Clear all

I made it a whole year.

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I am smoke free for one year as of today. It's still a struggle occasionally, but not daily. I am singing better than I was. Well, lass horrible might be a better phrase. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My quit smoking prize was a Breedlove this past Spring.

And I've almost lost the weight I put on while quitting smoking. I only put on about 15 pounds or so, and I got rid of 11 in past 10 weeks.

OK, so anyone thinking of quitting: It helps with breathing only a little bit early on, but the voice and throat are all more comfortable. Taste elevated slightly, but still not as much as when a Migraine Aura nails me and my senses go through the roof. I still get triggers, but the more common things are done with, like after dinner, coffee, etc. None of that gets me anymore. I could never do the psyc out thing and make myself hate cigs. My wife did that a long, long time ago. For me it was just deciding that I can't, so I stopped and I was stubborn. My win loss record for quitting is about 1-50. But, as long as you have that 1 win in your column and it's the last stat....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/09/2010 2:47 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Celebrate good times..come on! Way to go Roy I'm sure your lungs thank you everyday.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 21/09/2010 2:51 pm
(@alangreen)

Well done, it takes some doing and it's not easy to keep from lighting up in those first few weeks.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 21/09/2010 3:09 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Congratulations.
I know a lot of people who haven't (yet) managed as much willpower as yo have.

Here, have some hero cookies to celebrate

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 21/09/2010 3:38 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Congrats Roy!!!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 21/09/2010 4:15 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

thanks everyone.

Well Kent, maybe just one.......

Nobody offer any donuts. My wife is still laughing at me. :evil: :evil:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/09/2010 4:18 pm
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Great job, Roy! I never smoked (I tried it a few times and decided it wasn't for me), but my wife did and I know how tough it was on her to kick the cravings. She has been smoke-free for 25 years!

Jim

Posted : 21/09/2010 6:59 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

It's been a year already?!?

WOW!!! Congrats Roy, that's one huge feat!!!

Very happy for you!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 22/09/2010 1:27 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You are the man Roy! I am proud to call you my friend. One of these trips to Florida I will have to stop by and shake your hand. I am truely happy for you. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 22/09/2010 1:43 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Well done Roy - that's excellent news :D

Posted : 22/09/2010 8:42 am
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Great job Roy. Welcome to the I Quit club!

Posted : 22/09/2010 11:09 am
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

The second year's easier, Roy! Congratulations!

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

Posted : 22/09/2010 11:56 am
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well done Roy!

I don't remember when I smoked my last cigarette... I remember the day because it was when I ran my first race (not the exact day although I can find it) but I don't remember myself as a smoker.

Anyway, congrats! 8)

Posted : 22/09/2010 9:13 pm
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Congrats Roy! I never smoked so I never had to give 'em up, but I have other vices I should get rid of... :(

Posted : 22/09/2010 10:01 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Congrats Roy! I remember when you said you were quitting, can't believe it's already been a year. It's been 5 years for me (10 years really, I had a 1 year relapse in the middle :D ) It gets much much easier and eventually you will hate the smell.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 22/09/2010 11:44 pm
Page 1 / 2