Clear all

Just had our first rocking gig...

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@nhboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

My band, Last to Leave, has been playing small jazz gigs for the past year and today we got to let loose at a block party. We were afraid it might rain, but we prepared well. We set up an 8x8 party tent over the drum set and a 12x12 over the rest of the band. I had my Fender HRD at about 4 or 5 and my new "Pedal Board of Death" playing with my Gibson SG, and the tone just came together great.

We played some Chili Peppers, Beatles, Pink Floyd, CCR, Hendrix, SRV, and a little Miles Davis. The party was really getting into it and then when we ran out of songs they wanted more. We repeated some of our earlier stuff, and then played Money, Little Wing, and Sunshine of Your Love unrehearsed.

We weren't getting paid, but we made 41 dollars each in tips.

So fun.

Posted : 23/07/2006 3:43 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's what it's all about - having fun. :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 23/07/2006 5:24 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the gig report, sounds like you had a great time. A HRD on 4 or 5 is really LOUD. But they sure sound great cranked. :twisted:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 23/07/2006 11:24 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That's a lot in tips! So you normally play Jazz? Those bands you listed rock!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 24/07/2006 11:32 pm
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

Sounds like a great mix of bands to cover....what RHCP songs do you do? Got any clips?

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

Posted : 24/07/2006 11:47 pm
(@nhboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Well we're all into jazz to some extent so we adopted that for a while because there were more gigging opportunities, but we love rock. We like to jam to some jazz at every gig though. Here's our set to the best of my memories

1. Intro funk jam
2. Can't Stop
3. Day Tripper
4. Time

5. Fortunate Son (member from people watching sang, he loved it i think)
6. Lucifer Sam (Dedicated to Syd)
7. Young Lust
8. Stadium Arcadium

9. Purple Haze straight into
10. Fire
11. Comfortably Numb
12. Under the Bridge

13. Blues Jam
14. Jazz Jam
15. Dani California
16. Money (unrehearsed they wanted more)
17. Sunshine of Your Love (Same)
18. Glass of Milk (original)

Our next goal is to get a more diversified set.

We don't have any clips, but we have a connection that will get us free studio time if we write more originals.

Posted : 25/07/2006 2:57 am
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Nice report. Thats what its all about. Congrats.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 26/07/2006 11:07 am
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Those are some of the best times playing gig's like that. Perhaps its time to start working on some original songs or you might try next time the band gets together is practice taking a chord progression from a song and play it backwards or making changes enough to see what you can come up with. There are times when folks love hear a band just jaming and really getting down.

Joe

Posted : 30/07/2006 9:47 am
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Seems like a really great mix of bands/songs, so don't torment us!

Let us hear some of your stuff!?

*(please?)
:D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

Posted : 09/08/2006 8:53 am
(@nhboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Sorry guys I don't have any clips. I'll make sure I'll post when we get some stuff online though. Thanks for the support.

Posted : 20/08/2006 2:33 am