Clear all

very stressful gig!!! AUG 2nd 2008

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

well, our band went to a gig as we usually do on saterday but had a shock when we got there. we usually play village pubs etc with average crowds of 20 but we turned up at a pub in the center of Darwen and were shocked to find it crammed with well over 100 people when we got there - all sweaty, drunk, and angry as they had to cue 4 deep at the bar!
the landlady said that she didnt want us on until 10:30 and then a second set at 12 o clock (because it gets even busier then!!) and we soon realised we had booked out of our league - it was more a nightclub than a pub!!
so there we were at half past 7 sat down pooing our pants as this busy pub got even busier with drunks and i wanted to go home to mummy but i had 3 hours of more pant pooing to go before we started :D
Anyway - i was totally amazed - our cheesy cover party band actually went down a storm and the crowd sang along with us at every opportunity - iwould have settled with getting out alive!!
The 12 oclock set was RUBY, SWEET HOME ALABAMA, A LITTLE RESPECT, STUCK IN THE MIDDLE, JOHNNY B GOODE, A 60'S MEDLY, PLAY THAT FUNKY MUSIC, VALERIE, and then to finish on a quiet note LET IT BE and ROMEO AND JULIET.

the manageress at the end said it was great fun and wanted to book us back within the next couple of months (although i dont know if my nerves can stand it).
i have photos of the crowd but i dont know how to include them in a message - if you let me know i will put one on.

the whole experience taught me that it doesnt matter that i am not an advanced guitar player (although i will always try to improve). what is important is that we try to play good songs tightly - and it is great fun!

p.s how can i put a photo of the crowd on?

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 05/08/2008 6:12 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like y'all came through like champs in a tough situation! You've got what it takes.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 05/08/2008 6:16 pm
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

the manageress at the end said it was great fun and wanted to book us back within the next couple of months

Proof's in the pudding, so to speak. Congrats!

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:10 pm
(@davidhodge)

But you neglected the most important question: Did you have fun?

Sounds like it was a terrific show! Looking forward to reports of a lot more!

By the bye, to post a photo, you first have to upload it to an Internet site like Photobucket or Flick'r (both of which are free). Then you can post the image using the "Img" button located at the top of where you write your replies.

Hope this helps. The fact that I'm even giving this advice is proof that anyone can learn how to do this!

Peace

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:18 pm
(@almann1979)
Noble Member
Topic starter

hope this works. we didnt take many. the dance floor also goes on to the left of the picture.

and david - did i have fun? strangely no, i was petrified. however, when we finished, i felt great :D

"I like to play that guitar. I have to stare at it while I'm playing it because I'm not very good at playing it."
Noel Gallagher (who took the words right out of my mouth)

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:31 pm
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I could understand what you must have felt walking into something you weren't prepared for, but the good part is everyone enjoyed it so you've made a quantum leap in your playing experience. Way to go.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 05/08/2008 7:54 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Way to go on the gig. I would have had the same set of feelings. Hopefully the next one will be more fun.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 06/08/2008 12:05 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Well, it looks like a lot of fun was had.

Posted : 06/08/2008 12:56 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Way to go dude..You get the official GN seal of approval..Here ya go>>>

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 06/08/2008 1:22 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Does he get TP with that?

Posted : 06/08/2008 1:28 am
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN....... yeah ... YEAH! Sounds like you did good Almann! You are an inspiration. 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 06/08/2008 7:49 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you guys are pros now. great story and outcome. when they sing along...oh man, that's great.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 06/08/2008 10:57 am