man what a bummer

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter

well guys, we had to cancel our gig for tonight, our drummer broke his wrist,
we will have to cancel the next 2 gigs also, he was messing around on his sons skate board and fell, can you believe that? i was really pumped up for this gig, it would have been my 3rd, so any of you guys that gig, STAY OFF SKATE BOARDS your band needs you :cry:

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 19/03/2006 1:35 am
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

That is a bummer! Sorry to hear that. Is there anyone you know that can fill in for now? It would take a lot of hard work catching up on the songs you guys do but, it's not unheard of.

A few years back, my father and I were playing catch and I slipped on a crab apple hidden in the grass. I broke and tore the ligaments in my ankle. Normally people break there ankle turning it in, I was unfortunate and turned it out! Yeah, talk about pain, youch! I still have problems with it. Stuff like that happens.

I hope your drummer has a speedy recovery and doesn't suffer any long term effects.

Mike

Posted : 19/03/2006 1:47 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Man, Rocker, that blows.

Hope he's going to be okay.

If I was closer, I'd offer to help out.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 19/03/2006 3:40 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter

mike,

thanks buddy, torn ligaments can bother you for a long time, hopefully it doesn't bother you to much.

bish,

i wish you were close, i would love to have you, we havn't talked about finding some one else to sit in while ricks out, all of us are going to get together today andtalk it over, but
we will more than likely have to cancell our next 2 gigs even if we get some one to sit in so
he can learn our set list and we all get used to playing with each other, we don't know how long rick will be out, i would say atleast a month, i'll keep you guys posted, and thanks for the support.

Posted : 19/03/2006 10:31 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Give Def Leppard's Rick Allen a call. :D

Seriously I hope for his speedy recovery.

We Dads do stupid things sometimes.

Posted : 19/03/2006 1:00 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's too bad about your drummer Rocker.

Please pass along our well wishes, and hopes for a speedy recovery.

You know, Nick might be on to something. If your drummer can still keep time, I'm not saying do complex fills or the like, but maybe with a bit of practice with 1 hand, he would be able to still play? If so, think of all the sympathy & respect from the crowd he would get when they found out that he was playing injured. Might be worth a try. Just a suggestion.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/03/2006 2:12 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hope he gets to feeling better soon Rocker. Dont they usually say 6 - 8 weeks for broken bones? Been a while since I had one. But like Dan said, he might be able to atleast keep time.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 19/03/2006 2:46 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

That does stink. I hope he gets healed up soon.

I would encourage him to try to play light stuff. I did play with a drummer who had a wrist cast on and she played pretty well just keeping rhythm.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 19/03/2006 3:51 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter

thanks for all the replies guys, i just got back from a band meeting, rick is going to wear a cast for 6 to 8 weeks, the doc said it was a clean break, and it should heal fine, but its his right wrist and he is right handed. we called the drummer who used to be in the band before rick and i came along, he agreed to fill in for rick, we have gigs booked for the 25th and the first,
after that we are not booked for anything. bish pm'ed me and offered to fill in, isn't that cool,
i wish i would have gotten his pm before the band meeting, i would have loved to have him
what an awsome guy huh? the guy who is filling in is supposed to be a kickin drummer, but he liked blowing off practice, so they asked him to leave, if he screws up i'm going to push hard to get bish, i'll let you guys know what happens. 8)

Posted : 19/03/2006 8:31 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

bish pm'ed me and offered to fill in, isn't that cool
what an awsome guy huh?

Yep, that Bish is a good egg! 8) :D :wink:

Good luck Rocker, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 19/03/2006 9:31 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rocker

Man, that sucks. I cannot think of anything as dissapointing as having to cancel a gig. I really get keyed up for these things.

About 4 years ago I was in a Modern heavy rock band. We were pretty crazy. Our singer was the biggest prima donna.

Anyway, we had this big outdoor summer party gig. We were to get paid, free food and free drinks. Everybody else had to pay $25 to get in. They were expecting about 300 people. It was at this real nice home in the country.

As we are packing up to go to the gig about 20 friends of our singer show up. My singer promises they get in free. I can't believe it. You can't just invite 20 people to go to a paying party free without the host's permission. I tried to tell him but he wouldn't listen. Then our drummer brings his big German Shepherd puppy. This dog is all slobber and teeth and never sits still for a second. I try to tell him he can't bring the dog. It was useless, none of them would listen.

