193 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
29.4 K Views
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

TR are you kidding me I can't type for crap anymore I don't know what happened maybe it's just now I'm too lazy to correct.

Update:

Well knock one bass player off the list thanks to our drummer. He tells him to go down to the open Mic (for an audition) why I have no idea since the band doesn't go down there. I was going to play with the guy but I was under the assumption he ws coming down just to jam and have fun no audition.

Anyway, the drummer never even played with the guy and he wasn't happy. He didn't liek the fact the drummer didn't play with him all night and now doesn't want anything to do with the band...oh well another one bites the dust.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 11/10/2011 11:49 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What an odd.......yeah, that's not right.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 11/10/2011 11:51 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well I'mnot sure why he would have called it an audition in the first place but the open mic is a bit out of control at times so it doesn't always work out the way you want.

I blame both of them to some degree but at the end of the day it really isn't that big of a deal that they didn't play together, it really didn't mean much.

Oh well fragile ego's in the music world I guess, but we have to move on, the next guy is up tomorrow night and I hear he is bringing a friend that plays guitar.

Posted : 12/10/2011 12:19 pm
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Good morning! I hope so. ??? :shock:

You're right, there are fragile egos in this business. I won't say more, you are living the situation first hand.

Speaking of which, I hope your finger improves, and that you can play again soon. I suspect that not playing and holding the band together is not helping the effort, which must see everybody get unified on the same page with the same goals. 8) 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 12/10/2011 12:46 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Txs Blue Jay, finger isn't doing great although the swelling is finally gone done in my hand for the most part, but the finger is still swollen and very painful. I am able to move it a bit but no where near enough to make a chord shape and it would be too painful now if I could. I'm hoping by the weekend I can get close to playing but I don't think I will be.

Trying to hold this together has been a challenge. I'm holding on for awhile and see how it goes but the other guitar player who is a fantastic player and who my instructor calls a pro, has another band and we are kind of second fiddle for him. He'll practice with us if he has time etc. As good as he is and I haven't seen many better it's not really the type of situation I wanted to be in.

This feels more like being a studio musician than part of a band so long term I'm not sure this is the way to go, I'd rather have someone who maybe doesn't have the chops but is more into the band as a team and working/practicing together. Part of the fun for me is practices if you can beleive that.

We'll see what happens.

Posted : 12/10/2011 1:16 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Makes absolute sense to keep an eye out for a new guitarist.

Sorry to hear tht the digit is still an issue. Hope it gets better really quickly. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 12/10/2011 1:30 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The finger ws really sprained/dislocated. I've jammed a few lately but this is by far the worst ever, oh well.

But this is the first time I remember that I have like 5 new songs to learn and I can't even attempt any of them and it's driving me nuts, didn't realize how much it would bother me not to play.

There really is no rush to learn the songs I know I have time but that's one of the things I enjoy the most is learning a new song.

All of them are on the list of songs we are supposed to do with the band except Plush by STP that's one I was going to do with some guys at the open mic.

Now I know what Vic must have felt like not being able to play hopefully I won't be sidelined that long.

Posted : 12/10/2011 1:51 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

So you need a guitar player and a bass player ...... RATS! :lol: Yeah, sounds like you dislocated that finger but keep doing what you are doing to nurse it back to health. If you did dislocate it it might ache for a while and become your own little weather station if you know what I mean. :roll:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 13/10/2011 5:21 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well TR get TF and get on down here, I'm sure we can find plenty of stuff we all like, that wouldn't be a problem.

As for the finger it was definitely partially dislocated when it happened it was kind of going a little side ways and when I tried to bend it wouldn't. I felt the end and you could tel it wasn't sitting inthe socket quite right but I was able to put it back myself as it wasn't a total dislocation. The last joint on that finger was totally dislocated several years ago playing basketball and that time I had to have someone put it in for me. That wasn't fun, the first time he yanked onthe joint it didn't move and the pain was like out of this world. The second time it popped back in.

I don't rememebr much how painful it was after that but I know I went back to playing hoop fairly quickly. There is still alot of pain one week later and I can't put any pressure onthe tip of the pinky.

I was able to almost make a chord shape last night but it's still ways away.

Man this sux.

Posted : 13/10/2011 11:22 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Update:

Went to the doctor yesterday cuz I am really getting impatient with the finger. Had some Xrays taken and I'm waiting for the doctor to call me back but unless I'm blind it looks like my finger is broken which sux big time.

If it was just jammed I was going to try and accelerate the rehab to try and play but now that it is most likely broken I will probably get a splint put on and I won't be playing at least for the next 4 weeks.

Confirmed I do have a fracture of the distal phalanges which is the tip of my finger. Guess I'm not going to be a doctor soon cuz it looked like the proximal one had the break.

According to the doctor it's not that bad and he told me to buy a splint at CVS and keep it on for a week to ten days.

Posted : 18/10/2011 11:40 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hate to hear about the phalanges, cnev. That's a constant fear of mine as my two hobbies are music and martial arts. Hope they heal quick!

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 18/10/2011 3:55 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

jw - Txs gotta watch out with the martial arts that you don't do the same but if you do it long enough it will probably happen :shock:

I'm not sure what I will do when this heals I love to play hoop and have been doing it all my life so stopping now is going to be next to impossible. I play cuz I love the game and it's a great aerobic exeercise I wouldn't get any other way.

Posted : 18/10/2011 4:16 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Ok I should have been a doctor it was a fracture of the proximal phalanx I called the doctor and he confirmed it said the report was vague and that he hadn't seen the xrays himself...great.

So now he says the tip is no big deal but this is and tells me to go see an orthopedic guy ASAP. I have an appt. in the morning.

He says these are notoriously hard to set and may need pins put in...more great news...looks like I'll be looking for a new band it'll be several weeks now before there will be any chance of me playing again. :(

Posted : 20/10/2011 3:06 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Medical Update:

Just got back from the doctor and I did not get good news. I will be having surgery next Wednesday and he warned me I will never have full motion in that finger. He is going to try and use just a couple of screws as he tries not to use plates if possible but I have an oblique break and the bones are at an odd angle plus he said since by the time he operates it will have been almost 3 weeks from the injury there is going to be alot of scar tissue etc.

I just want to scream, rehab is about 3 months which blows the rest of the year.

The band is either going to break up or dump me which is Ok I wouldn't blame them I just hope I'll be able to use th epinky again otherwise I'll be selling some gear.

Posted : 21/10/2011 1:21 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I'm so sorry to hear that Chris! Lets look at the glass half full though. It is your pinky. I think you will easily overcome any range of motion issues. Obviously I'm thinking long term for you here. The next few months are gonna suck but you will play just fine when it is healed. I'll be thinking about you on Wednesday.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 21/10/2011 4:30 pm
Page 4 / 13