Clear all

Gig Report

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

The Bluegrass Gospel group I'm in played in church today. We did the song By the Mark by Gillian Welch. This was my first time playing the banjo in public and I was more nervous than usual. All in all it went well. I did play through a chord change during the break between the chorus and the second verse (not the first time I've done that). Seems I'm the only person that noticed. Our vocals where really tight which makes up for a lot of mistakes. Looks like a lot of people like to hear a banjo, I got a lot of compliments after the service. And everyone that was there that plays had to get a close look at that new lefthanded banjo :D

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

Posted : 20/04/2009 12:46 am
(@davidhodge)

I, for one, am thrilled that another lefty banjo is out there in the world! :wink: Great job! Sounds like it was fun.

Looking forward to hearing more, maybe even in the "Hear Here" section one day.

Peace

Posted : 20/04/2009 12:50 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats! 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 20/04/2009 10:41 pm
(@specialsof)
Estimable Member

Way to go there Tim - and congrats, I love a banjo.

Posted : 21/04/2009 10:06 am
(@gabba-gabba-hey)
Reputable Member

Sounds very cool; congrats! I'd love to get our church group to play a variety of styles, but it's limited for a number of reasons. We had a guy play mandolin with us a couple times, but he pretty much stuck to the vocal melody lines; still, it sounded nice.

Posted : 21/04/2009 2:48 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on your successful performance and for your banjo debut!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/04/2009 2:57 pm