Clear all

Jam Report 4-13-10

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

My jam partner and I had a small session the other night. He had a late arrival and early departure due to the younguns "acting crazy". He kept checking his cell phone for texts in between songs, and got the text to get home. I think he left much more relaxed than when he got here, though. That's a good thing. 8)

I was simply awful. No other way to put it. My friend joined a band a few weeks back and I think I felt some sort of pressure to perform well enough for him to come back and play with me. Here's the short song list and a brief description of how bad I was.

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - Total butchery. I forgot we were going to play it and had not practiced in months.
"Hotel California" - OK
"Bad Moon Rising" - OK
"Before You Accuse Me" - I butchered the end of the first two verses.
"Midnight Special" - OK
"Brain Damage" - Lost my place in Brain Damage, but stayed in time and got back to the right place well.
"Eclipse" - It actually might have been the best I've ever done "Eclipse"....and it still sucked.
"Rockin' In The Free World" - OK. I hit every chord just fine. We were not playing that loudly and much of the song's power was lost. It was not all that great as far as I could tell.
"Brown Eyed Girl" - OK.

OK, so 1/2 the songs I made some sort of error on. All in all, I was not good. Even the error free playing was off. There are just some nights that I didn't feel the groove all that well, and this was one of those nights. I was a little nervous, but not as bad as the first couple of times we played.

It goes without fail. I picked up the guitar yesterday and was playing really well. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 15/04/2010 7:36 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

You won't be excellent every week. Nor can you predict it. Our last practice was really good, even though we didn't really have a plan. The week before, we had a specific set of songs to work on, and we didn't do so well.

I'm sure your next session will be much better, and I'm pretty sure that last one wasn't as bad as you thought.

Posted : 15/04/2010 8:52 pm
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it, my first gig, I made so many errors in my finger-style I wanted to walk out....but I got a thumbs up anyway.

You'll learn and you'll grow and you'll realize that your mistakes will come and go, and you'll be the only one to notice :)

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 16/04/2010 3:13 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

To me, the most important thing is....Did you have fun? I know it's sort of corny but that's what really matters to me. If you did...mission accomplished!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 17/04/2010 5:36 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

One of the things I practice is that when I make a mistake, I stay on beat. I try to make sure the song does not crash and come grinding to a halt. I'm pretty sure that it helped that night.
To me, the most important thing is....Did you have fun?
That's my line? Yes, a great deal of fun. I believe that is why I put too much perssure on mywelf to perform. I wanted to make sure I could do it again.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 17/04/2010 8:17 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

To me, it sounds like you have been learning in leaps and bounds. That's great! Maybe one day we can get to the Wanted Dead or Alive jam we planned on last year. (or was it 2 years ago...) I'm getting too old.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 19/04/2010 2:57 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

To me, it sounds like you have been learning in leaps and bounds. That's great! Maybe one day we can get to the Wanted Dead or Alive jam we planned on last year. (or was it 2 years ago...) I'm getting too old.
Everytime I hear that song or play it when it comes up on my chord sheet notebook, I think of how we were going to do that. I'm working on a few different things right now, but after the jams are over with, I'd like to revisit this. I have no idea what happened last time. Perhaps it was one of my get-worse bouts.

Roy

Posted : 19/04/2010 9:52 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Or perhaps it was one of my, "I'll start 15,000,000 things at the same time..." episodes. No problem bro. We'll get to it when we do. Jam on!

Posted : 23/04/2010 2:48 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hey, if you need bass (and MIDI drum track) for that, let me know!

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 23/04/2010 10:56 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hey, if you need bass (and MIDI drum track) for that, let me know!
Sounds good to me! 8)

Roy

Posted : 24/04/2010 1:15 am