Skip to content
Gig Report - Life i...

Notifications
Clear all

Gig Report - Life is Drama @ Q-Sports (Darien)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

This past Saturday 12/16 we (LIFE IS DRAMA) played @ Q Sports (Darien). They have played here before I think last year and this was my first time playing here. Q Sports setup has 2 rooms, one is a bar and a LOT of pool tables and then you walk thru a rollup door into the music room. This room has a BIG stage, drum riser, ramp up to the stage and a separate entrance for load in. This place has some national acts that come through from time to time. We were the “headlining” band with 1 band opening for us this night. Our opening band has been around MUCH longer than us & when I told my friend they were opening for us he was surprised WE weren't opening for them? So I loaded in and set up my gear along the back wall (back line) and then the other band could setup in front of us. Some members of the other band showed up and I walked up to introduce myself to their bass player. The bass player seemed kind of standoffish towards me so I just went back to my band's table and let them setup. When their drummer arrived our drummer told him that he could use his kit to make things easier...he said “Good, because I didn't bring mine”. I thought WOW!?!?! Really?!?! That's quite a gamble not to bring your own kit expecting to use someone else's!! Their guitar player was the first one setup and he started noodling warm up exercises/licks at stage volume while the rest of the band setup. They finally got done and they play one song to get their levels... this guy continued to noodle. Then he leaves the stage and comes down to his band's table & sits down on the stool...STILL noodling at full volume...REALLY?!?!? This went on for at least 45min to an hour, I think he played everything he knew!!! He was really starting to get on my nerves :x For a comparison, when we got up there I turned on my amp, played a chord, asked the bass & guitar player to level with me and off we went.

We played 2 long sets with a 10min break in between which I took advantage of by hanging out on the side with the crowd (you gain fans by being “accessible”) :D I thought we played well and we had the crowd into us right from the start with our song selection...granted most of the crowd was there for us (around 60ppl) and even with 60ppl that still looked sparse in that room. Our booking agent said pulling 60ppl in that bar in Dec was GOOD and if we wanted to play there again in Mar/Apr to let him know!!! Cool!! :D This night we moved around onstage MUCH BETTER, the bass player & I switching places, running across on the drum riser, jumping around, it was a lot of fun and I'm sure it was fun watching us interact and have fun!!! It's CONTAGIOUS!!! :D At the end of the night one of the bar's staff just handed our drummer the money and said “here you go” with no more feedback outside of that. The opening band's bass player was the only one to stay the whole night to get paid and his remark was “tough night tonight”. I thought to myself well, when you're playing all classic rock to a younger crowd who doesn't know who Robin Trower & Eric Johnson are all your guitar player is doing is what I call “musical masturbation” up there. Honestly...I was looking around and everyone was looking BORED halfway through the Eric Johnson tune. But honestly, I think my aversion to the opening band started right from the beginning with my introduction. If I never play with them again I'd be fine with that.

My next gig w/ LIFE IS DRAMA is @ Shakers (121 W Stevenson Rd, Ottawa IL) on Saturday (1/21/11). I played here a couple of months ago with Slightly Offensive, fun place to play!!! Check us out on Facebook and “Like” our page

Thanks for reading and all the great comments & KEEP ROCKIN' !!!!
Tommy Gunz

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 21/12/2011 10:31 pm