Skip to content
GIG REPORT - SLIGHT...

Notifications
Clear all

GIG REPORT - SLIGHTLY OFFENSIVE @ Morgan's (Mokena IL)

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

I played this past Saturday night with my new band "Slightly Offensive" at Morgan's (Mokena IL). Morgan's is a nice bar good sound system...the sound guy...honestly, kind of a jag. After we loaded in all our gear & set up our bass player who is a pilot for Delta Airlines asked if he could get a live feed through his in-ear monitors. He uses those so that he doesn't lose his hearing...our drummer plays LOUD and I want him to be able to hear if I ever fly w/him someday. Right away the sound guy is giving him an attitude, "I only have 4 live feeds...& blah blah blah". Then he said "...he does all this and delivers pizzas too"? I was like dude...I know your probably pissed off because you missed out on your big break to do sound for Bon Jovi this year but don't take it out on us. We're not asking for the world here. Then I was getting the radio through my amp and the bass player was getting it through his in-ear monitors but after we asked the soundguy how to fix that he told us to lift the ground on our units which worked for me but not for the bass player. He said he'd live with it.

Our first set was 20 songs which went relatively well and we played pretty tight up until I think song 19. I was pleasantly surprised by this since I've only been playing with them for 2 weeks now and only once as a full band. The last song was in Drop D tuning and I forgot to re-tune my guitar for the next set. Needless to say I played the first 5 songs in Drop D thinking that sometimes the bass player was playing the wrong bass note. When we were playing No Doubt's "Spiderwebs" I asked him "are you playing a G" and he said "yes"...huh? Didn't sound like it but its easy to hear that something is off but its hard to pin point just what that "it" is. After I realized my mistake I apoligized to him. Overall the second set didn't sound as good as the first so we have some work to do but we finished the set with "Shook Me All Night Long" and finally by then we had a crowd of girls dancing in front of the stage which was cool.

My next gig is THIS SATURDAY 6/19 with GRAND THEFT AUDIO at Fox's Pub (Mokena). Only 1 more gig with GTA after this one.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 16/06/2010 11:24 pm