17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Welp, I'm going to do it.

I've been asked by the pastor of a church I've attended to assist this weekend with their service. Specifically fill in for the absent lead guitarist. :shock: Hmm reflecting.....he's the same lead guitarist who's on my 1985 video that's posted here. hehe.

From the left, the band consists of an Electrical Accoustic Guitar (Takamine??) Never seen one up close before. It sounded great and mic'd thru a Fender. To his right is me. Behind us is the keyboardist with an 88 key Roland something electric. :oops: :D

To the right of me is the Pastor, who's the lead singer. To his right are the 2 backup vocalists, one male one female. To their right and way off center is the drums. They are very loud and is why they are more apart than the rest of us. Behind the singers and left of drums but right of keys is the bassist. He's using a Dean 4 string. I'll be using my LP Studio. :wink:

I've had the CD and (legitimate :lol: ) copy of the sheet music since Wednesday and don't feel totally in the dark.

We had a rehearsal Thursday night and it wasn't bad. When I got lost I just stopped playing so nothing out of place was showing it's ugly head. This is really challenging for a couple of reasons.

First, I've never heard most of the songs so I'm not familiar with them. Second, I'm learning chords I hadn't read yet. Third, I'm playing an instrument that I'm not that familiar or comfortable with yet. . . let alone the amp I just got. :shock: :shock: Last but not least, I'll be in front of GOD and the congregation of people I don't know.

When I would gig with the drums, I had everything together and knew exactly what I needed to bring. This guitar thing is totally new to me and I had to actually make a list, check it twice, didn't care was who naughty or nice. I wasn't even coming to town. :wink:

I spent the better part of last night working on getting familiar with the songs. I'll do the same today and tonight and then.....

Tomorrow morning it's a different type of baptism by fire, to say the least.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 07/01/2006 6:20 pm
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

You got it.

Guess it is not appropriate to say "give em hell" for a church performance is it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

Posted : 07/01/2006 6:47 pm
(@davidhodge)

How about "The Lord be with you?"

Best of luck, Bish. I'm sure you'll not only do fine but probably get asked back.

And don't forget I need your band's dates for the rest of this month by Wednesday if you can get them to me (or simply post them here).

Peace

Posted : 07/01/2006 8:39 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

How about "The Lord be with you?"

I'm praying for ya Bish. You'll do fine. Just remember, God hears you play everyday! :wink:

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 07/01/2006 10:15 pm
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

if you weren't ready you wouldn't do it.
you will do just fine.
play it kewl baby :wink:

#4491....

Posted : 07/01/2006 10:28 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thanks, everyone. Still dilligently practicing what I can.... 8)

Bish

Posted : 08/01/2006 2:07 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

That's pretty cool. A few years ago my nephew Tod was learning to play and he got in to a church "worship service " band and it really helped his playing on many levels :D :D Do they record the music at your church :?:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 08/01/2006 11:26 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Good evening.

Well I went. I played. I was asked to come back next week. I came home.

SDog, they do not record that I know of. However, :twisted: have camcorder :twisted: will travel. While traveling, :twisted: will record. Did I record the event? Yes, I did. :wink: Have I watched it yet? NO!

All I can say is I hope I was as quiet in the mix as I was on stage. :oops:

Some moments of truth let me see that my deoderant wasn't doing such a good job. :roll: I muffed some parts but mostly the leads that I was trying to SHOCK learn in one night. I'm glad I remembered what songs they went in at least. :lol:

I had fun but know I can do better with some practice. I'm not proud of my performance from what my fingers where up to. I tried to lay real back on parts I wasn't sure of. If anything was worth replay I'll post a link to anything of interest.

Thanks for the posts, guys!!! 8)

Bish

Posted : 09/01/2006 12:16 am
(@billybenbob)
Trusted Member

Sorry that I didn't notice this thread earlier.

The main thing to remember in a church band is that we are to "Make a Joyful Noise Unto The Lord".

I used to think that God wouldn't let me make a fool of myself leading the congregation. Wrong! Apparently He's got quite a sense of humour.

I wanted to learn to play guitar really badly and I think that I have succeeded.

Posted : 09/01/2006 1:46 am
(@xkmangwingx)
Eminent Member

Some moments of truth let me see that my deoderant wasn't doing such a good job. :roll:
I always have the same problem when playing at Church... how odd. The main thing to remember when playing in a Church band is that its about worship. As long as you remember that, you do well. Also, when you play, don't be serious. What really bugs me is that our worship band never smiles, except for the leader singer.

Posted : 08/02/2006 3:50 am
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

As an update, I've been going every week and definitely can feel more confident and not so timid.

Tonight I spent almost 4 hours going over the songs for Sunday. We have rehearsal Thursday and I'm ready. Best prepared week yet.

I gotta say that the best part of this is learning and getting turned on to so many great new songs that I hadn't heard. And to be playing them on guitar for me is such a treat. I have a song now that has really caught my interest. I don't know if anyone has heard of it but it's called, "Save Us" by Dave Lubben. (At least that's the name on my sheet music) What an awesome song. WOWWEE.

This has been the best musical experience I can relate to. I love it.

I'm still playing drums in my rock band and when I play Saturday nights, it sure makes it difficult to get up and go to church on Sunday. I get home about 2 AM Sunday morning, get to sleep about 4. Have to wake up around 7 to be at church by 8 for rehearsal for the 10 AM service of which I usually get back home around noon. Just in time for football or NASCAR. :twisted:

Bish

Posted : 08/02/2006 4:01 am
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Bish

Sorry to take so long to get to this. Sounds like you are doing very well.

I think the best advice is:

LESS IS MORE

The biggest problem with many lead guitar players is they play too much. You don't have to play a million notes all the time.

No, play as few notes as possible. Make 'em beg for more! :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

Posted : 10/02/2006 10:47 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member
Topic starter

NP there, Wes. I will not consider myself a lead guitarist just yet.

I am however experimenting with chord locations.

Our accoustic guitarist is very good and knows way more than I'll know for quite some time. He usually starts almost every song that starts with guitar which is way ok with me.

What I've been working on is playing alternate chords to the written music and what the accoustic is playing. For example, if he is playing open chords like 98% of the songs require, I'll be subtly in the background playing barre chords or something other than what he is playing but still playing the same chords. I'll have a little more of an "electric" sound to offset the accoustic and it blends pretty well.

I've only had to solo once and I could feel myself flushing inside as the time grew nearer for me to play it. I did pull it off but man talk about tensing up. I was more scared than ever. Crazy!

I'm a firm believer in the KISS principle. I have to beat that into the bassists head in my RnR band. He doesn't understand breaks or pauses at all. ( A drummers worst nightmare.) I'm running out of sticks to throw at him to remind him of his torrid ways. :roll:

So have no fear about me adding too much to a song. I'm too skeered. :D

P.S. As a side note, I like to pride myself in being able to play as close to the original as possible. I will learn a lead as close to right as I can. I wouldn't know what notes to add if I was going to expand on anything so that bit of ad-libbing will be down the road a ways.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am heeding them! :wink:

Bish

Posted : 11/02/2006 3:11 am
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I say this lalte also. It seems that we're playing about the same time. So it's good to know we'll be rocking out simultaneously. Best thing I can say is Good Luck and Amen! Hope it's a good show

Posted : 11/02/2006 3:38 am
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

Another word, pics please! I'll be sure to take pics of my gig also.

Posted : 11/02/2006 3:38 am
Page 1 / 2