Skip to content
How's The David Hod...

Notifications
Clear all

How's The David Hodge Rock How To Book Coming?

12 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I haven't seen an update. I remember August being a deadline for something. Hope it's going well and am looking forward to buying me a copy. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/08/2009 2:13 am
(@davidhodge)

The book, The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Rock Guitar (and that's not my title - Alpha Books owns the "Complete Idiot's" series and this will be one of their titles) is coming along very nicely. Although it's at the stage that I go through with all of my writing where I'm wondering whether or not it's good enough. Some days yes and some days no. It can't possibly be everything that I'd like it to be but for a book on rock guitar for people who've never even picked up a guitar I think (and I hope) that it's very good.

Right now the main focus of my time is in recording the CD that's going along with the book. The next time I'll see the text is after it's gone through the hands of many editors and then I'll have to go over the final draft.

Amazon says it's coming out in April but I think the publishers might push it earlier. We'll see.

And since I've been in "rock guitar" mode since the start of the year, you might see that popping up in a few of the lessons here at Guitar Noise, like the new one on Seven Nation Army:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/seven-nation-army/

Thanks for asking! And thank you, too, for your support.

Peace

Posted : 31/08/2009 4:34 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Sounds like a busy summer. I can't wait to get it whenever it does come out. :D

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 31/08/2009 6:46 pm
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Hey Dave, I read and listened to your lesson on "Seven Nation Army" 8) That was very cool ! I love Jack White :twisted I plan to get a book for my nine year old niece Amanda. She plays guitar and banjo by ear and can figure out chord progressions on her own :D She gets a bit of help from her dad and uncle dog but mostly she can pick stuff up by listening 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 06/09/2009 2:53 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Will there be any give outs this time ?

I saw that the book is due for release on March 2, 2010 - http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Playing-Guitar/dp/1592579639/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1 . I am pretty much interested to get this one ! :D

Posted : 25/01/2010 6:37 pm
(@davidhodge)

Since the brand new Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar should also be out this year (schedule is for October / November and heaven knows I can't get it off my desk fast enough! :wink: ), I was talking with Paul about the possibility of a three-book giveaway (the Bass book, the Rock book and the Guitar book) later in the year. We are also discussing the idea of having a contest concerning the Rock Guitar book, but I can't say more than that at present as we're still hashing things out.

Stay tuned, as they say (and pardon the pun)...

Peace

Posted : 26/01/2010 1:12 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Ayuh!

We're seeing that same date over here at Barnes and Noble. March 2nd. So that my well placed click would mean rev share to someone, would you be so kind as to post a proper link so tht I can pre-order it soon? I'll make him sign it if I ever meet him. :) (and that bass book too)

Roy

Posted : 26/01/2010 3:00 am
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Since the brand new Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar should also be out this year (schedule is for October / November and heaven knows I can't get it off my desk fast enough! :wink: ), I was talking with Paul about the possibility of a three-book giveaway (the Bass book, the Rock book and the Guitar book) later in the year. We are also discussing the idea of having a contest concerning the Rock Guitar book, but I can't say more than that at present as we're still hashing things out.

Stay tuned, as they say (and pardon the pun)...

Peace

You are writing Complete Idiot's Guide for Guitar as well ?

Well, that is just awesome. I am gonna put that book as well on my wishlist.

So as it goes - David's Guitar, Rock Guitar and Bass Guitar books and I am off my way to create history ! :D

Posted : 26/01/2010 10:31 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Wow man, looks like I need to buy a bass and start investing in your upcoming books! Sounds like a great couple of years! Congrats!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 26/01/2010 11:35 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The bass book is one of my favorites about music, not only bass. David writes and explains very difficult concepts very well. He activates your imagination. I will buy each new book! Of course!

BTW what a cool link to the tablature site in the Seven Nation Army lesson! Thanks!

Posted : 26/01/2010 12:45 pm
(@davidhodge)

Thanks, Nuno. That link is one of Paul's latest experiments with Guitar Noise and its sponsors. We'll see how things go. Hopefully everyone involved will be happy with the results. So do keep him (or me or both) informed of your thoughts about it. Another new feature is an RSS Feed on the "Lessons" page to various blogs (like Jamie Andreas' of Guitar Principles) that might be of interest to folks.

And Paul will be putting up a link to Amazon specifically for the Rock Book soon. There's actually a link already - it's a new "recommended by our readers book wheel" on the News page ( https://www.guitarnoise.com/news/ ), which is a very cool feature that we'll be moving to the home page very soon. Therealso is one already on my blog ( http://www.davidhodge.com ) if you want to use that. And you can always just use the "Guitar Noise Link to Amazon" (or any of our sponsors) that's located in the thread at the very top of each page of the Forum.

Funny, I thought I made an announcement about the new Complete Idiot's Guide to Guitar a while back. Must have been in the newsletter. Just being considered for the job was an honor. Now sometimes it feels like I've got a much bigger reputation than I deserve and I simply hope I can live up to it enough to do a good job on the book.

I'll definitely be writing more about all of this as things go on. Probably so much so that you all will get bored with hearing about it (or just hearing from me) very quickly . :wink:

And it goes without saying (and I can't possibly say this enough) that I can't thank everyone in the Guitar Noise community enough for helping to make all of this possible.

Peace

Posted : 26/01/2010 1:18 pm
(@curly)
Eminent Member

To David id like to say you deserve to be the person writing the books..couldnt think of anyone more qualified. To be honest i havent been to the site in quite some time and was really happy to see that you're still going as strong as ever and as im trying to get started back to playing its good to know that the support group is still here and that David is still teaching.. Oh and btw thats a couple of books i want on my shelf.

Guitar is easier to say than saxamaphone.. Doh!!

Posted : 27/01/2010 4:52 pm