Off-topic but I want to share with you

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Perhaps you read in one of my previous post that I bought a bicycle some months ago. From then on I started a blog where I write a brief note about the rides, routes, etc. thus I keep in touch with my friends (they write also blogs with his/her hobbies, activities or thoughts). I also take a photo every ride with my mobile phone or my digital camera, I upload it to Flickr and add a link from the blog. The photo can show a landscape, a bridge, a traffic signal... I only have a constraint: I have to take the photo from the bike.

On the other hand, when I upload any kind of stuff to the internet I always use a free (as in freedom...) or open license, usually GPL for software, Creative Commons for other stuff. I publish the photos on Flickr under a Creative Commons license.

A couple of weeks ago I received a message from another Flickr user. A publisher that creates travel guides for cities asked if they could use one of my photos in the Madrid guide.

I consider these things really pretty because it is hobby for me, it is a game between some friends, and as a result one of my photos is published in an international travel guide! Amazing! ROFLMAO!

I love the free, open licenses. I have learnt a lot thank them and I always get a reward (like in this case) when I use them. GuitarNoise could also be one a good example: you always get much more than you really put.

Note: It is not an advert so feel "free" to click this link to watch the photo on the travel guide.

Posted : 05/03/2010 9:55 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Nice one, Nuno. It's a good feeling to have something published.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 05/03/2010 11:01 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice Nuno. I would never go the free route with my works. too many times I have been asked to volunteer my artwork or artistic creativity. when I was a young puppy artist I did to lengthen the small resume and respond to the flattery.
now, no way. I need the money. I have spent a lifetime becoming a visual artist. I ain't free no more.
( my music on the soundclick site IS free. that is because I don't think it's THAT good to have someone pay for it. someday however).
Javi, I'd like to see your photos since I haven't been to Spain.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 05/03/2010 11:38 am
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Very nice photos, I can't describe how beautiful they are, the River and the Leaves, or Casa de Campo, definitely credited to you, and I enjoyed 26 others, and also the 23 photo Bicilog.

Perhaps you can get some work or remuneration from this "eye" of yours in the future. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Posted : 05/03/2010 12:31 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Greybeard, I agree I have other publications but this time is different, that is the typical situation that draws a smile in your face. Really I was uploading the photos just for fun. And certainly I'm getting a lot of fun!

Blue Jay, thanks for your kind words and also for watching the photos. Photography is a nice activity. I took many photos with my old SLR camera. Now it is cheaper. I can save some money for getting more guitars!

Dogbite, my friend, but you are an artist! To me it is similar to the music: I enjoy with music and also with photography. Do you remember our hit "Color of the blues"? Perhaps somebody would pay for the song but it was much more rewarding for me work and learn with you and get the #1 on Soundclick. It is like the Mastercard advertising: priceless!

However, I agree and I follow the same reasoning in my professional scope. For example, when some students come to my office requesting for some help with a personal project or a talk in a student activity I never ask for money but it is different if the request comes from a company.

The photos.

Thanks for watching!

Posted : 05/03/2010 1:49 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Nuno, excellent photos but I wouldn't have expected anything less....but where are the photos of you?

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 05/03/2010 2:53 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

That is awsome Nuno! And ..... definitely keep taking pictures on your bicycle rides.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 05/03/2010 3:33 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Those pix had to be High Def. Crystal clear. Beautiful work, Nuno! :D

Thanks very much for posting this.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 06/03/2010 3:39 am
(@paulhackett)
Prominent Member Admin

Those are some really nice photos. I used to be really big into cycling and I know how much fun it is. Sharing the photos probably makes it even more fun.

I have a friend who's starting up a website/blog on cycling. I'm going share your story with him, I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it too.

Guitar Noises Newsletter

Posted : 06/03/2010 5:38 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

thanks Nuno for the biking pictures. it appears you have covered all weather ; from beautiful blues skies to the rain soaked sidewalks. very nice.
this summer when i begin my sailing lessons I have planned to photograph everything.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 06/03/2010 12:50 pm
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Thank you very much guys, I appreciate your comments! :D

We have a very rainy winter (newspapers say the rainiest in thirty years) and we also had seven snowfalls! It can be very common for some of you but here it is very weird!

I will not ride again until May, now I need all my time and energy to train for the marathon. I guess the blues skies will get back with the leaves in the trees... we already need the sun!

Paul, that is great! Please, if it is possible, I like to see that blog/website. I follow several blogs on cycling, usually they are very interesting.

Chris, I'll try some self portraits next time!

Dogbite, sailing is very fun as well, I think I told you I used to sail away, but be careful of the camera!

Bish and TR, thanks!

Posted : 06/03/2010 2:00 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I used to be an avid cyclist myself. Great fun!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 08/03/2010 1:41 am
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Those are great Nuno!!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

Posted : 12/03/2010 7:00 am