New gig experience

11 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I know it's been a while since I've done a gig report. My current band Caught in the Act has been playing almost every weekend this year and the next 4 are booked, as well.

Last night was a very unique experience for me as well as the rest of the band. Living on the border of two states has its good and bad characterisitics. When everything is equal this is a huge playing field. When there are major differences between the philosophies between them, then sometimes things are either really good or really bad.

I don't have a head count of how many people from this forum live in Illinois but I'm sure by now you've become aware of the indoors smoking ban? Last night we played our first Illinois gig since the ban went into effect.

All I can say is WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOOWWOOWWOOWWOWOWOOWWOWOWOOWWOWWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!

All during the night some of us non-smokers were comparing notes. It was something else to actually be in a bar and not have to smell the stench or take it home with you. I got home last night after the gig and my clothes didn't smell, my gear didn't smell, my truck didn't smell wreaking of cigarette smoke.

If I don't empty out my truck when I get home, I usually have to leave the windows down to air it out.

We even had below zero temps last night but the people still came. Yes, you could see some would leave but only to find they had gone outside to smoke. Funny thing is when you would walk by someone you could tell who the smokers were and who were clean.

Bottom line, businesses were not affected by the ban. We had actually more people there last night than the first time we played there back in December despite the sub-zero temps.

As for the crowd. We had a lot of lookers and some dancers. I know some band members feel bad when the crowd isn't dancing. For me, as long as they aren't leaving, I'm good. They can sit there and watch the show all they want. It's when everyone leaves that you may want to step back and wonder what is wrong with the band.

The night started out slow as most people were hunkered around the bar in the other room or other half of the building. There were about a half dozen tables on our side and some benches and stools. It was about half full when we started but by the end of the second set the place was packed. I'd say the capacity to be maybe 75 or 80 people and we had it filling up.

During the course of the night we probably only had a handful leave that didn't return.

I had people come up to me last night, that I didn't know, asking me how I got in this band and where they'd seen me before. Most said they remembered me from the DLH project from last year. Other than that, I'm sort of an unknown due to the limited number of places Hap Hazard played. And being with them on and off over the last 7 years tends to hide you from any recognition. So it's nice to be back out amongst the living, again. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 20/01/2008 1:40 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I've been kind of anxious to see how the smoking ban goes over here in Chicago as well, but from what I've seen there hasn't been much difference. I usually hit the open mike at the Gallery Cabaret here in the city, and was interested to see how the new dynamic would play out because of the smoking ban. Beside the very positive comments from performers, everything went as usual. There were only 2 or 3 patrons I could see dashing out for a smoke , but not as often as I thought either. My husband is a smoker, and I'm trying really hard to quit completely, with dubious results. Not having the option has helped me, and only minimally affected my spouse. I'm still not convinced an all out ban is the right way to go, but I think the bar owners can rest a little easier, knowing their business won't be affected as much as initially thought.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 20/01/2008 4:10 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

In the CT and NY areas, these bans have been in effect for several years. After some initial frustration and concerns, business has returned to normal. I know that we go out more often now. The number of people popping out for a smoke keeps going down, but never seems to reach zero. One bar owner told me that he thinks he's lost the "last round" of drinks, as people will leave to get a smoke, and then keep going.

Bish, if they're sitting and listening, then they're buying drinks, which they can't do if they're dancing. So the bar owner appreciates dancers for the entertainment, and observers for their money.

Posted : 20/01/2008 6:53 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's one pub near where I live where the landlord and landlady are both smokers, ALL the bar staff smoke (I know this for a fact as one of my daughters works there!) and probably 90% of the clientele - one of those friendly crowds where everyone knows everyone else were smokers.

My daughter often works on her own - occasionally, she'd have a cigarette whilst coming from behind the bar. Now she can't, as she has to go outside and she can't keep her eye on the till. Trade has dropped by over 50% and the owners are losing money hand over fist and are having to sell up.

