Clear all

Advertisement Banner?

36 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@bford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Ok so is this a new thing that I am just now noticing or has this been going on for a while? The add banner being located below the first post of a thread? Its somewhat annoying , but hey, thats just me. :evil:

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Posted : 08/01/2006 11:46 pm
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i feel you bfoerd, that has gotta go :?

even god loves rock-n-roll

Posted : 08/01/2006 11:48 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Yep, it's a new thing. I've noticed it for a couple of days. Very annoying. But, being a guest here I just live with it. :)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 09/01/2006 12:17 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I just noticed it today. Not as annoying as the ones that used to take up 1/4 of the right side of the page though. Those were bad! :evil: These I can live with. Just scroll past it, no big deal. Paul's gotta pay the bills ya know! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:23 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I don't see it...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:25 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

It's a new thing I'm trying out. If it helps bring in a little money it not only keeps the site online, but can actually go towards making improvements. Currently users with more than 2000 posts won't see the ads.

There's been an idea kicking around for a while, that we could have a different level of subscriber. For $1 or $2 a month you would get the forums ad free. That way, with or without ads, money could be generated to maintain this site. I may start this as a pilot project in the near future.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:27 am
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

Noticed the ad banner, but it didn't cause me to loose any sleep.
Another 660 posts and I won't have to see it anyway.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:37 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Noticed the ad banner, but it didn't cause me to loose any sleep.

Um, I think you need to check your math billybenbob.
Currently users with more than 2000 posts won't see the ads.

You're at 339 now, would need 1661 more posts to get to 2000. :shock: Better get posting! :lol: :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:47 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

That threshold could always change. I've been testing it for less than 24 hours so it's a bit early to gauge the results.

If this doesn't make money I am sure I can find other ways to annoy and irritate everyone.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:48 am
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

Oops!
Gosh darn it, math is my strong suit too.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:49 am
(@steves)
Estimable Member

Sound like an easy, mostly unobtrusive, way to generate money. I've run into this on other forums and it doesn't bother me in the least. Also, as I've said before, I'd be happy to pay a couple of bucks a month to help keep the lights on.

Steve

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:54 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

If this doesn't make money I am sure I can find other ways to annoy and irritate everyone.

Hey now! :shock: I'm clicking the ads already! I've even got a couple of them promising to show me hiden guitar secrets that will drastically improve my playing in record time and turn me into a "Guitar God"! :shock: :shock: (Seriously, that's what one of them said! :lol: ) Watch out! :wink:

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:57 am
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

It's a rocky road, running a site as popular as this one. On the one hand, you want to keep it as smooth and friendly as possible for all of your members and visitors...but on the other hand, hosting and bandwidth are definitely not free, and you have to do something to pay the bills aside from relying on donations. Advertising is the single biggest revenue generator for a web site unless you're actually selling something to turn a profit.

I throw a $20 bill at Paul a few times a year via Paypal as a site donation, because I can't think of any better way for me to support the site than to directly offer some money. I know not everyone can do this, but if you have a couple extra bucks to spare, it's something to keep in mind. Every single dollar helps a site of this magnitude...and besides, isn't the sheer awesome factor of Guitar Noise worth the price of a set of good strings? It certainly is to me. :)

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:26 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

:oops:
Honestly, if you have any $20 bills to throw around at the moment, I'd be happier if you made contributions to Kashmir earthquake relief. There are a lot people in serious need of help.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:35 am
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

:oops:
Honestly, if you have any $20 bills to throw around at the moment, I'd be happier if you made contributions to Kashmir earthquake relief. There are a lot people in serious need of help.

Got that covered too, Paul...my wife and I are huge proponents of the various relief efforts around the globe, and give what we can when we can. When the choice is between grabbing that new Coldplay CD or feeding a family that's lost everything, the right choice is pretty clear in our eyes. :)

GN is still occasionally worth a set of strings though. :P

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:44 am
Page 1 / 3