So we head out, about 10 cars full of people. We get lost in the country. Finally, we find the place. There is already a big crowd in the front yard and lots more people in the back. Our singer goes up to the host. She has a big table set up to collect the money. He TELLS her that his friends get in free. She is having none of it. They get in this loud verbal argument. I am just standing there completely embarrased. Then, our drummer pulls up. As soon as he opens his door, his German Shepherd races up to the house where the host had her dog chained up. They proceed to start ripping each other apart. :roll:

Now the host is so mad she tells us to leave or shes gonna call the cops. Man, I was pissed. I was all ready to play. I HAD TO PLAY. So I tell my singer, "follow me". I knew of a club on the way home. I pulled in and everybody followed. I went in and told the owner we will play for free drinks. He said OK.

So we played all night. I had to play.

I can also relate to the broken wrist. My last band our drummer fell and broke his arm. We also had a gig coming up. Fortunately we knew a good drummer who catches on quick. He agreed to show up and fill in.

The night of the gig he is not there. We call his cell phone and he is at a party 60 miles away, but promises to be there on time. Well, it got around 9:30 and he still wasn't there. So me and the bass player start playing without him. The place was full of people. Finally, around 10 the drummer shows. He is totally trashed. We hurriedly help him set up and start playing. He is so drunk he starts singing loudly. Boy, was he off-key. But he did pretty well on the drums. He was a hard hitter and the crowd liked him. We paid him his share.

So, sorry to steal your thread, but I can relate to this. This new drummer sounds kind of like this guy who filled for us. Expect some surprises.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 22/03/2006 1:48 am
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter

wes,

wow man, i don't mean to laugh but that is a really funny story, how did you keep from killing the singer and the drummer? i'm kinda worried about this drummer, if he doesn't
show up for the gig saterday night, i'm going to blow a head gasket, i don't care for him anyway, he is very cocky and obnoxious, i guess we will wait and see and hope for the best,
if he doesn't show, should we play with out him? or just tuck our tails between our legs and go home? a rock band with out a drummer does not look very good. i just have to wait, and
hope this guy shows some professionalism.

Posted : 22/03/2006 11:46 am
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Wes, that story is TOO funny! You guys should put together a bunch of those Gig from Hell stories. It would sell. Good thinking to stop off elsewhere and play spontaneously. Most people would've been too ticked to think like that.

Rocker, I don't know where you are located in relation to Bish, but he is an awesome drummer.

Let us know how the fill-in guy pans out. Think I'd send someone early to pick him up and haul his ass there. Make him think he's getting the VIP treatment. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

Posted : 22/03/2006 3:44 pm
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Margaret,

Thanks, I have quite a few funny gig stories. Some day I will tell you about when the ladies restroom toilet flooded over. :D

Rocker

The drummer with the dog was quite a character. He never failed to show up for a gig, but he put a real scare into us many times. He would show up about 5 minutes before each show. Of course we had to help him haul all his gear in and set it up. I think that was the idea. He was also very cocky and loved to drink. He would get cross-eyed. But he was a great drummer. He has a degree in music and teaches at a middle school. He could play guitar, piano, and sing very well. But his personal life was a mess.

The gig with the fill in drummer we had to play without him for about 30 minutes. Fortunately, I had a bunch of spare songs in the back of my notebook. My bass player had been with me a long time and knew them all. They were mellow strum type songs like Nights in White Satin by the Moody Blues. So we just played a bunch of those. Those kind of songs are ok without a drummer.

Yeah, prima donnas can be a real problem. I would rather play with someone with just ok ability but with a great attitude who thinks of the band than some super talented star who only thinks about himself. Those people will cause you many problems.

Hope the fill in drummer is ok. Make sure to give us a report. But I tell ya, skipping a practice is not a good sign.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 22/03/2006 8:35 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

bish pm'ed me and offered to fill in, isn't that cool
what an awsome guy huh?

Yep, that Bish is a good egg! 8) :D :wink:

Good luck Rocker, I hope everything goes smoothly.

Dan

Thanks, guys! :oops:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 29/03/2006 12:17 am