Clear all

Might have a drummer

59 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Turns out my wife's friend's son plays drums. We got together and jammed last night and it went OK. There is potential. The down side is he brought his moocher friend along who is also a drummer. He isn't really that good and he is a free loader to boot. This guy is not the best drummer I have played with but considering he was playing my crappy Sam's Club electric set he did OK. Also he is a little handycapped. He cut his right hand off in a work accident. They reattached it but it doesn't work the best. He tapes the stick to it and does amazingly well. I think if we get him away from the looser friend and get him on a real set we might do something.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 01/09/2010 1:15 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Too bad about the moocher friend and the physical ailment, of course. Where there's a will, there's normally a way. I hope it goes well. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 01/09/2010 4:16 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

OK, gonna try again tonight. We sort of leaked word the cling along friend wasn't welcome. Just our perspective drummer and his girl friend. Our drummer is 31, ThunderFingers is 23 and I am ... well ... lets just say it is a nice mix. :wink: Now that I know we are using my digital drums I have a more proper setup. They are still into the PA but have their own 15" bass cabinet ppowered by a 60 watt stereo reciever. It adds some nice thump to the kick drum. I have that placed right in front of them so he can feel it.

Posted : 01/09/2010 8:16 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Did the drummer accept the cling-on friend elimination news? (sounds like a Country-Blues song)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 01/09/2010 10:10 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

OK .... well ....... Tom showed up with a set of "beater" drums he bought to leave here or where ever he is jamming. Was asking what our intentions were. He wants to do a band. The friend did show up later but he had beer and was a changed man. Much better aditude, i think a message was delivered. The best news is Tom was really good on the real set. He is willing to play what ever we do. Turns out he jams with a guy that I went to school with. He is getting married in a month. He is wondering if we can get 10 songs together so we can play. I'm like, sure! 2 days and we aren't sounding half bad already. I think this is gonna be fun!

Posted : 02/09/2010 3:03 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's awesome. And you even got a small month away deadline. How cool is that?

Roy

Posted : 02/09/2010 8:16 am
(@apache)
Reputable Member

Excellent - that sounds like you have a plan :-)

Enjoy!

Posted : 02/09/2010 6:01 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Just had our 3rd practice. I think ThunderFingers and I have found our Kieth Moon! :shock: We are now to the point of making each other better. We are going to search out a real singer so I can concentrate on my playing. It takes such a toll for the meager return my poor voice provides. Tommy says he has contacts. He just wants us to get tight so we can attract the best vocalist. I can see that. For now, I will man the mic. He is amazed with our playing as are we with his. He is a nice guy and we like him. Here we go!

Posted : 03/09/2010 3:39 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

That's awesome! Was curious. What's the set list(s) shaping up to look like?

Roy

Posted : 03/09/2010 10:33 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Green Day Basket Case
Blue Oyster Cult Burning For You
Ozzy Crazy Train
Green Jelly 3 Little Pigs
Lynyrd Skynyrd Gimme 3 Steps
KISS Strutter
KISS Detroit Rock City
Kinks Girl I Want to be With You/Paranoia
Tho Who Pinball Wizzard
Bladk Sabbath Paranoid
Black Sabbath Sweet Leaf

We have fooled with a lot of stuff. Last night we polished up Basket Case and Burning for You and realized we could pretty much just play alot of the others when just screwing around. It is getting fun!

Posted : 03/09/2010 1:01 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Sweet!

Roy

Posted : 03/09/2010 2:18 pm
(@apache)
Reputable Member

That sound excellent!

We look forward to the vids :D

Posted : 03/09/2010 7:41 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

We will have to see if Tommy is up for vids. :lol: I don't think he knows we do that. We will have to try to get one or two if we play the wedding.

Posted : 04/09/2010 1:13 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, while I was here working last night ThunderFingers jammed with Tommy and a guitarist friend of his. Looks like we might be gaining another guitar player. I can't wait for my day off so we can hopefully all get together. ThunderFingers said he did a lot of slower stuff and had a clean tone but was open minded to our stuff. I hope so cause I got one of them guitars like Ted Nugent has. Simply refuses to play sweet (excrement)! This is starting to look more promising by the day. Oh, bonus. You know how a band has that guy that schmoozes with the bar owners and gets the gigs? Tommy says he has always been "that" guy in the bands he has been in.

Posted : 05/09/2010 8:57 am
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Sounds GREAT TR.

Your set list is making me jealous. If I were any place near you, I'd ask if I could sit in. (Happy to share the mic time with ya- this is the kind of stuff I can sing!)

Best of luck, and GET SOME VIDEOS! :-)

Ande

Posted : 06/09/2010 3:14 am
Page 1 / 4