Might have a drummer

59 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What good is coming by "one more time"?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 29/09/2010 11:35 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Man I wish I lived near you I'd love to play with you I can't take the drama I'm going through and I had to laugh at your last comment about the working guys seem to be the ones with the time to practice.
I wish you did too!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 29/09/2010 11:55 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy, the reason was he was going to come by to help work on the songs with the new bass player but I need to really know what his deal is if its the music (which I can change) or if he doesn't really feel us :( .

But this drama is getting out of hand and these aren't kids.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 29/09/2010 12:11 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

OK, had a practice tonight. A couple of guys that went to school with me, friends of the drummer, stopped by. They have a band and host a jam space for a lot of bands. They were majorly impressed. The drummer was ready to go, all business. Brought over his set of Mapex drums and Zildjian symbals. Said to call him even wher the singer can't make it, we will practice anyways. Born again hard? I dunno but he does just live down the road. These guys he brought over have jobs and are OK. Old friends, high school reunion stuff. Our singer talked with us, he is all business too. Needed to let him know it was mostly the drummer that was the problem the last time. He was stone cold sober again when we picked him up. Will this last? Who knows but message delivered. I mean, we have a few beers while we practice and if they want to do what ever that is OK. Just show up sober and by the time practice is done still be able to function. After that, do what you like. It is really hard to get messed up if you are actually playing music. Yeah, call me crazy but we will continue for a bit. The drummer even has us a casual cart blanche for a bar gig. It is a "Just let us know when you want to play". I'm sure it will be just for drinks or a bargan price but a great starter gig. The bar is owned by an old friends little sister. I'm sure she doesn't know it's me. They never have bands. Safe, practice place for a tryout gig. No immediate plans though since people have things to prove to me. This is a perfect under the radar place to do something like this though. We will see. Yeah, you all advised an abort but it is so much fun and you really need to appreciate what it is like up here. ThunderFingers and I could show up and fart in the mic at this bar and we would be rock gods. It is really no risk.

Posted : 02/10/2010 4:22 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, you all advised an abort
I advised caution of laying your rep out.

So, I got thinking. This drummer and maybe the singer too....they are young and are learning a lot about life that we did when we were that age, having one-nighters with their moms. What I'm getting at is that perhaps a couple of ground rules about when to start and when to not start drinking and when it's time to relax and have one. We never got the manual that told us when to hit the bottle hard and when not too. If they know the rules, even if derived by others' mistakes, and decide to abide by them consistently, than no harm is done. These are kids. Someone my age showing up drunk....that's a little past problem stage. That's beyond trend.

It's kind of like me and my foul mouthed and naughty humor. I need to learn when to edit myself and when I don't. Well, they tell me I need to.... there are key words. If I hear the word "filter" as a complete sentance, I stop talking and think about what I was about to say and my surroundings. Pretty bad when it's too much for bikers. <sigh>

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 02/10/2010 4:40 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

TR you'll do it until it drives you crazy then you'll make a change. Hopefully you won't have to though and it will all work out. If you are anything like us which you seem to be, the drama isn't over yet though!!!

But I think that's part of the deal.

Posted : 04/10/2010 12:30 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, latest developement, the drummer and his girlfriend split up. She was not a fan of him doing the band thing. The band is not the reason, but it didn't help things he was trying to keep her happy. I think he will be available to play more now. Now just to get the singer's girlfriend to see it our way. :lol: Me, I've been married 26 years. My wife is like, yeah, go do something why don't you. :mrgreen:

News note: Installed a real door in The Man Cave to replace the one I made. It will keep out the elements better. Gonna add a little more insulation and a heat run and hopefully good by space heater this winter.

Posted : 06/10/2010 6:13 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well that might be a good thing and hopefully that will get him to practice more.

My saga is officially over after I jammed with the old bass player a new drummer and the other guitar player Friday. We had a great practice but I realized that I was now in two bands (we practiced the week before with the old drummer and a singer and had a new bass player lined up)but I was still in the middle of the little hissy fit between the original drummer and bass player.

I really don't want/need the stress of who I have to worry about is going to be mad at me because I played with so and so.

So I told them I was done for awhile unless the drummer and bass player actually talked to each other and came to an agreement on a path forward so I didn't have to pick sides, but it doesn't look like it will happen so I'm done.

Oh well I'll give it acouple months and then maybe regroup. I got plenty to do around the house.. :shock:

Posted : 06/10/2010 1:55 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, we have had a small hiatus. (Is that how you spell that?) :lol: My son and I are really wanting to ditch the singer as he is poor about showing up. The drummer has been on a little sebatical .... ummmmmm ........ well getting help he needed. The plan is to regroup and pick up where we left off. I don't think the singer is a good influence considering the drummer's issues. My son and I would like to practice just the 3 of us and not be in such a hurry to have a singer. I think we need to be in less of a hurry. I'd like to get things really tight and "shop" for a singer. I can sing for practice. I'm almost wondering if before our drummer just needed someone who had the drug thing in common with him? That is the last thing he needs now. (I mean after a perfectly good week in detox)

On another front, my son's ex girlfriend has been calling him. She dumped him, broke his heart, messed him up now she wants to play with him some more. Can't talk sense into him though. For some reason hestill loves her. She is not 21 yet, couldn't go to the bars and I don't think she will allow him to be in a band. She was very controlling when they were together. As of yet I have not allowed her back into my house. Something is gonna have to give. Stay tuned. Just let me say if she were to be at a band practice there would be drama to put an end to the practice. There would be a sudden illness or something would happen. The girl has emotional issues and is bad news. How about a one man band? Yeah ... thats it!!

If this was easy everybody would do it right? :roll:

Posted : 21/10/2010 2:51 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

How about a one man band? Yeah ... thats it!!
Band in a Box. :lol:

Hopefully she's matured a bit? Best of luck with that.

It's amazing how chemistry works and what it takes, especially when it's not in a job situation. I decided a few years ago while this ear issue was coming to a head that I was never, ever going to lead anything ever again. Especially not on a hobby thing.

Roy

Posted : 21/10/2010 10:34 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well TR that sux but I've pretty much gone through the same thing, maybe not for exactly the same reason but close enough.

We are in limbo now, in theory the original 4 are back but we'll see. The drummer now got into another band so I'm waiting for him to tell us he's done. That might finally be a good thing becuase he's hooked up with a drama queen girl that is nothing but trouble. She already ruined a practice with an illness. Not to be mean but you could have predicted it was going to happen.

Take it slow it'll work out don't let it get to you, no sense stressing over it I learned that awhile ago.

Posted : 21/10/2010 10:52 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter

We are going to try a practice on Saturday night. We will only have a couple of hours but my son says he will be there. (That means coming straight home after work without the witch in tow) Our drummer has been drinking green tea since he got out of detox. I plan to make sure there is no beer in the refridgerator. I can drink soda, it won't kill me. I have even done it before. :lol: Need to be supportive. Yup, you are right cnev. Gonna take it slow.

Posted : 22/10/2010 4:19 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, this time of year you can hide the beer outside at night without it getting warmed up. :)

That is good, though. Being supportive. My smoking friends all made sure they didn't light up around me for quite some time.

Roy

Posted : 22/10/2010 12:24 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

WOW, I'm just catching up on this thread.

And this is different that what band? :twisted:

This is partially why I am not currently in a band with obligations. It just isn't worth it anymore.

Good luck with the projects!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 22/10/2010 6:29 pm
Page 4 / 4