Clear all

New song for intermediates

14 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

When are we going to see a new song for intermediates? It's been awhile since the last one and I look forward to each one.  David does a great job with them.

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

Posted : 09/06/2003 5:05 pm
(@davidhodge)

Hopefully within the next week-and-a-half. Sorry about the delay but things have been even crazier with me than usual.

The next intermediate lesson, by the way, will be Neil Young's Like A Hurricane.

And in case you missed it in one of the past couple of newsletters, the upcoming plan for lessons looks like this:

Intermediate: Like A Hurricane
Beginners: Wild World (Cat Stevens)
Intermediate: Driver Eight (REM)
Beginners: Wish You Were Here (the basics)  
Intermediate: Wish You Were Here (step by step on the intro and also other fills you can do)

Of course, now all I need is the time to write it all!

Peace

Posted : 09/06/2003 5:14 pm
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

David,

Sounds great! I understand you have a real job and need to carve out time to do this.  Ever thought about doing a lesson on Brown-eyed girl would be a great lesson on sixths or as you like to call them inverted thirds?.  

Posted : 09/06/2003 5:20 pm
(@davidhodge)

Your mention of Brown Eyed Girl is a good one. Not that I need to give myself any more projects, but there are a number of songs that fit into the "easy to learn the basics, but you really need a separate lesson on the 'fun" stuff..." This was my idea behind doing two separate lessons on Wish You Were Here and I definitely think Brown Eyed Girl, and even Wild Night would work as well (two others that I think will work best in this format are Sultans of Swing and Hotel California).

Consider these Van Morrison songs tacked on to the (ever-growing) list!  ;) And, by the bye, thanks for the kudos in your first post. I truly enjoy writing these and I also really wish I could spend my days writing them.

Peace

Posted : 09/06/2003 6:06 pm
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

Hi David,
I too really enjoy your lessons and am very much in favor of the "Sultans of Swing" idea.
Ken

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

Posted : 10/06/2003 4:56 am
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member

Hey guys,

I might have missed something but where can I view the past 'newsletters'. Do I have to subscribe to get them by E-Mail.

Thanks,

Lunarist

Posted : 11/06/2003 5:34 am
(@alangreen)

On the Home Page, there's a box on the top right of the page - it's got a picture of Elvis.

"Details" underneath the "Your e-mail" prompt

On the next page, above the words "Sign Up" you'll see a link to "Archives" - clickety click and there you are, in all their glory.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 11/06/2003 9:27 am
(@davidhodge)

And you can view past newsletters on this page

https://www.guitarnoise.com/news/index.html

Peace

Posted : 11/06/2003 1:40 pm
(@alangreen)

David's method is far easier, but if you've had some legal training like me then I just know you'll prefer the complicated route.

A  8)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 11/06/2003 1:46 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I second the motion for Sultans of Swing, I just got it from my teacher and I like the way Dave lays out his lessons, although I had made one little suggestion and that was to always include an Mp3 of the entire song at the end of the lesson, for us newbies it would help to be able to play along with.

Otherwise they're always great.

So Dave come on let's get going here, what's the problem, work, family...you can probably cut out that useless time you are using to sleep to post a few more lessons.....Just kiddin

Looking forward to some new ones,

Chris

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 13/06/2003 3:30 pm
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I personally can't wait for the Like a hurricane lesson.  Neil Young is probably my favorite songwriter.  He may not be a guitar virtuoso but his playing always fits in perfectly with the song "Once I thought I saw you in a crowded, hazy bar, dancin on a light from star to star,........."

Posted : 13/06/2003 9:45 pm
(@bill_scanlon)

Hey David,
I am looking forward to the
Beginners: Wish You Were Here (the basics)  
Intermediate: Wish You Were Here (step by step on the intro and also other fills you can do)

I sent you an email yesterday I'm sure you are very busy and have read it yet.  I enjoy your lessons keep up the great work.  I really like having the mp3's included in the lessons it's a great help.  I can't wait for these two lesson to be posted..

"..a beach and a bottomless drink may not cure the world's problems, but it can really get your head in the right place"...Kenny Chesney

Posted : 28/08/2003 6:47 pm
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Both Driver8 and Wish you were here are songs I try to play, with mediocre succes. Would love to see those lessons :D

Posted : 18/09/2003 9:12 pm
(@davidhodge)

Driver Eight should be here next week. As you might have seen, I got sidetracked and wrote up the new beginner's lesson, Hurt, as a tribute of sorts.

Thanks for your patience with all this. I hope you'll find it a good lesson.

Peace

Posted : 18/09/2003 9:22 pm