Notifications
Clear all

Roy Quits Smoking!!!

51 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

Best of luck, Roy! I have never smoked and hoped my kids wouldn't, but my youngest son (21) does. He has tried to quit, even made it for a few months with the gum but it is still too difficult for him. He went through some tough personal issues and started again.

Jim

Posted : 20/03/2008 1:35 pm
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

WTG, Roy!!!

Vic, we need to talk. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

Posted : 20/03/2008 3:20 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

If your willpower fails you, let me know.
I can tell you some horror stories that will make you curse each and every cigarette you ever smoked.
For now I'll just say, it's not one of the easier ways of dying.

I still get the urge but, every year that goes by, the duration of those urges lessens.

Breathing is fundamental,
Ken

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 20/03/2008 8:06 pm
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I hope to someday make the same statement! Though I'm down to about 3 a day, I can't seem to stop completely. I can't say I even enjoy it, but it's an incredible addiction.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 20/03/2008 9:04 pm
(@stringhawk)

I know what you are going through. When we were getting ready to buy our house (in 2003) I promised I would quit before we moved. Less than a week before my deadline I was still smoking. I was becoming frantic. I had made a promise I wanted to keep. I had tried patches and pills. They didn't work. Feel free to thnk what you want, but I woke up days before my deadline craving one bad. I told GOD, "I give up, nothing works, what do I do? I can't do this." I burried my head in the pillows and went back to sleep. I woke up a couple of hours later. I have never had a craving and I have not had a smoke since October 2, 2003. We moved in to our new home on October 5th.

Hang in there man. You can do it!

Posted : 20/03/2008 11:08 pm
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

Feel free to thnk what you want,

I think that's a wonderful testimony.

We had to rebuild our house after Hurricane Andrew.
Although I continued to smoke after that, it was never in the house after that.
Smoking was banned where I worked a few years later.
So I was gradually weaned from "the addiction".

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

Posted : 20/03/2008 11:59 pm
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I was always a weird smoker in one way. I hated the smell of smoke. Have not smoked inside since '92.

I had one tonight from my neighbor. Took four tic-tac and several cups of coffee to get rid of it. Phooooey!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/03/2008 2:14 am
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

If you cant stop on your own I will have come over I'll have to beat it out of you :evil:
But good luck man :D

Posted : 21/03/2008 2:20 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

If you cant stop on your own I will have come over I'll have to beat it out of you :evil:
But good luck man :D

Hey, you be nice to the elderly. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 21/03/2008 2:40 am
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Roy, I assume you are using a cessation product? I used Nicorette Gum. I only needed about half a box (I was insured for three boxes or more). the gum rests in your cheek , like a chaw. it juices out the nicotine drug we crave. one thing I found that helped me to quit was to introduce that smoke sensation in the throat and lungs. it worked for me, but I do not condone such action.
a local herbalist made up some drug free 'tobacco' for me. different kinds of herbs were used. I could roll em and smoke em on rare occasion when I had a cig attack.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

Posted : 21/03/2008 10:49 am
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Way to go Roy, stick with it! It get's easier once you get over the initial shock.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

Posted : 21/03/2008 11:44 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Dogbite, I'm using Chantix. It seems to be working fairly well.

Dan, yeah, I hope so. I think at this point it's the habits I'm trying to unlearn. I walked all the way downstairs last night to go out for a smoke. Remembered I didn't anymore when they were not where I had always kept them. :evil:

Roy

Posted : 21/03/2008 1:56 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

Roy. that brings back memories.

at the friday night jams I attend there are lots of smokers. it is way too easy for me to bum one.
it is rare now, but I do. the next day my lungs feel like dirt.

associtive hbits are the first ones you can drop easy. like getting into a car and lighting up. that has become so automatic. fortunatley, those are the easiest to overcome.
the high stress- I have a bad news day are the ones that will be the hardest.

so many of us have used cigs as a reward.

now, for me, the reward is the lung power I am gaining. I do not want to relapse and jepordize the hard won gains.

hang in there Roy.

Posted : 21/03/2008 2:13 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

yea man, serious props on giving up, stick with it ya hear? I know from bitter experience what smoking can do to even the best of us, and I know how hard it can be to quit, hence my looking at my pack as I type this. :oops: its tough, but you can do it, and you'll be all the better for it. the one thing I could never deal with is other people telling me I should quit - instant way to put me off the idea of trying. I have, however, found one reason to quit (in addition to the life-affirming fact of still breathing, that is) - being a smug git once I do. ah, there's little as life-affirming as that.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 21/03/2008 7:14 pm
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

scrybe...there is no smugness in having quit.
there is extra money in the pocket...
I need bigger pockets!

Posted : 21/03/2008 7:18 pm
Page 2 / 4