Clear all

'Lion' daughters win landmark case

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) -- Three impoverished South African women, whose father wrote "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," have won a six-year battle for royalties in a landmark case that could affect musicians worldwide.

Full story here: http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/22/lion.sleeps.royalty.ap/index.html

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 23/03/2006 2:10 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The NY Times did a more in depth story on this earlier in the week. It included additional material on how Solomon Linda popularized his a cappella falsetto over baritone/bass style of music in South Africa, and how the particular song Mbumbe (Lion) became the song we know today. Very interesting stuff -- I recommend checking it out.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 23/03/2006 4:43 pm
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I wonder what the impact it'll have on Disney with "The Lion King" movie in all. Start paying up Disney!!!

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

Posted : 23/03/2006 11:05 pm
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

I'd like to say right on but the i think of when George Harrison got sued for his intro and i wonder what can i play now?Where is the line drawn on music,I know there are no origional guitarists anymore,it's a matter of semantics to me.Palm mute on open chords?I just don't get someone owning a song other than lyrically?Am i insane?

GG

Posted : 23/03/2006 11:28 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

That piece of music has become so iconic - everyone, even kids, recognise the tune after only a few notes. Solomon Ntsele wrote both melody and words, so, like everyone else, he should be able to benefit from his invention. He was taken advantage of, by a swindling music agent.
It's about time he got recognition and his family the royalties he should have been paid since he composed it. I doubt that it will cost Disney anything - they must already be paying royalties to the thieves.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 24/03/2006 7:39 am
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I know there are no origional guitarists anymore
In 1843, the commissioner of the patent office wrote: The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end.

That wasn't true then, and it isn't true now. It doesn't matter if you're talking about inventions, guitar playing, or practically anything else.

(aside: the patent commissioner was Henry Ellsworth; this is often mis-quoted as 'everything that can be invented has been invented', and mis-credited to a later commissioner, Charles Duell... who didn't feel that way - he actually wanted to expand the patent office because so much new stuff was being invented every year)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

Posted : 24/03/2006 10:59 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I love a story with a happy ending......glad to see someone's taken on the establisment and won.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 24/03/2006 2:37 pm