Clear all

RIP Freddie Garrity

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member
Topic starter

I was saddened to read in the papers on Sunday that Freddie Garrity had passed away on Friday aged just 69 from emphysema.

To us Brits he was the true fun side of the Manchester/Liverpool beat boom in the early sixties with his group "Freddie And The Dreamers. They had a string of hits such as "You Were Made For Me", "I'm Telling You Now" and "If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody" Freddie was part of the British invasion to the US along with The Beatles, "Gerry And The Pacemakers" and others.

He was always doing madcap dance routines as part of his act and we used to love watching him on "Ready Steady Go" etc. He was another of those acts that our parents loved too. Apparently he was the same off stage, always ready for a laugh. Freddie was a great ballad singer too when he could be serious long enough.

Around 1969 he disbanded the group and went into TV fronting "Little Big Time" a kids primetime programme, he also did cabaret and pantomime shows at Christmas.

He reformed the Dreamers in 1976 and toured the world for next 25 years before being taken ill in 2001.

So thanks Freddie for the great hits and most of all the laughter.

As a sample of Freddie's work look here One seroius song and one fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvkMWdWjkTU&search=Freddie%20And%20The%20Dreamers

songhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DXj3thKJ2g&search=Freddie%20And%20The%20Dreamers

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 22/05/2006 8:15 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

That's a shame. Freddie was a wonderful entertainer, I saw him a few years ago in Blackpool - he used to have a steady gig there in the holiday season. Still the same madcap dance routines, same glasses, same suit....and still a lot of fun to watch!

RIP Freddie.

Vic.

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 22/05/2006 8:43 pm