Clear all

Prince's New CD

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I got it today - and it didn't cost me a penny. Came through the door; paperboy pushed it through, free with my daily newspaper.

Got to admit, I haven't listened to it yet - but how cool is that, giving your latest album away for NOTHING? I know the Purple one had serious issues with Sony - but kudos to him for releasing his music to the great unwashed masses for sod all.

AND - it's on his own label. The record company is listed as NPG - guessing that's a reference to the "New Power Generation?"

I've had free CDs before - LOTS of free CDs, mostly oldies compilations. Couple of good tracks, and about 15 out of the 20 tracks are fillers that you'd never even dream of buying.. This is a bit different - for a major artist to release his latest songs for free is a bit special, IMO - anyway, I'm going to have a good listen in the AM.

And now - to bed!

Byeee...........

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 11/07/2010 1:06 am
(@blueline)
Noble Member

He's actually not a bad guitarist. Let us know what you think about the new stuff.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 12/07/2010 11:37 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Anyone who can run and jump and slide and twirl while playing in key gets my admiration. I'll never forget the pants he wore at the Grammys that one time. :lol:

We have a few of his albums. 1999 and Purple Rain, of course, and a few downstairs and I don't recall what they are called. He's had his following for quite some time, probably slept with a few future one-hit-wonders and who knows what else happened behind closed doors. I always like his stuff. There's some talent in there. Kind of like David Bowie in a way. They each have a tight following that likes everything they do while the rest of the world pick and choose. I always thought his understated guitarist was a little hottie. Wendy. Yeah, man.

Well, do let us know what you think. Have not thought of any recent Prince music in a long, long time.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 13/07/2010 3:29 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Well, I finally got around to taking a listen this morning. Bear in mind, this is only a first impression based on one listen to each track - but it's all very safe and predictable. Nothing new or groundbreaking here - Act Of God's basically a retread of Sign O' The Times, Future Soul Song is The Most Beautiful Girl part II - you get the idea? There's none of that over-the-top posturing, flat out groovers or shrieking bombast that the Purple one does so well.

It's all very easy on the ear - in fact, easy listening is almost the category I'd place it in. It's not until the very last track - Everybody Loves Me - that the shackles are thrown off, and even there's still a feeling he's holding back.

There's nothing wrong with the album, per se - the production's good, and, apart from a three-man horn section and a couple of female backing singers, Prince plays everything himself. All the instruments are in the right places, though there's not much lead guitar - certainly no memorable solos, though Future Soul Song does feature a nice laid-back solo.

Basically, though, it sounds like a bunch of out-takes from old albums; but then, he's not going to give the really good stuff away for nothing, is he?

I'd give it a generous 6/10 - IMO, Prince is a very talented musician/writer/performer/guitarist - but there's only occasional glimpses of it here. He should have let his ego off the leash instead of holding back!

Vic

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 13/07/2010 11:30 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the review. Almost makes me want to get the paper again. almost.

I always find it hard to write a review only after one listen. I normally listen to it, then go back again in an hour or two for another listen. After that one is when things start jumping out at me.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 13/07/2010 3:59 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

One listen (for me) would make it impossible to review anything. But Vic DOES know his music. There's no doubt about that. I always enjoyed the arstit formally known as Prince/the symbol person/the purple one. Sorry to hear he's held back on the album. I always thought that he really stretched things out and he was capable of breaking new ground in a way that could not be duplicated. He never seemed to get there.

Yes, Wendy. Got to love her! I agree with you Roy. Comparing him to Bowie is pretty spot on in my opinion.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Posted : 13/07/2010 9:38 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I have taken another listen since....first impression still stands. Prince, for me, has always been a creative, passionate musician, able to skip genres with ease and still captivate the listener. One of the key words there was passionate - this is an album, for me, curiously lacking in any deep emotional feel. It really does come across (and I do stress, this is only MY OPINION!) as being a little flat - there's no turbo-charged screaming rocker a la "Let's Go Crazy," there's no real funked-up dance floor filler, it's all a little....tame. There's not a single track that I want to play over and over... although, to be fair, there's nothing there that strikes me as totally lame, either.

In short, it's not an album I can see myself reaching for very often. There are songs I still love of Prince's from twenty-five years (and more!) ago - there's not one song on 2010 I can see myself wanting to play in 12 months time.

Vic

Posted : 13/07/2010 10:09 pm
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Prince?

I tried listening to him but I can never get a hang of his 'music'. :shock:

Posted : 14/07/2010 3:53 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

He's actually not a bad guitarist.
this is a massive understatement. he can tear up hendrix like nobody's business. the purple one was a prodigy on a bunch of instruments and played all the parts (27 instruments) on his first album

Posted : 16/07/2010 12:23 pm
(@blueline)
Noble Member

I agree. Perhaps I should have been a bit more passionate in making that statement. I do beleive that he is a great musician. The guy can play. I just wish I was half as good. Or half as bad. All depends on how you look at it. Right? :lol:

Posted : 17/07/2010 1:36 am
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

I liked Purple Rain, of course I was much younger then, but haven't thought much about him since. I didn't play guitar back then so I guess I didn't notice that he could play. However, I saw this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifp_SVrlurY and realized he is pretty good. Of course the over the top exit is classis Prince.

____
Steve

Posted : 04/08/2010 11:13 pm