Gig report: LC in Virgil, IL 5-19-07

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Background

Well, haven't played a gig in 9 months so it was good to get out again. Last September we lost our drummer, bass player and one singer which left us in a pickle having only 2 guitar players and a singer left. About 2 months ago a band I used to play with broke up. After their breakup, that old band was down to just a guitar player, bass player and drummer. Once I got the news I immediately started making tons of calls. Two weeks later we all got together to practice and things have been good.

Now we have me on rhythm guitar, another on rhythm/lead, another on singing/rhythm/lead, bass player, drummer and a dedicated singer. Yea, six may be a bit much in a band but it's really cool. I'd rather play in a big band rather than a 3 or 4 piece. Sure it cuts down on the gig money but no biggie. It's all about playing.

Gig

Okay, now for the gig. We had 1.5 hours before we were to take stage after the opening band. We all got some pitchers of beer and It was out in the middle of nowhere about 45 minutes from where I live. Don't know why, but I'm like this before every show. My hands would visibly shake when I'd try to take a sip of beer. The guys are like "are you alright" and I told 'em this is just how it is until I get on stage.

Speaking of such, fortunately they had an old flatbed trailer as a stage that was about 25' long by 12' deep not including the additional riser built just for the drummer. It was great to spread out at an outdoor gig! The wind and temperature were absolutely perfect. Unfortunately, I was the last to set up my equipment because people kept asking me questions and I finally told the strangers I had to got set up.

We did a quick sond check where I walked out into the crowd with my wireless guitar and played then had each instrument try to match my volume. Worked pretty good. We started 1/2 hour late (as was my prediction based on our first time together on stage with the 3 new members). We rocked the first song and many after that. The sound was good for the whole first set (still in daylight). We got really lost in Barracuda and had me laughing so hard as that closed the first set. :lol:

Break time

Things were decent and all 3 monitors (which had all of in the mix through the PA and monitors). For some reason we could not hear either vocal monitor nor the drummer's monitor the whole second set. We spent maybe 5 minutes trying to figure out what's up but got frustrated and just played without them. I could not hear either of the other two guitar players and barely the bass. :shock: Just my amp shooting up at me as my monitor, drums, and vocals. As I walked across stage I could hear others but did me no good unless I would stand center stage and I was not gonna do that.

Another cool thing is my brother came on stage to play bass on a song. His first time ever playing in front of people so that was awesome! Further, our drummer (and me and one other guitar player) were not ready to play Heartbreaker (Benatar) on stage. We all got off stage after we coaxed the drummer from another band I've been with for 3 years on stage. He took 2 minutes to familiarize himself with the other drummer's equipment and they rocked with just drums, vocals, one guitar and bass. Downright awesome!

I'm usually a fairly prepared person and arranged for us to have extra extension cords and two 500 watt halogen lights to shoot at us from each side of the stage. As night fell we could not see our hands on our instruments so moved those literally on each side of the stage. Those lights still blinded me but at least I could see my hands. That situation will have to be rectified for our show next saturday. Nevertheless, we ended the show with Sunshine of Your Love and had a blast.

Summary

All in all, I think it went well and we progressed through any problems we had, well, because we had to. Great to get all of us on stage for the first time as the reformed group. We're looking forward to the show next Saturday and other 4 weeks later. We don't have pictures up on the site yet but you can check out latecalling.com if you're bored. :D As another irrelevant fact, this was the first show I didn't touch my volume pedal, amp volume or volume pots on my guitar for the whole show. I sound checked and left the level the same the whole night. Funny, I found out my brother was walking behind stage and ramping up my amp volume throughout the night.

I watched some of the videos of the show and things sounded pretty good. As musicians we always hear the "off" things and we all make plenty of mistakes. Often it pains me to watch 'em but I do it just to see what's going on. I learned that one of our other guitar players and I very often play chords in differnt position so that's actually a good thing I think for a blend of sound.

I just joined Photobucket and really have no clue how it works. But I uploaded 5 pics or so at http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i31/corbind/ so we'll see what happens. I tried to upload 2 videos (first and last song) but they were twice the allowed MBs so couldn't do it.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 28/05/2007 3:34 am
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Glad to hear things went well Dennis, but you're photobucket link is not working.
How do you find these gigs out in the middle of nowhere???

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 28/05/2007 1:41 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I remember back when your band fell apart. Its good to see things going again for you. Keep it up and look forward to seeing the pics and video.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 28/05/2007 1:48 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

A friend of mine works with a guy who owns two bars. On Saturdays lots of bikers come out to that bar in the middle of nowhere to drink a ton of beer. My buddy was scheduled to play there but had only an hour of music ready in that they've only been together as a band for 2 months. So he called me and asked if we wanted to headline and they'd be the opener. We played two sets so it was cool. We have the option to play another gig a few miles from there June 23rd but I don't think I want to drive 35 miles to a gig.

As far as the photobucket I just tried messin' with it to no avail. The link I put in the original post is literally the address of where those pictures are located. Maybe I'll be able to fix it...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 28/05/2007 6:44 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dennis

Great report, sounds like you guys did good. Ever figure out what happened to the monitors?

As far as photobucket, this is how it works.

1) You must download any photos to your computer. Put them in "My Pictures"

2) Go to Photobucket and login. Go to "My Album". A page will open up that allows you to Upload photos from your computer to Photobucket. You will see the "Browse" buttons. Click on these. This will open a box somewhere in your computer, you may have to navigate to My Pictures. When you get to My Pictures click on the photo you want to upload and click Open in the bottom corner of the box. You will see that photo's name pop into the Browse button box at Photobucket. Now just click the Upload button at Photobucket. In a few seconds the photo will upload and you will see it on your My Album page at Photobucket. Below each photo is 3 boxes. Highlight and copy the bottom box. Come here and paste in, the photo will appear here.

Once again, thanks for the great report, glad you are gigging again.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 28/05/2007 7:47 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks Wes, now I know how to post pictures! And, no, never figured out what went wrong with the monitors. We're gonna set everything up Friday night at practice and try to get all that figured out for the show the following day.

Posted : 28/05/2007 8:07 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Wow Dennis, great pics!

I love that stage. :D

You are the tall fellow with the SG right??

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 28/05/2007 8:23 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Dennis, you have a great time playing with people you like, they've asked you back, and you actually get paid! 35 miles is nothing!! When my friend was starting out with his band in the 70's, they would play up at Great Lakes, and they didn't start til 11 or 12, they'd play until 4 am and then go home. I beleive it's called "paying your dues."

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 28/05/2007 9:48 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Wes, yea, I'm the pale dude with the Marshall shirt. Funny, Marshall shirt but playing an SG through a Fender HRD. Odd.

Kathy, that gig on the 6-23-07 is not a paid gig and it's maybe 5-10 miles further in town. They're supposed to have at least 4 bands play so I don't know if we'd be allowed to play more than a set. I just put out an email to the guys in the band to see if they want to play that one. If they're in I'll be there.

Set 1

My Wife
Paranoid
Hey Joe
Takin' Care of Business
Doesn't Remind Me
Trouble
Hit Me Best Shot
Heartbreaker (Benatar)
Since You've Been Gone
Barracuda

Set 2

Blitzkrieg Bop
Sitting Waiting Wishing
Can't Get Enough
Mustang Sally
Bad Moon Rising
Sweet Home Chicago
She Hates Me
We're an American Band
Crossroads
White Room
Sunshine of Your Love

Posted : 28/05/2007 10:12 pm