Clear all

new band's first gig

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tone4days)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

my new band, Beyond Logic, has its debut gig today .. playing 10 songs or so at an outdoor neighborhood block party .. we play 'complicated classic rock' ... opening with 'funeral for a friend / love lies bleeding' by elton john ... then "rikki don't lose that number' and 'reeling in the years' by steely dan ... then 'on the loose' by saga .. then i get the spotlight with 'cause we've ended as lovers' by jeff beck .. then 'abacab' and 'turn it on' by genesis .. then 'carry on my wayward son' by kansas and ending up with 'rosana' by toto ... if they want more, we'll blow the roof off with 'roll with the changes' by reo speedwagon

my first gig in a long time with another guitarist .. i'll be playing some guitar synth on 'funeral' and 'rosana' too .. lots of fun ... its a gorgeous day so i'm looking forward to a good time

have a fun weekend all

Posted : 23/08/2003 7:49 pm
(@argus)
Reputable Member

then "rikki don't lose that number' and 'reeling in the years' by steely dan

HEATHEN!
CHARLETAN!
MOUNTEBANK!
RUBE!

They released MUCH better songs than those. The last thing the world needs is a new interpretation of "Rikki". Well "Do It Again" would rank up there too.

That said, it's a shame I'm stuck in the Southern Hemisphere else I'd check it out.

Posted : 23/08/2003 8:13 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Argus is just jealous of your band's vocals! ;D

I was with you all the way up to "Roll with the Changes" which certainly isn't complicated.  I infer that you have a pretty good keyboard player as well.

But it all sounds great!

Have fun!

-Laz

Posted : 23/08/2003 9:14 pm
(@argus)
Reputable Member

Argus is just jealous of your band's vocals! ;D

Hey, if I can't sing well then NOBODY CAN! ;)

Posted : 23/08/2003 9:28 pm
(@tone4days)
Eminent Member
Topic starter

LOL - yeah - we picked steely dan tunes that we could actually DO ... if i had my way, i'd be on stage with a 10 or 12 piece band recreating Aja in its entirety :-)

we threw in 'bodhistatva' too  .. it was rough because we had only gotten through it once or twice in practice, but it was fun to play ...

we bailed on 'roll with the changes' because the singer didnt know the breaks and didnt want to wing it .. i've always loved the guitar solos in that song and cant wait to rip on them

the crowd was into it, but relaxed from the adult beverages ... looking forward to learning another set or two .. yeah, our keyboard player has strong chops and a killer rig - 5 keyboards on stage plus a few more modules in his rack ... too bad he doesnt read music or know much theory .. its hard to communicate with him in practice, but he always plays well once he learns the stuff

we'll probably be adding some allman bros, styx, yes, boston, beatles, to name a few - plus a few more from the artists we already cover ..

not bad for a some greying mortgage brokers, an HVAC salesman, a lease broker and an engineering manager :-)

have fun

cheers,
bc

Posted : 24/08/2003 7:23 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

One of the best things about being a working adult in a "band for fun" is that everyone has really great equipment!

Next time you're playing, post it here, as you are within a tank of gas of Nick, horse, and others.

-Laz

Posted : 25/08/2003 6:03 pm