Clear all

Laval High Musical 2006

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Not exactly my gig, my a live show regardless.

Since around October, myself and a group of friends, and a teacher have been working on a script for the 2006 Spring Musical at my school. The show went off on Wednesday and Thrurdsay to a full house on both nights.

The story was called "Do You Believe in Love" after the song, which was the opener actually. It was the story of two people; a man named Thomas, and a woman named Sophie, who during the spring of 1955 met and had a brief, but extremly meaningful relationship. Anyway, Sophies father was a policitican and they ended up having to move, and Thomas is crushed. The story continues with him becoming a journalist, and trying to piece his life back together after some hard times.

The two meet up 15 years later at a political rally that Thomas is covering and Sophie is planning to protest against. The protest goes wrong and forces Sophie to run again with out ever really getting to catch up with Thomas. He goes back to a dance every year till he starts to be old, waiting for her to show.

Both are in hospital, Thomas for recovering from a heart condition, and Sophie who just broke her arm. Towards the end of the story, the nurses realize the connection, and in the morning Sophie goes to see Thomas, who has died. There are a box of letters left in the room, all adreess to her, but never sent, because Thomas needed to talk to her the only way he knew how, so being a writer all his life he made the letters.

It's not a musical in the sense of Rent, or Cats, with the story being told in the songs, but more of a play, with music that follows the story performed by the students of the school.

The setlist included:
Do You Belive in Love
Money
Nobody Knows You When You're Down & Out
All Along the Watchtower
Lovers in a Dangerous Time
At Last (Twice)
It Makes no Difference
He Stopped Loving Her Today
Stranded
Paperback Writer
Happy Together

There were plently more, I think somewhere around 25 maybe. A big variety of music styles.
The show went great, and many people in attendance crying by the end of it, and saying it was there favourite out of the 5 or 6 that have happened over the years.

After the Thursday show there was an after party for all involved with food, and a jam session and so on. Dipsite not being in the music aspect of the night, for personal reasons, I really loved both nights, and enjoyed watching something that I had so much time and emotion invested to, then if I played every song.

So I figured that you people might like to hear a nice story of music and script coming together, to produce something great.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 12/05/2006 8:14 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Paul

Wow, that is a truly tragic story, it is easy to see why people were crying.

I think your actions behind the scenes (literally) are terrific. You know, these big famous Rock bands, the musicians get all the glory. But there is all those roadies, stagehands, and technicians that make sure the show goes perfect. They never get the credit they deserve.

Your show went well because you and others worked hard. I guess your reward is a great show.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 12/05/2006 10:49 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's a wonderful story, Paul! And, it sounds like you had a good time pulling it all together! Good for you! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 12/05/2006 11:19 pm
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Thanks! It really was a great two nights, but my favourite part of the whole thing was the breakup scene when they first part ways. The guy is crushed, and it shows him with his head in his hands being really distraught. Then It Makes no Difference by the Band. It starts of softly with the girl singing sort of wishing she could comfort Thomas, then it cuts out into the two hospital scenes where each character gives his/her opinion on it and why they wish it hadn't worked out that way. The piano plays during the dialougeThen it cuts back to the song and the chorus explode right in, then a guitar solo, sax solo, small dialouge, guitar solo, and sax outro.

It was really moving, and the song went perfect, a lot of people thought it was the highlight of the night.

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

Posted : 13/05/2006 12:20 pm