Clear all

GTA- Gig Report (Jordan's Pub Orland Park) 3/12/10

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@tommy-guns)
Honorable Member
Topic starter

My band's (GTA-Grand Theft Audio) latest gig was back where we started in Nov '09. The last time we played there we packed the place to capacity (75+ppl) and the parking lot was full. This time we packed it again...but this time with some different faces I haven't seen before which was VERY COOL. I think we are starting to create a little "buzz" and a following on the south side. Again, we really "WOWED" the crowd between the girls stage presence, how well the band played & the material we are covering. We are definitely different from all the other cover bands in our area. Again, we had band "swag" which consisted of laminated "VIP passes" which we gave out to people who were "workin it" on the dance floor. Our "VIP passes" were VERY popular and each time we play we are going to try and change what it says on the back, personallized to the particular gig. This one was St Patty's day weekend so we put an Irish Proverb on the back. The passes had our picture collage on the front that we are using for our promo cd cover and on the back we have "Rollin VIP w/GTA Tour 2010" and our band website info etc. We made 25 passes and they were all gone early in our set. We have created some interest locally and a booking agent and a local bar who both heard our promo cd told us they were going to come out on Friday night to hear the band but if they did come out we never made contact either of them.

During the first set there was this woman who came up on my side of the band's area and danced like a "stripper" for the whole set. There is this little walkway that goes out to the smoking area/beer garden and she danced next to me in that area. I didn't really pay too much attention to her but according to my wife she was getting A LOT of attention from the crowd with her moves. So much so that people asked my wife if the band hired her to dance up there and someone asked her if she was a stripper for a living? I said "we don't make that much $$$ playing. That's like KID ROCK $$$ your talking about" :) During Lady Gaga's "Poker Face" she had her back to the wall and working it up & down like a stripper pole. My wife said the women in the crowd were rolling their eyes and the guys had their mouths on the floor but I got compliments for being an "exceptional guitar player, being able to play so well with all that action going on around me". A "true professional" I replied. After our first set both Margaret & Katy said it was distracting to them, so right there, during our first break we decided that we would block that area off before we started. Can't have our performers distracted while performing but that didn't work, she beat us too it. So I told Katy to maybe "dance her off the stage" but that didn't work to well either so Katy just stood in front of her and sang and everytime the woman moved back into view Katy blocked her again. That DID IT!!! She left, walked up to the bar and put her shoes on the bar, then the bartender told her to keep her shoes on her feet and she just left in a huff. I heard from the bouncer, "you should see her at 2am". Uh, no...

Katy's dad, Kevin "Big Daddy" who I played with in Ugoddawanna came up and sang "Roadhouse Blues" with her. He told her to pick which verse she wanted to sing..."Its your band". So Katy did the first one. Then Kevin said, "Ok...(wink) now let me show you how its done :)..." and he just brought the crowd to its FEET!!! It was so much fun watching those 2 work the crowd like that.

Our next show is NEXT SAT 3/20/10 @ SHOWTIME 13343 South Cicero Ave in CRESTWOOD IL after the comedy show (around 10pm). Showtime is an elegant 25,000 sq-ft live entertainment venue consisting of two custom designed showrooms and a bar. Along with having the largest bar in the area, Showtime is constructed with an atmosphere of first class design and elegance. Check out their website @ readysetshowtime.com

Hope to see some GN friends out at a show soon. Come up to me and let me know you read about it here!!!

You can check out the pics from all of our shows on my MySpace Page:
My MySpace http://www.myspace.com/tommygunzguitarplayer
GTA's MySpace http://www.myspace.com/grandtheftaudiotheband09
GTA's Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Grand-Theft-Audio

If you would like to get on our mailing list shoot me a pm and I will add you to our list. I send out a monthly newsletter for the band via "Constant Contact" where I create links to places we are playing (thieir Facebook/MySpace) our MySpace page etc. Its REALLY cool and interactive.

Ambition is the path to success...persistence is the vehicle you arrive in!!!

Posted : 14/03/2010 9:54 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

That all sounds very cool. And just super that Katy's Dad came up to sing. And the crowd yelled for more. :D

I enjoyed the pics on Myspace. You guys and gals have great stage presence, nice outfits and costumes, very good.

I can see that everybody was having a good time. Makes you think how lucky you are to be with friends and in a crowd like that.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 15/03/2010 12:03 am