Clear all

MODERATORS READ THIS!

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Reactions
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I used to enjoy this website but today changed all of that and I'll never be back!  What's up with the "Diffuser" pop-up that Mentions the "fu$%& whore" in the lyrics?  It's offensive and the music isn't that great anyway (I guess that's why they have to resort to swearing in their lyrics) -- what a bunch of scum.  My kids like to come to this site to learn something, but not any longer -- I'm blocking your webpage and I will make sure the sponsors are aware of my displeasure.

Posted : 19/07/2003 4:45 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Well Steve,

To tell you the truth, I noticed that for the first time late last night.

We are aware.  I posted the same thing last night in our forum.  But take my word for it, we were completely unaware.  We do pride ourselves on being a site for all ages.

Give us half a moment to figure out what to do about it.

If you leave an email address, I'll personally contact you to let you know.

Why don't you let your first course of action be make us aware and see if we fix it?

Posted : 19/07/2003 5:46 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

We're working on it.

We've contacted the vendor and told them we don't want that kind of content.  It will be fixed ASAP.

Sorry for any offense given.

Nick

Posted : 20/07/2003 2:01 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

please forward some direction via the forum how to stop this unfortunate crap

thanks

Posted : 20/07/2003 5:46 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Nick,
Thanks for the reply and sorry if I unjustly vented on you guys.  I thought this pop-up was something you could control.  It's just that you all have such a great site, and it irritates me that I have to worry about my kids coming here and hearing this type of trash.  I hope you all get it figured out soon.  [email protected]

Posted : 20/07/2003 6:41 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Steve,
If you use Netscape 7 (Mozilla is the same browser) or Opera, there are options to stop pop-ups appearing unless you have specifically requested them.

I don't think IE has such a function.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 20/07/2003 9:34 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It looks like it won't be fixed until Monday morning, so keep your sound down 'til then. :-[

Posted : 20/07/2003 11:56 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Under promise, over deliver.  It should be fixed now.

Thank you Steve for bringing it to our attention.

On behalf of the entire Guitar Noise family, our apologies for any offense given.

Nick Torres
Senior Editor

Posted : 20/07/2003 6:23 pm
(@alangreen)

Popup Stopper would completely prevent the Diffuser window opening. That might upset the advertisers but the software's freely available.

A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 22/07/2003 1:50 pm
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

You can stop pop-ups with netscape (download free from http://www.netscape.com ). The only problem is it won't play windows media files, but if you right click and then go 'save link target as...' then add the file extension to the file name. This way you can download the file rather than stream it, clever eh? and you can't do that with Internet Explorer.

Pete. :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

Posted : 22/07/2003 3:16 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

And Mozilla too.

Pete, can you post step by step instructions of how to make the wmv work with Netscape?

I'm sure it will be asked often in the future.

Posted : 22/07/2003 3:28 pm
(@wrathchild71)

HEY GUYS, I WAS WONDERING WHEN AND WHY THAT POPPUP STARTED, OR HAS IT ALWAYS BEEN THERE.  I JUST REPLACED A FRIZZLEFRIED HARD DRIVE, SO I MIGHT HAVE HAD POPPUP PROTECTION B4.
   BY THE WAY MY NEW HOMEPAGE IS http://WWW.GUITARNOISE.COM ;D
  SORRY CANT TURN OFF MY CAP LOCK
   WRATH

Posted : 22/07/2003 10:59 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Steve, I've been coming to this site well over a year now and have seen some gracious people put together educational material for guys like you and me.  Everything tasteful and well edited.  Seems like the people at the site and the volunteers want this to continue on for many, many years a the top free guitar site for people who don't need offensive material or other bogus.  When I saw you post I knew Not one person affiliated directly with the site would promote anything they would not let their kids hear.  Heck, I'm a parent , too, and don't want anything offense for my son.

Fortunately, I don't have sound on this computer so their could be music like you mentioned or a church choir and I would not know.  Nevertheless, I'm glad it's fixed and that you are going to continue to lurk about here and your kid(s).  Still a fantastic site!  :-)

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 24/07/2003 9:30 pm
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Wow.  I wasn' t aware of this problem either.  I typically use Netscape and recently updated to 7.1 which automatically blocks pop-ups.  I've got Explorer too and use it when I need Windows Media.
It's complicated, I guess.
But I'm really glad someone brought this issue up.  My little ones run around too and I'd hate to have explain some of the language that shows up on a lot of sites.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 25/07/2003 6:00 pm
(@Anonymous)

There is no option to block pop-ups in windows explorer   :-[  But i am glad the problem is fixed.

Later  8)

Posted : 17/09/2003 11:49 pm
Page 1 / 2