Notifications
Clear all

Music Appreciation?

23 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

not sure how it can be called a "flawed experiment" unless we know the objective, hypothesis, experimental design ... yada yada yada. was it about music, buskers, social interaction under certain circumstances or...? interesting news story, but we don't have enough info to judge the "science."

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 15/01/2009 2:25 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

In my recent trip to Auckland, I met with a busker. He played an MIA Strat through an small amp and he got the best sound that my simple and humble ears have listened in my life. I heard him and I tried to identify where the sound came (he was in a office building near to Victoria Street). I had my presentation in 30 minutes but I was some time listening and talking with him. While I was listening, a German young girl arrived. She was at home and she heard the music...

Usually you are in a hurry and usually you are with your own problems. Perhaps all should be much better if we open our eyes and our ears more frequently.

Cool experiment Ken.

Posted : 15/01/2009 2:36 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

gnease there's no science there at all. There are so many variables which can't be controlled it would be impossible or totally subjective as to how you could interpret any results.

That's nothing more than interesting news story at best.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 15/01/2009 2:59 pm
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

I don't know about the science but I have been in that situation before, on my way somewhere and there is a musician playing nearby. I always look at them, listen as I go, try to take in as much as I can in the short amount of time that we are in the same space and wish I could stay to hear more. I don't see how that is not appreciating beauty. All it means is that I do not have the luxury of time to spend listening. Beauty will not pay my bills or meet my obligations to other people but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate it, albeit for just a moment.

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

Posted : 15/01/2009 3:45 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

good point. especially with so much going on, the ability and willingness to snatch pleasure from small moments is skill many of us have developed. nice when we are afforded time to savor something we enjoy, but it's not always possible. if we had to wait for "enough time" or the "right time," we'd get zilch. whether good or bad, many of us have learned to recharge emotionally and spiritually in these brief encounters.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 15/01/2009 4:41 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Doc Watson used to play on the sidewalks on Saturdays in Boone, NC. He didn't draw crowds, either.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 15/01/2009 4:52 pm
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I agree that their conclusions and experiment leave something to be desired.

No one stops for anything during their commute, especially the morning commute.

If he had been out there at lunch time when people have some time, there would have been more people pausing to listen... and drop some coin.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

Posted : 15/01/2009 6:27 pm
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Way back when, a friend and I busked in front of a liquor store in Vancouver. We were renting a pair of congas by the week and decided one day to take things public. People were so nice and encouraging! Virtually no one stopped to listen (we were pretty bad), but a large number of folks who passed offered kind words, money or both.
To this day, I will tend to give money to anyone busking. Merit has nothing to do with it. If you're making an effort, even if it's mangling Here Comes the Sun, you'll get some change from me.
:)

Don

Posted : 15/01/2009 7:25 pm
Page 2 / 2