Skip to content
Happy New Freaking ...

Notifications
Clear all

Happy New Freaking Amp Day for TR!!!!!!!

14 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

An early father's Day present from TR to TR .... ummmm with Mrs. TR's blessings of course. I had a couple of education days to do at work to get certified to administer chemotherapy and the schedule had a hole in it. I make the schedule so I plugged it and decided to give the education days to the hospital as a freebee. My boss paid me OT for the day so I had like $400 burning a hole in my pocket if you know what I mean. I grabbed my Ibanez ART100 that I never play and headed to the music store and came home with this!

My Ibanez and about $450 and out the door I went. Wes Inman hasn't been around here lately but he had the head I believe and didn't have anything but praise for it. I think they were a passing thing and I don't think they are making them anymore, but I got it for a good price. 40 watts and onboard digital effects but 100% Marshall tube amp.

It is loud .... very loud but once you get the volume up to 4 it sings! It is absolutely violin like with my Les Paul.

I do believe all the ingredients are here ........ It's time to make the Metal! Errr ... ummmm ... what used to be metal ... ummm time to make the Classic Rock!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/06/2012 9:53 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=45156&p=412021&hilit=+haze#p412021
Here is the thread from the one Wes got that gave me terrible gas looks like some 3 years ago. I feel better .....

OK ... I know folks are a looking at this. I could record a demo and I'm sure I will at some point but for the mean time here is the official one that does a better job than I could.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXUVeGdi4Bc

Posted : 05/06/2012 10:14 pm
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

It says Marshall on it, it's got tubes, 12" speaker. Yep, all the ingredients are there. Good for you bro!

Posted : 06/06/2012 3:33 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Didn't know they made a 40w Haze wonder how it compares to the JCM900 I have. Looks like new and I'm sure it sounds good.

Have fun with the new toy.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 06/06/2012 12:10 pm
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

compared to the JCM I'm guessing it's probably a little bluesier and less high gain - and at 40w y can crack it in places other than the Garden.

Posted : 06/06/2012 1:21 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Looks like new and I'm sure it sounds good.
It is brand new, warranty and all. I had to peel the stickers off of it.
Didn't know they made a 40w Haze wonder how it compares to the JCM900 I have.
I used to own a JCM900 50 head and combo. Sounds the same to my ear. Heavy too, I remember that combo was very heavy.

Posted : 06/06/2012 2:11 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes it is heavy

Posted : 06/06/2012 2:19 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

It has 3 ECC83 preamp tubes (AKA 12AX7) and 2 EL34 poweramp tubes just like my old JCM900's. I still gor a spair set of EL34's I saved just in case. :wink: My Peavey windsor head uses them too but it takes a quartet.

At first I was skeptical of the digital effects but ....... they are wired as if in an effects loop. Turn them off and the signal is 100% tube, jack to speaker. So, it is no different than if it came with an effects pedal to plug into the effects loop. The plus is the reverb and other effects sound good, better than any pedals I own and they are assignable so they stay with the chanel and or boost setting you have when you adjust them. Each chanel has a boost button so almost a 4 chanel amp. Another concern is why did they stop making them? I could find no issues of problems on line and they have their new MA series that is clearly not as good as their high end amps so I am banking that these might have been axed as they sound better than the more expensive MA series amps. My Haze was outsourced to India but I look at it like my 1992 MIM Strat. In the beginning not alot different, just assembled by cheap labor. I have the advantage of having owned the above mentioned JCM's so I can make a pretty good comparison. This cabinet has the same appearance, the MA's in the store did not. They looked more cheaply built. Time will tell.

Is yours the dual Reverb? My combo wasn't but my head was. Same idea, the reverb settings do not apply the same on clean and distorted sounds so Marshall put in a controll for each chanel.

Posted : 06/06/2012 2:55 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't think it's the dual reverb but I'd have to check

Posted : 06/06/2012 4:30 pm
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thats pretty cool! Ive never heard of that series at all, but nice to hear you can shut all the effects off if you want to.

Paul B

Posted : 06/06/2012 6:52 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Yes, a tube amp that has digital effects is OK with me but not a modeling amp that has tubes. I do believe Marshall makes one of those (or made) as well and that I don't want. I'm not a big effects guy. I like a little bit of short delay to fatten my sound and some reverb. Chorus is nice on a clean sound with some reverb. Thats about it for me. This amp does these things well so I love it. What I really like about this thing is the control. I mean, tube amps give you feel and touch and all that but this does it really well. It's like you can change the tone of the amp so much with your fingers on the strings. I still don't know why the production run was so short. I registered my warranty and by the serial number the amp was made in 2009. Nothing like buying a 3 year old brand new amp. Musicians Friend has restock amps and Guitar Center showed one they could have shipped if I wanted. I was not expecting to see one sitting at the local store and for the price it is online. This is the place that runs high on a lot of their stuff. You can call them on it and get the better price but only if dealing cash with no trade ins. They are a local shop, they need to make a living, I understand this. Lets hope it's a good investment but I just got through playing through it again and I am still in love. It sounds like my Peavey Windsor half stack which sounds like a Marshall JCM800 so round and round it goes. The closed back on the Haze really gives you that 4 x 12 closed back thump only in a combo. I can by the way connect to the 4 x 12 cab but why? It's huge for a 112 combo but way smaller than that half stack.

Posted : 06/06/2012 11:33 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's awesome, man! Congrats!

I didn't know they stopped making them. I've only heard good things about them. Odd. I wonder if people stayed away because of the bult in effects? I like built in effects. It makes for quite the portable rig, esecially when space is at a premium.

Congrats again! TR and Marshall sounds as natural as TR and a Marshall. :mrgreen:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 07/06/2012 12:38 am
(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

So I guess the skinny is that the Haze is not been discontinued from marshall they are no longer being carried by musicains friend and some other retailers. But I think it kind of like the old Artist 3203 (awesome amp I kick myself for getting rid of) in that its kind of an odd ball without any family tree. They issue it for a little while then inexplicably drop it. Evidently, the MA series was added to allow a larger profit margin at the same price point as the haze. But the haze is still available according to most of the regular Marshall sources. I think I'm going to try one out, maybe to 15 head since I have a couple cabs, if I can find a used 40 quick I'll chop that down into a head. From what I've read and can see in the breakdown, the haze is similar to the 2203 with a few very minor mods in the preamp. So I'm hoping I can get it to sound really bright and sharp in the highs and mids like the early eighties leads. I think that is one of the amp sounds I'm missing at the moment and this could possibly slick my want for a 2550/2304 until I can get my hands on one of those.
By the way, if any of you guys ever get a chance to pick up a 3203 or a 4203 - get it!!! You can usually get them at a decent price. Alot of cats get scared off because they have a solid state pre section hybrid. THE BEST Clean channel I have ever had and good crunch. I traded it for a super lead that I ended up trading for a strat and I have regretted almost from the start.

Posted : 08/06/2012 4:10 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thats interesting, so they still make them. I was hoping it was because they were making more money with the MA series of amps. I checked and you know, I got this cheaper than what Musicians Friend wants for their restock. $5 cheaper from a place that usually runs $50- $100 high on amps. I feel lucky so far. It is a sweet amp.

Posted : 08/06/2012 7:56 pm