Notifications
Clear all

Advertisement Banner?

36 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

You live in San Diego so you've probably already got everything. That's one of my favourite cities in the world.

The small donations we get are appreciated. I just have to admit receiving them makes me uncomfortable, especially after this past year.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:59 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ok so is this a new thing that I am just now noticing or has this been going on for a while? The add banner being located below the first post of a thread? Its somewhat annoying , but hey, thats just me. :evil:

It's not on the orginal guitarnoise theme/skin (the one I use.)

Posted : 09/01/2006 3:10 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

The guitarnoise theme already has an abundance of ads so it has been spared this time.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/01/2006 3:28 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

That threshold could always change. I've been testing it for less than 24 hours so it's a bit early to gauge the results.

If you lower the threshold down by 1000 posts, It would still only exclude 33 people (.0031 of the community.) Would the ads really make less money if you lowered it from 2000 to 1000? Not that it affects me, I'm just curious/bored. I say exclude the top 500 people and see what happens. :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Posted : 09/01/2006 3:53 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I just noticed it today. Not as annoying as the ones that used to take up 1/4 of the right side of the page though. Those were bad! :evil: These I can live with. Just scroll past it, no big deal. Paul's gotta pay the bills ya know! :wink:

Good point dntalb. Nothing is free....wait...GN is free 8) ...I guess we can live with the adds :lol: :lol:--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 09/01/2006 4:34 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Smart thinking, nez.

I diidn't even look at the memberlist. I was going by the rankings instead. I'll have to give it some more thought. It would be nice to create a classless society.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 09/01/2006 5:36 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Currently users with more than 2000 posts won't see the ads.Just checking how far I've got to go. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 09/01/2006 12:46 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Oh boy, I'm thinking growing a beard, losing the rest of my hair and using two less belt notches. Then I should be over the limit. I've got an awful long way to go. Hmmm, maybe I could borrow some of Rahul's posts. He's got more than he needs. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:02 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Oh boy, I'm thinking growing a beard, losing the rest of my hair and using two less belt notches. Then I should be over the limit. I've got an awful long way to go. Hmmm, maybe I could borrow some of Rahul's posts. He's got more than he needs. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
don't worry if you keep your rate up the way it is now you'll be there in no time :wink:

i'm ok with the occasional banner ad, it's the pop-ups that i really hate :twisted:

#4491....

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:20 pm
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Oh boy, I'm thinking growing a beard, losing the rest of my hair and using two less belt notches. Then I should be over the limit. I've got an awful long way to go. Hmmm, maybe I could borrow some of Rahul's posts. He's got more than he needs. :D

You just need to GASSSSSSSS more.

I agree with Twisty too. I HATE pop ups but I dont mind banner ads so much. I especially hate the little boxes that look like windows informational boxes that slide from the left side of my screen and sit over the top of the content I want to see.

On the other side, I know how you feel about asking for money etc. but I guarantee you that a huge majority here appreciate everything you do for us with this website. I personally need to make an effort to donate now and then. I've gotten my fair share of use here.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:30 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think someone's getting a dose of PCAS*!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Post Count Acquisition Syndrome

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 09/01/2006 2:30 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have been thinking over this one and really feel that GN can make some money.

Charging the forums seems useless enough.If they charge something the list may very well exponentially come down (including me as i don't earn right now...)

BUT , suppose you provide a learning video with the easy and intermediate song lesson for 1$ each...just a suggestion.

Or atleast the people who can pay may just make 1$ donation each month.I don't really think it will bring the finances too much down either.

Finally its not me who has to suggest as i know in reality its not all that simple going.
Me don't really mind have that banner ad...and if i tell you that actually i like the way it tightly fits in the first and the second post..don't think i am being a nut :lol:

Rahul (and no i am not giving my posts to anyone ...I HAVE EARNED THEM :twisted:)

Posted : 09/01/2006 3:16 pm
(@bford)
Reputable Member
Topic starter

Hey GN have you given much thought to a members only area that requires a yearly subscription? With all the premium material in this site I'm sure you could filter out half to pay and the other half to guest. And you might be able to quit your day job when your done :lol:

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

Posted : 09/01/2006 6:36 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Thanks TwistedLefty. That made my day. :? :D

Greybeard you and Geoo are cracking me up....Thanks!!!! Geoo. I have too much GAS now. My credit card is about Gassed out and I'm still looking for my perfect Strat. :D

Rahul....thanks for nothing. :wink: :wink:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 09/01/2006 8:57 pm
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

I think I should clarify something. The 2000 post threshold is a temporary thing while I test the effectiveness of the new ads. It is something that is sure to change. Let's not dilute the quality of these forums by starting lots of trivial posts or replying to everything in an effort to boost your count. I'm not planning any major changes to the forums so there is no need for panic.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 10/01/2006 11:39 am
Page 2 / 3