Clear all

NYC Jams - cheap!

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I've posted this before, but since they've recently renovated a lot of the rooms, I thought I would repost. If you live in the NYC area, this recording studio and rehearsal place has open jams almost every Saturday night.

In addition, they have Performance Nights where bands form and practice for 4-6 weeks. After that, you get 15 minutes of fame performing on stage in a bar in New York. It's pretty cool, and reasonably priced.

http://www.thestudio.org/

Laz

Posted : 11/01/2006 1:17 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

*bump*

Posted : 08/05/2006 4:38 pm
(@sergioremon)
Eminent Member

I've seen these guys. Membership is 400 to start and 125 a year plus you still have to pay $20 for their saturday night jams. hardly cheap. They do have decent spaces.

Posted : 25/05/2006 5:43 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I've seen these guys. Membership is 400 to start and 125 a year plus you still have to pay $20 for their saturday night jams. hardly cheap. They do have decent spaces.

Umm, I just double-checked. Normally $250/yr, often discounted to $150/yr.

And you can check it out for the Saturday fee 2 or 3 times without paying for the full year.

Posted : 25/05/2006 8:54 pm
(@sergioremon)
Eminent Member

And you can check it out for the Saturday fee 2 or 3 times without paying for the full year.

You are absolutely right. My mistake. I just checked their pricing a second ago(before reading this actually). And they are indeed normally 250 but currently are discounted at 150. (although you still have to pay 20 to jam even if you are a member) Which still seems a bit pricey to me. I am considering checking it out. Have you heard any good stuff about them?

thnx

Posted : 25/05/2006 9:27 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

You are absolutely right. My mistake. I just checked their pricing a second ago(before reading this actually). And they are indeed normally 250 but currently are discounted at 150. (although you still have to pay 20 to jam even if you are a member) Which still seems a bit pricey to me. I am considering checking it out. Have you heard any good stuff about them?

thnx

I have been there twice, once ad lib, and once as part of a GN jam. Both times, they were very nice. The equipment is very good, and ready to go. The open jam was very friendly, and there were about 10 different themed rooms. We'd go back more often, but it's over an hour away...

Check it out once, and let us know if you like it.

Laz

Posted : 26/05/2006 4:18 pm
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sounds interesting, any plans for an upcoming GN jam in NYC?

Posted : 19/06/2007 12:08 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

When we did the GN night, they gave us 2 rooms for $200 on a Friday. We ended up with about 8 players, mostly the Usual Suspects. However, that was 2+ years ago, and the GN membership has grown.

I think that a GN Jam/Seminar could happen again, but you'd want to get some confirmed attendance. I recommend that someone "host" the gathering. You can reserve rooms on Fridays, or just show up on Saturdays.

We'd love to do it again, but someone else should host.

Posted : 19/06/2007 2:57 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'd do it again.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 25/06/2007 11:56 pm
(@davidhodge)

I'd be more than happy to host, as long as it's September or later... :wink:

Dan, PM me the contact info again and I'll start checking on dates. Thanks.

Peace

Posted : 26/06/2007 2:42 am
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I had fun at the last one and would like to participate again. Not sure how many members read this particular forum but if advertised elsewhere on GN (front page?), we should be able to get a good response. Hopefully my business travel will line up so that I'm in town to attend.
I better start practising... :wink:

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

Posted : 26/06/2007 5:31 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member
Topic starter

I'd be more than happy to host, as long as it's September or later... :wink:

Dan, PM me the contact info again and I'll start checking on dates. Thanks.

Peace

David;

No special contact - in fact the woman who did the interview is no longer there.

Just go to their website: http://www.thestudio.org/

There is a GN article from our trip there: https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=392

Posted : 26/06/2007 6:39 pm
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

I am close enough to NYC that I'd definitely consider one of these, but it does depend on when. I'm currently without a car *and* not quite skilled enough to think about jamming :), but certainly might have crossed one or both of those hurdles by the time any jam were to happen.

But if you're generally just trying to gauge interest, I figured I should speak up.

-- Voidious

Posted : 26/06/2007 7:14 pm
(@davidhodge)

...I'm currently without a car *and* not quite skilled enough to think about jamming...

Can't help you with the car, but the place is walking distance from Grand Central (which is how I'll be getting there) and if you can breathe, you're skilled enough. Seriously, if you can manage playing E, Em, A, Am, G, C, D and the occasional 7th chord and feel comfortable enough changing between chords, you'll do fine. We try to cater to all levels when we do something like this.

Peace

Posted : 26/06/2007 7:46 pm
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

Cool! I guess I have no excuse now. =) I've taken the train to Grand Central before. My chord changes ain't exactly polished, but I do know all those chords and I work on changes regularly, so hopefully by the time it happens I'll feel OK about it all.

-- Voidious

Posted : 28/06/2007 2:39 pm
Page 1 / 2