I agree 100% with a smoking ban where people are eating - but in an establishment like the above, well, it just seems silly to me.

Bish, I can see why you'd enjoy a smoke free atmosphere - fair enough, and people can always go outside for a smoke if they're desperate. I just don't see why EVERY bar in EVERY town has to be smoke free - a little common sense would go a long way, I think. But expecting common sense from a government? Nah, not much chance of that, is there!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 20/01/2008 7:46 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Yea, I haven't been to a bar in months, but when I did, I smoked like mad. Next time I get out it will be weird to have to go outside to smoke. Funny, 4 years ago I was on vacation in Boca Raton, Florida. I walked into a bar with a lit cigarette and ordered a beer. The bartender said "no smoking in the bar." I replied "are you kidding me?" Until that moment I had never been in a bar that banned smoking.

Bish, glad to hear the gig went over well and you didn't have to wreak when you got home!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 20/01/2008 11:17 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I was just browsing one of my local forums for musicians and ran across this post from another local musician that I don't know.

So this is an unsolicited, unpaid testimonial. I swear.... :twisted:

I went and checked out the new" Caught in the Act Band "with the new guitarist and drummer on Saturday. Me and Gene go back a long way since high school. You guys Rock! The sound guy is great! Pretty tight I must say! Bishop is the drummer and he is like a rock! SOLID! Jerry can play and you old married couple Connie and Gene just work. Not bad Gene with the foot action!lol I have been checking out bands lately and is nice to see all of us old players still doing what we love. MUSIC IS IN OUR SOUL AND NOBODY CAN EVER TAKE IT AWAY!!! Keep rockin QUADS!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 21/01/2008 3:56 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

As Laz mentioned it's been like that for several years in CT. At first there was some bars complaining about it, those tend to be the local bars, some even let people smoke as they have a farily regular clientel. As long as no one actually complains to the liqour board some bar owners allow it.

Personally, I'm not a smoker so it's great for me. i always hated coming home smelling like an astray and having to wash all my clothes.

If I were a smoker I doubt I'd feel the same way though.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 21/01/2008 4:27 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

There's one pub near where I live where the landlord and landlady are both smokers, ALL the bar staff smoke (I know this for a fact as one of my daughters works there!) and probably 90% of the clientele - one of those friendly crowds where everyone knows everyone else were smokers.

Vic - the strongest argument (USA) for smoke-free workplaces is to benefit employee health. The gov't would never win trying to restrict the "freedom" of the patrons, instead they said that you can't force an employee to work in a smoke-filled building, which has been true for most office buildings for a long time. Originally, they wrote exceptions for bars and restaurants.

As noted by cnev, most places go through a bad patch for a month or three, and then everyone accepts the new reality and gets back to the music and drinking.

Posted : 21/01/2008 4:51 pm
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Stale beer (amongst other things) doesn't smell too good. It used to be masked by the smoke, which is a smell I find less offensive on the nostrils. I have no doubt there's just as many people who think the opposite. Meh.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

Posted : 21/01/2008 7:22 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Bish, good to read your report and that you guys rocked. Sounds like a much better time than that other band you didn't enjoy a whole lot.

I'm an odd smoker. I smoke and have for 24 years or so. Funny thing, is that I do not like the smell of smoke in closed quarters. I smoke on my deck at home or on the patio at work. If there's a bad storm going on or something, I'll go to the garage sometimes with the door open and watch it while smoking. I just can't stand the smell of a smokey home or overly smokey bar.

The laws here in North Carolina are not as flexible as one might imagine, being a tobacco state. At least not here in the city. Bars are about the only place. I think some restarants too, but increasingly rare. You even have to go to a smoking area at baseball games. Even some of the hospitals do not even have smoking areas anymore. Entire smoke-free campusses. (sp?)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 22/01/2008 4:42 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

+1

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 22/01/2008 8:05 pm