News Release from Carvin -- RIP Lowell Kiesel

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member
Topic starter

Lowell Kiesel: 1915 - 2009

It is with great sadness that Carvin announces the passing of it's founder, Lowell C. Kiesel. Mr. Kiesel was born in Nebraska in 1915, and as a young man, spent time in Wichita, Kansas, where he developed an interest in musical instruments; specifically, Hawaiian steel guitars, resonators and the electronic aspects of these instruments.

He founded the L. C. Kiesel Company in 1946, and began winding pickups on an old sewing machine owned by his wife, Agnes. The company was located in Los Angeles, briefly relocated back to Mr. Kiesel's home state of Nebraska, and then moved back to southern California in 1949, where the name was changed to Carvin, after his two eldest sons, Carson and Gavin. In the following years, the company expanded from pickups to guitars and basses, amplifiers, pro audio equipment and other musical accessories.

Mr. Kiesel's leadership, technical expertise and innovative engineering concepts led the company for decades, and even after handing the reins of the company over to his sons, he maintained an office in Carvin's San Diego headquarters and remained active in company operations.

He will be greatly missed and fondly remembered by the Kiesel family and the entire staff of Carvin.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

Posted : 29/12/2009 1:08 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hmmm... another sad loss, as time marches on? It is a very interesting company today, no dealers right? Just direct sales and instruments made to order. I'm not sure how they do their amps though or where, I have only glanced at their catalogues. A friend of mine has collected a few, and has a real fetish for them. He keeps one in his NY office to practice, and used to slide it on down to the Iridium Monday nights, to play with Lester of course, also gone this year.

They made some mighty fine, and pretty posh instruments, and were always friendly and down-to-Earth, I was told.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 29/12/2009 1:27 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

R.I.P.

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 29/12/2009 2:02 am