Notifications
Clear all

Please welcome our newest moderator Vic Lewis

61 Posts
34 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Crap. I even did a free IQ test online and I doubled my hiscore from 6 to 12. Guess they were just being kind. :(

Posted : 08/08/2008 10:47 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well that's four out of five between you.....

Interesting, though, that it took a Dutchman (is that PC? What DO you call a native of the Netherlands?) to start the ball rolling when English is the Lingua Franca of most of the people here...........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 08/08/2008 11:09 am
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Well that's four out of five between you.....

Interesting, though, that it took a Dutchman (is that PC? What DO you call a native of the Netherlands?) to start the ball rolling when English is the Lingua Franca of most of the people here...........

Vic

You didn't capitalize your name, which you normally do. Also, "grammar and spelling and correctly place apostrophe's" really should be "grammar, spelling and correctly placed apostrophes."

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 08/08/2008 11:55 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Vic
I think that it's still Dutch. The term has its history as far back as the 13th century and was of German origin, I believe.

Netherlands is simply a translation of the Dutch for "low countries" - Nederlande (in German, Niederlande)

Question is, if I make reference to the general geographical area, am I referring to the nether regions?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 08/08/2008 2:14 pm
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I go off on vacation for a few days, and the whole place falls apart! :shock:

Just kidding Vic! :wink: :lol: It's about time! :D Congrats bud! 8)

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 08/08/2008 5:21 pm
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

You didn't capitalize your name, which you normally do. Also, "grammar and spelling and correctly place apostrophe's" really should be "grammar, spelling and correctly placed apostrophes."

Good call. :D

Some sticklers don't care for ending sentences with lines of dots either. I was asleep the day we did grammar, so I'm not sure why.................

Posted : 09/08/2008 12:22 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

we speak ah-mur-cun over here

Posted : 09/08/2008 12:42 am
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

we speak ah-mur-cun over here
The Germans call it Chewing Gum English

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 09/08/2008 7:01 am
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I heard a piece on NPR not so long ago about linguists hunting for undiscovered dialects in the US southeast. They found a group of people who had been largely isolated from the rest of the USA and believe it or not their accents sounded English.

Posted : 09/08/2008 1:24 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

That would be the few of us gringos left here in Miami.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 09/08/2008 4:14 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

There are a lot of different English accents. Some I can understand easily, some I can't. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 09/08/2008 6:23 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Guess 'accenture' got its name from here.

Posted : 09/08/2008 6:44 pm
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I heard a piece on NPR not so long ago about linguists hunting for undiscovered dialects in the US southeast. They found a group of people who had been largely isolated from the rest of the USA and believe it or not their accents sounded English.

I've heard several times that southern accents (like mine) are the closest to the Queen's English in America.

Bass player for Undercover

Posted : 09/08/2008 7:01 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've heard several times that southern accents (like mine) are the closest to the Queen's English in America.

I actually had someone ask me if I was British after they heard my southern drawl! :lol: Go figure!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 09/08/2008 8:22 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hey Vic,

Can I add my congratulations too. Well done on becoming a moderator.

I haven't been around much on guitarnoise for quite a while as my computer is out of commision at home at the moment. "Number one son" moved back in after getting his degree last month and I had to dismantle the desktop to make room on the landing for his wardrobe. (How come students have so much stuff these days?). So I'm saving up for a laptop.

I shouldn't really be typing this out in works time on my work computer but got to add my congrats mate.

One thing I have found is I practice guitar from memory more without the aid of a PC to look up tabs and mp3's. But I really miss guitarnoise and it's community spirit.

A good bit of news is that Rodders has built a studio in his garage and I got a text from him the other day saying it was finished and to come over. So I'll have to find a spare couple of hours this week to go over and see him.

Anyway, must go the boss is due in and I should be working.

All the best to you Vic and to the others at guitarnoise, I'm still about and I look in for a quick read in my lunch hours now and again to keep in touch.

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 11/08/2008 6:30 am
Page 4 / 5