ
11. Mary Go Round Θ
12. My Generation Θ
13. The Milkman Song*

15 Minutes

Set 2:
1. Bus Rider*
2. Rock & Roll*
3. Unnamed War Song
4. Whole Lotta Love*
5. A Song for Jeffrey
6. Funk #49
7. Send our Children off to War*
8. Sunshine of your Love+
9. Another One Bites the Dust(w/cowbell)
10. Misty Mountain Hop (w/Arielle on vocals)
11. American Woman*
12. Taking Care of Business
13. Purple Haze*
14. American Band=
15. Batman(w/band introductions)>
15. Johnny B. Goode+

Θ= Acoustic guitar
*= Bass fuzz for solo
+= Bass fuzz for whole song
= = Bass fuzz for solo+intro
^=harmonica instead of guitar

From Funk #49 down, it really started to pick up. I quoted a big long passage from the american woman solo on the Guess Who live album "Live at the Paramount," which I couldn't believe I remembered. The singer, Eric, went completely nuts on Purple Haze(in a good way), and there was amazing energy onstage. We played Batman as an intro to Johnny B. Goode, and we payed JBG hendrix style. It was awesome! People coudln't believe we could play that fast. They said they thought my hand was going to light on fire. hehe, little did they know that I was saving just a little bit fort he last song of the show!
All in all, it was a great night, and we even helped out a great cause-the Susan G. Komen foundation for breast cancer research!

Posted : 09/07/2006 4:59 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Congrats. That is an awsome set list. Sounded like a terrific time.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 09/07/2006 1:06 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

Just in case you're wondering, songs #4, 11, and 13 in the first set, and #3 and 7 of the second set are originals. (not nessecarily good, just original).

Posted : 10/07/2006 9:20 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I like the songs you played and the fact you got to play LOUD! :shock: I was getting excited reading about your gig. Love it when a band get's you pumped.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 12/07/2006 8:20 pm
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I like the songs you played and the fact you got to play LOUD! :shock: I was getting excited reading about your gig. Love it when a band get's you pumped.

I especially like it how we do stuff the old way-with loud stage amps, and column speakers for the PA. The huge stage volume makes singing a bit harder, of course, but it's worth it, in my opinion. We've tried miking our amps, and lowering the stage volumes, but it just doesn't work as well.

Posted : 13/07/2006 3:33 am