I need advice

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hey guys, it's me again.
Now i know this might not be bass related, but want a bass player's oppinion on my problem.
You see, my band and I are having some trouble getting along, mostly because of we don't seem to be able to agree on things.
For the talent show which i mention awhile ago(some of you may remember my asking which songs would be good to play) we couldn't find a singer for the show so our lead guitarist decided to call up his friend who just happend to be female. Now, I was skeptical at first but we decided it would only be for that show, so I agreed and the show went well enough. Now that the show is over, we're still singerless(why are they so damn hard to find?!) and we have another show in a months time.
We've all suggested that the lead guitarist sing, he has a great voice, but seems to think he's awful and refuses to sing, so I'm thinking we go on a hunt for a good perminant singer, when he suggests why not use the girl permeantly. I'm against it for a few reasons:1. they promised it would only be for one show because we were desperate, 2. A female voice wouldn't really suit what music we're trying to make, and 3. what genres she can sing is quite limited.
I expressed these opinions to my bandmates and the leadguitarist doesn't really seems to listen, our rhythem guitarist seems in favor of the idea and the drummer seems indifferent and says that i'm just whining.
This is really starting to tick me off, it's like my opinon doesn't matter..what should I do?!

G-Bass
Play bass, it just plain rules!

Posted : 28/03/2004 7:03 pm
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member

I'm not a bass player, nor an I an expert musician no matter how you look at my playing, but you may want to really consider having the female singer. If you're truly against it, then maybe you should try making a deal with your band mates. You look for a singer for a couple of weeks, and if one doesn't come up, get your guitarist's friend to sub in your other gig again. If she's good, keep her.

Posted : 29/03/2004 11:26 pm
(@argus)
Reputable Member

The singer is the face of the band. If the person doesn't represent what you're about then don't bother with them. Imagine if Luciano Pavarotti was in the Beatles, or if Barbra Streisand was in Nirvana. It's not really the level of talent that's important, it's how well they fit into the band.

If she portrays what the band's about, keep her. If she doesn't, or if she's a pain in the butt then tell her where she can stick herself.

Posted : 30/03/2004 1:25 pm
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thanks for the advice,
I'll keep looking for a singer, in mean time I'll express my feeling about her civily to my bandmates...maybe then they'd be more inclined to listen to what I have to say?

G-Bass

Posted : 30/03/2004 11:10 pm
(@97reb)
Noble Member

What kind of music do you play?  Defection sounds like a metal band name.  There are some really good female metal singers.  I would say, work with what you have right now and try to develop this females' voice into what your band needs.  If she can't cut it, then hopefully the others will see that.  If they can't, then hey, bass players can always find a band, and you should find something else.  Good Luck and keep on rocking!

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

Posted : 31/03/2004 1:25 am
(@g-bass)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Rock/alternative
Actualy, we've changed our name to last in line now, you can visit our site here: http://www.lastinlinesite.tk
I don't recomend downloading any of the audio we have up...trust me, it's crap  ;)
I do enjoy metal though, but mostly stuff like Black Sabbath and Metallica, I'm not into Korn or anything like that. Thanks for your advice everyone, but especialy reb we'll try our best to work this all out.

G-Bass

Posted : 03/04/2004 7:51 pm